Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st April 2019, 14:32   #11
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Interesting comments so far.
My initial thoughts, before any searching, were to try to emulate the original silencer. Perhaps some extra noise insulation wrapped around it (I had thought of something like fibreglass, but that is not suitable), then put an outer cover of metal around that, securing with metal tiewraps or similar. Just idle thoughts at the time.
I then started on ebay, looking for exhaust wrap (no real idea what to look for, didn't know if anything existed) and came across many similar items to the link I posted. SOME actually state for use on (m/c?) exhausts to quieten them. Other items popped up in the search. Again, multiple finds, there were inserts for silencers, which redirect exhaust gas towards the innards of the silencer. Also a sort of "expanding" core to fit in the silencer, which you poke up the pipe, then start the engine to warm it. It then expands to add more noise insulation (apparently).
As I am about to dismantle the older car, which has a fair exhaust (but with the same symptoms) I was wondering about experimenting with that one.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained?
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote