Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2012, 13:54   #1
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile New Tyres

Hi guys,

Since MOT is due I decided to have the rear offside tyre replaced as it was still the original 8 year old one.

Whilst there I asked the fitter why the walls of the remaining three tyres which are all the same brand, Firestone Firehawks TZ200 ( OEM on the tourer) has evidence of tiny splits since these were fitted less than three yeas ago, he said this is probably due to weather being extreme, has anyone else experienced similar problems.?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 13:59   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Hi guys,

Since MOT is due I decided to have the rear offside tyre replaced as it was still the original 8 year old one.

Whilst there I asked the fitter why the walls of the remaining three tyres which are all the same brand, Firestone Firehawks TZ200 ( OEM on the tourer) has evidence of tiny splits since these were fitted less than three yeas ago, he said this is probably due to weather being extreme, has anyone else experienced similar problems.?
No, never - Just because they were fitted three years ago, doesn't mean they were new stock when fitted. Tyres deteriote from the moment they are made, especially when exposed to sunlight - may be worth checking the manuafacturing date code.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 14:31   #3
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

Many years ago I had a Maestro as a company car and at about 25,000 it was in for a service and they picked up cracks on the inside face of three of the original Dunlop tyres. Dunlop took it so seriously that they replaced all four tyres free of charge despite the mileage! I would never take a chance with tyres whatever the age or mileage.
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 15:32   #4
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I might send an e mail to Firestone/Bridgestone see what they say. Thanks for all replies.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:08   #5
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I am unable to find an email address for Firestone Uk anyone have any ideas?. Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 16:13   #6
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
I might send an e mail to Firestone/Bridgestone see what they say. Thanks for all replies.
Hi,

What bad luck - watch out, as if there are enough cuts and they are bad enough - they may all fail the MOT.

What was the date of manufacture on them as a matter of interest?

I have a caravan with tyres that sit outside in all extremes of weather, and it's the sun that goes for them. I try to keep them covered now. as much as possible.

I had to renew them at 11 years old as I didn't like the look of them.

Covering is not very practical on one's car though.

At only three years old tyres should show no signs of deterioration like that.
Highly likely your tyre fitter sold you some old stock.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 16:31   #7
BeeJay55
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer, Connoisseur SE

Quote:
I am unable to find an email address for Firestone Uk anyone have any ideas?. Thanks
Firestone is part of the Bridgestone(Europe) group of companies. Their contact details, together with a link to an email form can be found HERE
Old 26th February 2012, 17:23   #8
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Thank you all for replying, now, I have taken a good look at the three older tyres looking for a date of manufacture (DOT) number and both of the front ones have a DOT number of 1908, signifying that they were made in the 19th week of 2008, interestingly both of these tyres have only marginal splits, which are not on the wall but at base of thread, no such number can be found on the near side rear third tyre, so I am wondering if this was old stock, and as such do I have any come back, I always go to the same dealer so I do know them well, should I take it up with them first.? What do you suggest, as there is very little ware to the thread even after 3 years, 6mm left.
Old 26th February 2012, 18:14   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Hi guys,

I've got identical tyres to your's and they were fitted 5 years ago and have no cracks to the sidewalls.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 19:34   #10
grivas

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I've got identical tyres to your's and they were fitted 5 years ago and have no cracks to the sidewalls.
So what can you conclude from this Colvert?