Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2007, 10:44   #1
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts
Red face Steering controls

Hi,
Have just replaced my kenwood fit head unit in my 2004 Mg Zt Cdti for a Pioneer unit(much better) The Pioneer has a 3.5mm remote steering jack input but I can't find the plug to fit it in the original iso loom from the car.
I have put an infra red tester in the car and it appears that the kenwood responded to infra red codes coming from the sticky out lip above where the head unit is situated.
I have looked at connects 2 and autoleads and can't seem to find an iso steering wheel interface to fit, they seem to list one for vdo, philips, alpine o.e.m fit radios but not kenwood.
Any ideas would be great.

Cheers.
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 15:21   #2
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

You will need a couple of pins for the ISO plug. Follow the lead back from the infra red LED to the box it is connected to, also on that box is a connector with a Blue/Purple and a Black cable. You need to remove those cables from that connector and connect the Blue/Purple into position 3 of the main ISO power plug, and the Black into position 2, then a Rover 75 ISO adapter lead will work - you will also need a Pioneer connector for that adapter lead (which will have the 3.5mm jack plug on the end)
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 16:59   #3
coolcat
This is my second home

Thanks for that.
I shall take the head unit out and have a go.
Will let you know how i get on.
Old 12th July 2007, 20:00   #4
Duotone
This is my second home

Look on the Incartec website, they sell a adaptor kit for Pioneer headunits.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2007, 22:23   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Done It!!!
Done as you said Ray and followed the infra red diode lead back to a box that is screwed to the back of the bulkhead.
On removing said box I found that the cable from the diode and wiring loom(steering wheel) were sealed in the box with potting compound, no sockets to remove.
After a bit of swearing I carefully removed the outer sleeving from the steering wheel loom and found three cables the two you mentioned plus a green cable.
Took the plunge and snipped the cables and using the blue/purple and the black connected them to the connects 2 pioneer to rover iso lead I purchased which has a third block with two pins on it one of which is wired across the yellow power cable on the iso and the other is wired to the earth.
Taped up the green wire so it could not short on anything put the keys in the ignition and bingo, all is working a.o.k.

So it apears that the loom on my car is slightly different to the one you mentioned in so much as it has no removable plugs but that is what wire cutters are made for.
Hope that helps if anyone else comes across a sealed unit and once again thanks for all the help.

Coolcat.
Old 14th July 2007, 10:36   #6
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Sorry to mislead you, the circuit diagram which I was looking at shows the cables going to a connector on the box, it may have been further back in the loom though.

Glad you sorted it out.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote