Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2016, 19:43   #11
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Not as good but they can work well. Depends on house wiring layout really.
I'll try wired to see if there is an improvement if so I can decide whether Power line is worth a shot. As I say permanent wire is possible but would need to run all around my living room, down the hall and around my room where I have the computer. Around 25 metres.
I have the hub next to my smart TV so I can connect by ethernet to that! so can't move it any nearer to the computer really.
Old 12th July 2016, 19:46   #12
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Good plan, give the wire a few days without the USB Wi-Fi plugged in - see what happens.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 19:48   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I'll try wired to see if there is an improvement if so I can decide whether Power line is worth a shot. As I say permanent wire is possible but would need to run all around my living room, down the hall and around my room where I have the computer. Around 25 metres.
I have the hub next to my smart TV so I can connect by ethernet to that! so can't move it any nearer to the computer really.
power lines are normally quite good in my experience, however for this instance, do not use them or even buy them. they will add a complication without finding a source of your problem.

even if it means placing your PC onto the floor for day, it will be worth it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 19:50   #14
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

No, ask around and find a local computer repair company who know what they are doing - ask them to look at it to see what the problem is but NOT change/fix anything before talking to you. If it's something very simple/obvious get them to fix it and put in writing what was wrong. If not get them to put in writing what is wrong, walk back into PC World, show them the diagnosis and DEMAND your money back as what they sold you is not fit for purpose, if they say no say you are going to the small claims court.

PC World are a bunch of incompetent NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- (and I make no apologies for the word filter) I've had similar problems with them recently with a laptop my wife bought without telling me - apparently accepting the the official Windows 10 update was 'installing illicit software which therefore invalidated the product warranty'
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 20:02   #15
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Oh and then buy a PC from the local company (which will almost certainly be a better spec for the same or cheaper price) and never set foot in PC World ever again - I don't believe in wishing any company ill but PC World have been so bad for so long...........
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 21:30   #16
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Oh and then buy a PC from the local company (which will almost certainly be a better spec for the same or cheaper price) and never set foot in PC World ever again - I don't believe in wishing any company ill but PC World have been so bad for so long...........
Well I did have all that in mind so thanks for the input there. There is a great small PC company locally. A really nice set of young guys who have been trading for a number of years now. I had them revert my last computer back to windows 7 and they did a full clean up all for £40 plus I can ring them for information any time.

I think I'll be popping along to see them.

I just got an invite in my in box from PC world to tell them how they did, so I told them!! Hope they read it!!
Old 12th July 2016, 22:11   #17
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

how about just do an full factory restore before u spend 40 pound
could be an simple fix
i have had the same problems before you dont need to spend money to fix it giz an pm and i give you my number and show you/tell you how two factory restore it cos that all what the computer shop will do
also it could be cos your firefox or what ever you have not updated or it could be cos you not installed all the updates what need to be installed DONT PAY TO FIX IT BEFORE YOU TRY SOME SIMPLE STEPS hate computer shops the even charge to put cydia on an moble phone but you can do it your self

windows 10 is an bit ov an pain in the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- to put on some computers might just need an new install put on

my local computer shops charge stupid prices to factory reset an computer or fix an iphone etc its all load ov NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- 40 pound for pressing few buttons on an computer i would drive down for that hahahahaha pop round everyone who has computer problems i make an mint lol

Last edited by saxo1980; 12th July 2016 at 22:18..
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 22:30   #18
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Right now my money is on the USB Wi-Fi stick being faulty or having wrong drivers. If this is the case giving the pc to a repair shop or resetting a brand new machine should only be done when it is show the WiFi device is not at fault.

The PC maybe fine.
The WiFi stick may be picking up interferance.
It maybe just in an awkward spot and not getting a great signal.

Is it a new Wi-Fi stick ?

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 12th July 2016 at 22:37..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 22:34   #19
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

I'd put a substantial sum of money on the PC itself being fine. It was supplied with Win10 installed and was therefore designed to have it work, so there's very little chance of it being a system compatability issue.

The same probably cannot be said for the USB Wifi adapter however. I would search the manufacturer website for any updated drivers and get them installed. Personally I'm yet to have a good result with USB Wifi on any OS and have switched to PCI adapters.

Only do a factory restore as an absolute last resort...I would certainly pop along for a chat with your local friendly independent IT retailer though.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 23:50   #20
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

well the is an fair few options for you to look into i thought you must ov updated it from windows 8 or something well in that case just uninstall your wifi dongle what you have pluged in uninstall it then re install it job done
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote