Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th October 2010, 15:55   #1
karl_683
Loves to post

Jaguar X-Type

Default A Question for anyone that hosts a website...

Over the past couple of days we have not been able to access our website and emails, both of which are with an external hosting company. BUT I can access them from home and via a proxy and so can the hosting company and so can BT. The rest of the internet is fine btw.

We have a static ip, we are not blocked on the hosting company's firewall or ours, no restrictions on our broadband account etc. We have done a trace route and found that the connecting fails 16 steps along the line between here and the hosts server and that servers ip is the only one we can't access.

Everyone is baffled, hosting company has been really helpful but BT told me to google it! Long and short of it is we are going to change servers but anyone got any ideas what this might be??
Old 27th October 2010, 18:20   #2
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Try switching DNS servers to OpenDNS (You might have to flush the DNS cache first on your machine).

I can take you through some things to troubleshoot if you like? Presume you are using Windows of some sort?
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 23:14   #3
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I would say that if you can ping the IP address from one location and not from another then it is certainly going to be a firewall on the hosting company's system that it blocking you.
I actually run a company that provides hosting (more of a sideline really!) and our server in London is configured to automatically block any remote host that attacks it, for instance attempting to log on more the 5 times in a row using SSH with the wrong password will prompt the system to block that IP at which point ALL packets from the offender will be dropped and they will get nothing. Even pings get dropped. I would suggest that your web hosts may use a similar system and whilst they have not explicitly blocked you their software may have for some reason.

If you are looking for another host then please feel free to drop me a line @ [email protected] and I'll sort you out
guru is offline   Reply With Quote