Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th December 2014, 08:42   #11
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

I'd back what the others say - contact KENTON. He's incredibly knowledgable and will fix anything. If you can't get hold of him, drop me a PM and I've got his number. I trust him completely.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:07   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
What your seller neglected to tell you is that belts need to be changed every 90,000 miles or 6 years, so on a 1999 car they should have done twice by now.
Farad,

With the greatest respect to Mike, I don't want you to get into a panic after reading what he's said here. I'll explain.

The 6 year renewal period is based upon an assumption that the owner will cover 15,000 miles per year, hence the 90,000 mile life of the cambelts will be reached after 6 years. So let's consider what happens when an owner does, say, 10,000 miles in that 6 year period. The belt with a 90,000 mile life has then covered only 60,000 miles, so why on earth would it need replacing? We know that it won't suffer mechanical failure on a time basis alone because:
  1. The 75 in the Gaydon museum is 15 years old and has its original cambelts. It was started and driven last year with no problems.
  2. A club member recently repaired a K1.8 engine whose cambelt had snapped. The mileage was 128,000 so, as you would expect, there's a considerable safety margin beyond the 90,000 mile figure.

Many people believe passionately that the 6 year period should be adhered to, but as explained above I don't see the logic of that. It is not my intention to re-start a discussion which has been fully explored before, nor am I trying to influence those with strong beliefs which are opposite to mine. I just don't want you Farad to be persuaded that a cambelt has broken unless we have positive unequivocal evidence that it has. And taking an AA man's word for it is not good enough as you've already said.

Regards to all.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 13th December 2014 at 09:11..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 09:21   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If it's any consolation Simon I hope the AA man is wrong, but given the other symptoms it doesn't sound like it will be cheap to repair.

Here's hoping.

Regarding servicing I follow the factory schedules. Always plenty of opinions on either ignoring them when it comes to the age of belts, changing diesel engine oil at half the service intervals etc etc on the forum.

But if you follow the schedule you won't go far wrong - adding any items that have been picked up on the forum of course - diesel PCV filters come to mind.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 21st December 2014 at 23:02..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 11:58   #14
Kenton
Loves to post

MG ZT

I have PM'd you my number
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2014, 13:21   #15
farad

ROVER 75

Thanks, I did find his contact details I sent him an email and a text, no response yet, so I will wait.. meanwhile, I gave my battery to get recharged..

I really hope it is starter, ( I realized it well can be the starter that cause this noise) local mechanic came this morning (finally after 11 days!) and said the issue can be the starter, But if it is cambelt, he does not have any tools to do that, obviously he did not know anything about it, ( although he had a battery, and heard that noise this morning, he couldnt tell what is wrong!, only suggested might be starter or another belt/chain,.. ( so I just gave him the battery to be charged to see what i can do..)
( as suggested by you guys in Forum.. local garage can not help, so I am hoping Kenton ( the one recommended on here) or someone else who knows the type of my car- can come to fix the car..

I should hope for starter otherwise I might not be able to fix my car if it costs more than its price.. and it would be a real shame cause it is a lovely car..
Ok thanks
farad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 15:16   #16
farad

ROVER 75

Default Thanks, Just to update you all commented..

Kenton came down to see my car.
it seems the noise was not from Cambelt! and it was just the starter .
. although there are some other issues to be fixed -like a leak- but I am happy it's not the worse..

Tomorrow I will take the charged-battery from local garage and leave the car to be taken to Kenton on the evening- we already arranged to do that..

He knows what he is doing and a good expert, so I do trust his judgement, and left everything with him to be sorted..

look forward to have my car running again before Christmas .

Thanks again
Farad.

Last edited by farad; 15th December 2014 at 23:59..
Old 14th December 2014, 15:29   #17
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by farad View Post
it seems the noise was not from Cambelt! and it was just the starter ..
Told you!

AA men eh?

Simon
Old 14th December 2014, 19:46   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
then after a few minutes I tried to turn the engine on but didn't start and the BAD noise was coming out while starting.. ,
AND Starter is fine, working ..
Quote:
just to give some more info,

Starter's motor definitely working fine, and the noise it's not from the starter itself
Quote:
there was something else might help you to help me to find out what is the issue;
AA, told me there is no compress pressure on engine and that's why it is cam-belt!
Glad you are on the way to getting sorted Farad, but given what you have said, that the starter motor was fine, why didn't it start the engine?

And I assumed that the AA man tested for compression or did he just guess?

Perhaps Kenton can give us the SP.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014, 19:56   #19
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
And I assumed that the AA man tested for compression or did he just guess?
He guessed Mike. Farad has a V6. Can you imagine an AA man testing the RH bank for compression at the roadside?

Simon
Old 14th December 2014, 22:56   #20
farad

ROVER 75

Thanks, AA did not test anything, he just gave his rough-advice right away within first two seconds of hearing that noise.. (as I explained it earlier..)

For the reason that (a few days ago) I stated 'the starter is working' ; ( firstly-my poor knowledge of Rover's engine! - as I mentioned it before).
AND, because I assumed if the starter is not working then, there would be no movement (and no mechanical-noise!) actually I meant the starter-Motor is fine as it does make some noise!! lool

Last edited by farad; 14th December 2014 at 23:10..