Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th May 2016, 14:12   #11
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Mmm sounds lie yet another seller didn't tell it's new owner of an existing intermittent fault ?!!

Was it a private sale or dealer?
Small time dealer who seemed a very reasonable man. Anyhow, the garage were scratching their heads still. They ran diagnostics though doubt it was T4 whatever that is. I changed fuel filter while I was there, as the car looked abandoned by them. Still no go, so bloke undid injector nut a little and diesel blew out on turning over. He suggested injector problem. Oh dear, money i thought. I asked about engine management e.g.. fuel cut off switch and he said there was an inertia switch. Hey presto, he pushed it in and the car started a treat. He suggested a pothole could have jarred the switch and caused it to slowly spring out. Anyway. Solved. If it happens again i will get the circuit tested for connections.
Loyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 14:22   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If, or sadly more likely, when it happens again contact Marinabrian about his offer of help in the earlier post.

A failing ECM can come and go. Did you check for the oil lamp coming on when it wouldn't start in my earlier post?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 15:10   #13
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
If, or sadly more likely, when it happens again contact Marinabrian about his offer of help in the earlier post.

A failing ECM can come and go. Did you check for the oil lamp coming on when it wouldn't start in my earlier post?
Hi Mike, to be honest I did not check that. I take it the ECM is different from the ECU. I found another post after fixing the inertia switch which suggested the plastic button can sometimes unclip. This would be a nicer conclusion than intermittent problems with ECM. Is there a check I can do on that. If you have contact details for Marinaman then i will give him a bell. Would a faulty ECM activate the inertia switch?
More research to do now!
I planned to take the car on a long trip tomorrow but your comment is concerning me!
Regards.
Old 27th May 2016, 17:59   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Well I hope I'm wrong mate, but getting EP up on the display, as Brian says, is commonly a sign of a fault with the ECM, as is the oil light not coming on with key to position II.

The ECM is the ECU for the engine management (engine control module) - there are quite a few other ECU's in the car.

No a faulty ECM won't activate the inertia switch, and I haven't heard of an inertia switch slowly coming out either as mentioned by your garage.

I've had a similar fault on a non runner that I bought a couple of years ago. Marinabrian not only helped with the diagnosis, which enabled me to get it running on the seller's drive, he also repaired the ECM at a very reasonable rate by return of post.

You can message him by moving your cursor over his name at the left hand side of his post.

Mrs Noc has been driving that car ever since and is well happy, despite swearing she would never have another automatic after an unfortunate incident with an auto Mondeo.
Old 27th May 2016, 19:01   #15
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Will,
Are you in Ventnor on the isle of Wight?
If you are, and you are coming over to the mainland I am happy to have a look with/for you, I am based in Fareham, between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 07:54   #16
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Mike, I have a feeling that the EP reading was due to low battery (after all the attempts to start her). The oil light illuminates when the ignition is in position 2. The Rover has behaved up to now but if I get any problems again I will contact Chris (thanks). I am slowly building up trust in the car but it will take some time. The wealth of knowledge on this site is awesome.
Old 15th June 2016, 15:09   #17
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Looks like Mike Noc strikes again. Car was driving lovely for two weeks then cut out unexpectedly on Sunday. In truth I had been holding my breath since the first cut out had given me little confidence. So, got it towed. Garage I took it to were pretty savvy. Codes read out were; PO190 and P1E00. Glow plug relay was one of them but not significant for a non starter in warm weather. Checked fuel pressure and none present. They then disconnected fuel rail sensor and checked it over. Sensor had good electrical feed, earth and signal. Reconnected and car started. Battery was found to be poor so got that renewed.Road test could not get car to fault.
I will await the next time it fails then contact Chris in Farnham or Marinabrian regarding ECM
Old 15th June 2016, 17:52   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Sorry to hear that mate. When the garage found no fuel pressure were the LP fuel pumps running? If not then the ECM could be suspect, as could the fuel pump relay and the control cable from the relay to the ECM.

Am sure Chris will get to the bottom of it - he is in Fareham though not Farnham - where I hail from funnily enough, so very near once you get over from South Island.

Is it still a cheaper return from your side?
Old 15th June 2016, 19:58   #19
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

Hi Mike. I am doubtful that they did check that. Both pumps could be heard running on turnover by myself. When the car initially stopped the mechanic unscrewed the first injector. When he turned it over I was sprayed in the face so we agreed there was plenty of pressure at that time. Fuel pump relay? is that a plug in that I can do. Control cable sounds a tricky check. The mechanic did note when he did diagnosis that voltage to fuel sensor was 3.7 and did not fluctuate on turnover. Awaiting reply from Chris. I could possibly visit him on Friday am as am planning on driving to Weymouth for the weekend! Hope greenfly will tow me home to the IOW if it fails.
Old 15th June 2016, 20:00   #20
Loyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer diesel

P.S. Meant Fareham. I did have a girlfriend in Farnham once though. Posh.