Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2015, 15:13   #1
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

Default Idiot Old Drivers!

Saw a girl run down today on a zebra crossing, fortunately she's alright.

Went to collect kids from school coming up to zebra crossing stopped as school kids were waiting to cross, as they started to cross stupid old man (Id guess about 80-85) plowed straight on without looking and knocked the girl onto his bonnet.

Thankfully he was going so slowly he didn't hurt her but she was very shook up. I jumped out to see she was ok and he started shouting at her for not looking and his wife having a go too! several kids had crossed before she did it was completely his fault. Needles to say for those who know me I went nuts and told him exactly what I thought of him and old people like him who should not be driving. I then held him in place while I called the police, hopefully they will do him for dangerous driving and take his licence away.

I don't mean that all old drivers are dangerous Im sure there are plenty of good ones but I live in a seaside town with a large elderly population and the quality of driving from these people is generally terrible and IMO dangerous. I really think that from 60 you should be tested every year and from 80 every 6 months. When I get to the age that my driving deteriorates I will voluntarily give up!

Rant OFF

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:28   #2
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Richard,

I quite understand the rant about dangerous drivers and what happened to the school girl, but there are a good few more young idiot drivers around as well.

I would be happy to give you a few driving lessons around any racetrack a p****d off 62 year old......................

Tom.
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:31   #3
jim lee
Regular poster

Rover75

Speaking as one of these oldies (of 72), I completely agree. At the very least there should be a retest at the three yearly renewal of a driving licence, which is required after the age of 70. At least it would be a start.
And I give very little credence to the argument that this might trap some older people in their homes. I prefer that to killing somebody due to my own incompetence.
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:36   #4
vindaloo
Ex Owner

MX-5 ND2 RF

Default Idiot Old Drivers!

A generalisation indeed, suffice to say he is an incompetent & dangerous driver whatever his age is.

I hope when you say 'I held him in place', you didn't forcibly restrain him!

Last edited by vindaloo; 23rd June 2015 at 15:48..
vindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:47   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Stupidity isn't age related!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:51   #6
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Unhappy

I am 83 and I think that you will find that most accidents are cause by younger drivers why do you like to blame older drivers for every thing remember that one day you will be old and it will come sooner than you think
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:22   #7
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Stupidity is the same as a disease it is not akin to age, I can understand your rage it isn't a nice thing to witness especially more so when its a child.
Last week I nearly knocked a lad over when the school's were coming out, he decided at the last second to run out in front of me, Quick reactions from me (60 next month) probably saved his life or at the very best serious injury.

Young or Old we are all guilty of stupidity somewhere down the line.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:50   #8
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Attention deficit in the young and reaction times in the older...

I do get wound up when folks drive too slowly as they get on, it is common round here for people to do 30-40 on perfectly good roads in good conditions with a 60 limit.

To my mind this encourages opportunist overtaking and increases the risk of accidents, especially by the younger, less patient & experienced drivers.

Glad the kid was ok, I cant think of anything worse than hitting a child in the car...
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:05   #9
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Sorry but this post is ageism.

The guy was probably incompetent as a driver and/or was not paying attention but to blame that on age is totally unfounded.

Where studies have been made with age taken as a consideration it is young drivers who are worse. But we don't hear people demanding they take a test every year to see if they've improved.

Let's not just group all people/ages together but deal with individuals who break the law and keep everything in context.

That's my rant over

Harry.
aguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:13   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I agree it's a bit harsh to tar everyone with the same brush I know you did say you didn't mean ALL old drivers.,but perhaps it could have been worded a little different. As said there are good and bad drivers in any age group. I think with some older drivers,not necessarily a test,but an assessment should be done at 70, and if any issues discovered,steps taken to improve,or make the driver aware of the glitches they may have. Tbh it wouldn't harm to do this with any driver,say after20 years.
Let's face it Police drivers have to undertake an assessment every so often to make sure their skills are up to standard.
Hmmm,perhaps I should have kept quiet,some spy from the government could be reading this and thinking" that's a good idea,another way of making money from motorists" Sorry folks,Im off to hide in a faraway place now.

Last edited by RPWC; 23rd June 2015 at 20:44..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote