Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd August 2007, 12:35   #11
oakridge
Loves to post

Toyota Prius III T-Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
As a long term caravanner I would suggest putting a bit more weight at the back of the van? Noseweight is entirely dependant on loading? Dave
Not too far back though as it can induce snaking; there does seem to be a lot of caravans on the road nowadays where the jockey wheel is almost on the ground. Weight distribution is the thing.

After caravanning for many years we transferred to Land Rover and Livestock trailers, now that is much more fun. Now you get 3 sows who decide to have a row in the trailer of all sleep in a pile at the back, well, that is exciting.

Malcolm
oakridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:56   #12
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge View Post
Now you get 3 sows who decide to have a row in the trailer of all sleep in a pile at the back, well, that is exciting.

Malcolm
Sounds like my kids bouncing around in the caravan on the motorway.

For the sake of clarity, I would hasten to confirm that the above comment was by way of a quick gag and not in fact anything to do with my practices whilst taking the family on holiday. I wouldn't let the kids loose in a moving caravan anyway. Far better to get them to put their cycle helmets on and sit on their bikes on the roof of the car. again!

Thanks for your comments on the spring assisters, Tigerchubs. I'll give the Grayston ones a go and support a local business at the same time . I'll have to wait until next Spring before reporting back on their effectiveness, though.

As an aside, I always remove the jockey wheel whilst in transit, to improve the ground clearance and reduce the nose weight a bit. I lock the caravan to the tow ball too, so should I park and leave the caravan, it's going to be really difficult for anyone to unhitch and steal the 'van. I always remove the jockey wheel in storage too for the same reason.

Thanks again for your comments,

Cheers, Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 18:21   #13
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge View Post
Not too far back though as it can induce snaking; there does seem to be a lot of caravans on the road nowadays where the jockey wheel is almost on the ground. Weight distribution is the thing.

After caravanning for many years we transferred to Land Rover and Livestock trailers, now that is much more fun. Now you get 3 sows who decide to have a row in the trailer of all sleep in a pile at the back, well, that is exciting.

Malcolm
With many caravans the design fault is in the storage/ gas compartment being at the front. 2 gas cylinders and loads of other heavy stuff in here and getting sensible noseweight very difficult. Try to balance it with other heavy stuff further back. I used to have an Eldis Crown, very streamlined and stable towed with a sierra xr4x4 I decided one dark night to see how fast I could go before it started to twitch [ cant say how fast, but it didnt ] Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote