Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2012, 22:15   #1
bigbird
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 V.V.C.. Connoisseur

Default Cinema

Thats the last time I go to the cinema £14.20 for two adults, four people using mobile phones (nobodies that important that they cant turn them off for 2 hours).The person sat next to me smelt of sick, kids talking and giggling (£3.50 for a hotdog didnt get one) apart from that Taken 2 (liam Nielson)was quite good but not as good as the first one.. so im going to join Blockbusters and have a video night at home in comfort.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 22:24   #2
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I think the Cinema is over rated as well. Frankly apart from the annoying public the screens are washed out and grainy, the sound is often boomy and the seat are uncomfortable. Id put my calibrated 50 inch plasma and surround sound system against it any day.
Old 5th October 2012, 22:46   #3
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

When i was younger we had usherettes who shone a torch in your face if you as much as sneezed , two shines meant you were on the street .

The cinema encapsulates all that is wrong in society .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 23:11   #4
bigbird
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 V.V.C.. Connoisseur

I am not averse to spending money but i would like to think im getting value for it. The film was supposed to start at 20.20 it didnt start till 21.00 and people were still coming in looking for seats.

£3.50 hot dog
£4.00 Medium Popcorn
£3.00 Medium Coke
Second mortgage for sweets, I dont know how they justify it.
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 23:38   #5
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

the last pic i saw at the cinema was about 6 months ago and the wife and i being in our mid 50s felt a tad old as 99 per cent of the rest were about 19 , as for the prices of eatables well it was just a rip off .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 23:44   #6
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

Me and my lad only go when there's a 'special effects' film on. Although it's a tad expensive i think it's worth it. I was dissapointed with the imax/3d showing of Prometheus though - not enough 'special' stuff to justify the price. Transformers 3 was good though, but it went on for too long - square **** etc etc
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 07:44   #7
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

Aye,, The cinema is something we do very seldom now. It's overpriced and the eat's are far to expensive. Besides i think we are all spoiled now by the good quality tv's we all have at home..
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 07:53   #8
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

The cinema have to charge a lot for the food because depending on where in a movies run they are they can make very little on the ticket. In the opening 2 weeks they may only get 10% of the ticket (and then have to pay taxes and expenses out of that). Some studios even demand 100% for the opening weekend. As the run gets older the percentage increases, but to about 70% by the end.

The cinema market has changed totally from a few decades ago, now depending on the type of movie a movie can take half its entire gross on the opening weekend. Movies popular with teens are the most guilty of that. Very few stretch out over the long term. Avatar is a notable exception.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:19   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

The last Movie I went to see was Harrison Fords Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I pre booked four adult 'best reserved seats in the house' tickets on line for the Odeon Multiplex in Colchester (about half an hours drive from mine)
When I got there you have to put your credit card in a machine type in ref number and out pop your tickets, this is to save time queuing!!
Shame the machine wouldnt work, so had to join the back of a very long queue to obtain my "pre booked" tickets.
I'll skip the bit where you join the next queue to obtain over priced refreshments and move onto the Theatre itself.
Got to our reserved 'best seats' which looked like all the other seats apart from a doily stuck over the back......Very tasteful
The film Begins.........Arghh, the picture is standard def and poorly focused, which was nice
Moving onto the sound, in Dolby Or Dts. Can't remember which flavour it was presented in because all I remember was the fact that we were to the left hand side of the auditorium and right above me was one of the side effect speakers which was enjoying itself so much due to being over driven that a bass driver in it gave way and started farting it's way through the rest of the movie
So to cap it off, this evening of viewing pleasure cost me with fuel, parking, tickets for four and snacks for all, around £70.00
As you can see it's been about four years since that movie and I don't intend to be going back to the Cinema any time soon!

As Christian mentioned, I too shall be sticking to my own carefully chosen home cinema in the comfort of my own home from now on

Last edited by coolcat; 6th October 2012 at 08:22..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 08:23   #10
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
I think the Cinema is over rated as well. Frankly apart from the annoying public the screens are washed out and grainy, the sound is often boomy and the seat are uncomfortable. Id put my calibrated 50 inch plasma and surround sound system against it any day.
Would have to concur!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote