Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th April 2024, 14:31   #11
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post

The truth is, it to enable load shedding by pricing, ie if you want to use your cooker at a peak time then you pay more 1600 - 1900. So it's washing machines on at midnight.

It's not a good idea to run washing machines and other appliances overnight.

Fortunately, I was in the kitchen when this happened...

In the near future, there probably won't be any cheap overnight electricity anyway, as that's when everyone will be charging their EVs.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 14:35   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
what have people got against a smart meter?

Yes, I'm curious to know too. Two advantages are that the householder doesn't have to read the meters any more and the supplier is less likely to create estimated bills.
Quote:
The truth is, it to enable load shedding by pricing, ie if you want to use your cooker at a peak time then you pay more 1600 - 1900.
Do you know of a real tariff that currently uses this principle Ken? I agree that the potential is there for the future.

Simon
Old 8th April 2024, 14:36   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

We've had smart meters for around ten years now, They've since been upgraded to SMETS2 a few years ago.
It makes sense for us to be on them even more so nowadays to take advantage of cheap overnight tariffs to charge the car.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 15:06   #14
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Had a "smart meter" for both gas and electric for years and no problems, I got it from someone called Mum&Dad- called eyes and brain. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 15:30   #15
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Do you know of a real tariff that currently uses this principle Ken? I agree that the potential is there for the future.

Simon

Octopus Agile
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 19:11   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

[QUOTE=macafee2;2993236]what have people got against a smart meter?

macafee2[/QUOTE
Quote:

Yes, I'm curious to know too. Two advantages are that the householder doesn't have to read the meters any more and the supplier is less likely to create estimated bills.

Simon
The word "smart" I suspect. We don't like smart things around here!

Quote:

Simon
Quote:
Octopus Agile
Agile Octopus is a tariff offer for those whose consumption profile makes it economically desirable. A bit like Economy 7 only more sophisticated.

We've had a smart meter for a number of years. It makes it easy for an energy consumer to be aware of their cosumption habbits. Our smart meter eliminated the need for a similar device which I purchased myself and utilised for many years prior and have not noticed any downside to the smart meter.

Last edited by MSS; 8th April 2024 at 19:22..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2024, 20:07   #17
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Our "smart" meter hasn't talked to the internet for around 4 years now. I have to send the readings in but they say that my readings tally with their smart readings?????
Old 8th April 2024, 21:48   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
The truth is, it to enable load shedding by pricing, ie if you want to use your cooker at a peak time then you pay more 1600 - 1900.
Quote:
Octopus Agile
Hello Ken,

Having looked at Octopus' description of its Agile tariff, first of all it's optional meaning that the customer has to positively request it.

Secondly it's marketed as suitable for customers who don't need to use their cooker between 16.00 and 19.00.

I don't therefore see how the Octopus Agile tariff can be used to argue that smart meters are undesirable.

Simon
Old 8th April 2024, 22:48   #19
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
It is very clear that Yu Energy are the very worst suppliers in the world!
Sounds bad and more so if all you describe happened in little more than one year. Is that on a business tariff? I had to resolve a problem with a former and now defunct supplier via the ombudsman. It found in my favour eventually but it took a year to get there and I had to fight both for most of the time. The default position of the ombudsman in the main was seemingly to believe everything that the energy company stated while dismissing anything I put forward unless I could evidence it - which unfortunately for the pair of them I could and I did. Another trick the ombudsman played was to try to time-out the complaint and dismiss it in favour of its cohort by allowing me days to respond while allowing weeks for the energy company to do the same. The problem with the ombudsman service I guess is one of overstretch because, quite simply, the outfit operating as OFGEM is unfit for purpose. It has been for some years now hence why so many energy suppliers have gone bust and why anarchy prevails with the trickery and harassment to impose smart meters on people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I was under the impression that if you change your supplier, they will only accept you if you have a smart meter fitted, another ploy to get one installed i think.
My understanding is that certain types of tariff might require a smart meter but if you switch to one that doesn't then they cannot force a smart meter on to you just for switching. Well done for standing up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
what have people got against a smart meter?
I understand why some like them but I don't need one and I don't need the hassle that I've read about when these meters stop being so smart. While it is not an offence to have one it is an offence to harass someone which is what is being done. So the harassment is as much a concern as the meters themselves.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2024, 10:13   #20
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

No smart meters here. It’s a modest place, one floor, one study, one bedroom for actually sleeping in and two others, and the usual two ‘offices’. Plenty of smart though.

I’ve always used the old fashioned method: removal of vacuum cleaner, then the folding steps, then two gardening coats and kneeling to read both meters. With a torch. This immediately followed by on-time uploading to relevant site.

I made a change some 6 months ago by actually getting a ‘balance’ figure of my standing on my account. It came as a shock to read a positive figure of nearly 2K. In October. That’s an overpayment beyond that which was required to maintain an averaging seasonal balance.

There then followed a suitable, and polite, request for a refund of the Shylock unnecessary overpayments. ‘They’ are not as smart as they think they are. And I’ll fight tooth and nail (figuratively) to retain the control. The accepted use of ‘smart’ is anything but, as it is elsewhere.