Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2021, 11:48   #1
JohnQBenutti

ZT-T

Default Re-fixing sagging Tourer headlining

It took me ages to track down the cause of serious water leakage into my spare wheel well and under the drivers side carpets. It was the sunroof drains front and rear, of course. After having the carpet up and running a dehumidifier inside the car for a week, it's now decently dry and I can try once more to deal with my sagging headlining problem.
Does anybody have any tips on the best adhesive to use, please? I did read the old thread that recommended using a paint roller to smooth the material back into position so I will try that dodge.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
John.
JohnQBenutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 12:28   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Did mine using standard spray adhesive from Home Bargains. Get as much of the orange sticky goo off as you can. It's important to leave a few minutes to cure before sticking down or it may show through. Start at the front light area and only stick around 300mm at a time, unrolling as you go. Lots of headlining material on ebay 2mm foam backed. Enjoy.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 20:06   #3
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Did mine using standard spray adhesive from Home Bargains. Get as much of the orange sticky goo off as you can. It's important to leave a few minutes to cure before sticking down or it may show through. Start at the front light area and only stick around 300mm at a time, unrolling as you go. Lots of headlining material on ebay 2mm foam backed. Enjoy.
i think it would be safe to say that the whole headlining glue has broken down so i would imagine once you fixed the part that's sagging another part will sag and so on better to renew the whole headliner job done i had the same problem where it was sagging from the tailgate in about two feet i took it to someone who does interior repair he renewed the headliner for £275 made an excellent job while the headliner was out it gave me the chance to seal the shark fin aerial which was where i was getting water in the boot
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2021, 20:25   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I wasn't suggesting a repair. The old material must be removed, along with the awful sticky orange glue. The new material should be stuck down in small sections so as not to crease and bubble etc.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2021, 06:53   #5
Jeff Turbo
Loves to post

MGZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQBenutti View Post
It took me ages to track down the cause of serious water leakage into my spare wheel well and under the drivers side carpets. It was the sunroof drains front and rear, of course. After having the carpet up and running a dehumidifier inside the car for a week, it's now decently dry and I can try once more to deal with my sagging headlining problem.
Does anybody have any tips on the best adhesive to use, please? I did read the old thread that recommended using a paint roller to smooth the material back into position so I will try that dodge.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
John.
Although a different car, the principle is the same for a 75 or ZT and you should use high temp adhesive spray. https://maestro.org.uk/forums/forum/...g-on-a-montego
2004 Monogram Poseidon MGZT cdti
2004 Pearl Black MGZT 260
Jeff Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 17:14   #6
JohnQBenutti

ZT-T

Default Further leakage problems at OSR of car.

I noticed water beginning to find its way into the near side of the spare wheel tray, a sure sign that I had a leak behind the OSR wheel arch, previously from the sunroof drain. I've now removed all the trim in that area and dried off the 8mm of water standing in the flat area in that space. I'm surprised if the drain is still leaking because the outlet grommet was not blocked and the hose was a tight fit in it. I'm currently soaking parts of the car such as the OSR roof join to see if the water is coming in anywhere else.
There's not much point trying to stick the headlining back until the interior is thoroughly dried out.
Thanks for the headlining tips. Any bright ideas where water might be getting in aside from the sunroof drain? Memo to self. Never buy a car with a sunroof again!
JohnQBenutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 17:36   #7
geo.k23
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQBenutti View Post
I noticed water beginning to find its way into the near side of the spare wheel tray, a sure sign that I had a leak behind the OSR wheel arch, previously from the sunroof drain. I've now removed all the trim in that area and dried off the 8mm of water standing in the flat area in that space. I'm surprised if the drain is still leaking because the outlet grommet was not blocked and the hose was a tight fit in it. I'm currently soaking parts of the car such as the OSR roof join to see if the water is coming in anywhere else.
There's not much point trying to stick the headlining back until the interior is thoroughly dried out.
Thanks for the headlining tips. Any bright ideas where water might be getting in aside from the sunroof drain? Memo to self. Never buy a car with a sunroof again!
do you have a shark fin aerial?
geo.k23 is offline   Reply With Quote