Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2018, 14:19   #7681
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Had neighbour fix my steering wheel problem (unable to lock adjustment). Also fitted my sandstone interior panels and glove box. Just seats,door cards,sunshades and centre console to do. And headlining.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.

Last edited by jackatesme; 16th January 2018 at 09:28..
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 15:59   #7682
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
snip-

Ended up cutting down a 32mm driveshaft nut and welding that on. Had to put so much force on it I thought the car was going to come off the axle stands!

]
You jest but back in the 80's I did just that, So much leverage trying to undo a diff pinion nut IIRC. Luckily the trolley jack was underneath taking the weight of the rear axle and no harm was done. I recall I saw my first grey hair in the mirror the next morning though.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 22:59   #7683
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,decided not to let my Moonstone go up in flames!Been using it yesterday and today then decided to park it in the garage.Once started smelt electrical burning then saw smoke rising from below the steering column,before switching it off saw the bulb failure Warning on the high line.Disconnected the battery.Took out the LSM thinking it was that but see no damage.All the looms have no damage as far as I can see.Then too dark to go any further so that's tomorrow's work planned.The only thing I think I noticed was the reflection on the garage doors of either the rear lights flickering or the brake lights.So will start by checking the brake switch first tomorrow.Regards Ry...
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2018, 23:01   #7684
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Hi,decided not to let my Moonstone go up in flames!Been using it yesterday and today then decided to park it in the garage.Once started smelt electrical burning then saw smoke rising from below the steering column,before switching it off saw the bulb failure Warning on the high line.Disconnected the battery.Took out the LSM thinking it was that but see no damage.All the looms have no damage as far as I can see.Then too dark to go any further so that's tomorrow's work planned.The only thing I think I noticed was the reflection on the garage doors of either the rear lights flickering or the brake lights.So will start by checking the brake switch first tomorrow.Regards Ry...
Double check the lsm, that's usually the culprit, strip it down and check for any signs of burning.

Well done for noticing it!
Old 16th January 2018, 01:49   #7685
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T5 View Post
Was it hard getting the door open? I cannot open my passenger door from the outside or the inside. Also need to replace the drivers door actuator as well. How long did it take you?

It was a nightmare ... lol ... Undo everything you can on the card, lever the top edge off the door and you have to be a little aggresive to get any sort of access to the actuator so you can try and get the door open. Fortunately i had a spare card so i didn't need to worry too much about damaging the old one but all in all i guess it took about 3 hours.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 04:12   #7686
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Had neighbour fix my steering wheel problem (unable to lock adjustment). Also fitted my sandstone interior panels and glove box. Just seats,door cards,sunshades and centre console to do.
Headlining?
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2018, 22:52   #7687
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,re smoke and burning smell coming from below dash,took out the drivers seat and lower dash to get at the brake light switch.As mentioned before what a nightmare to remove a £10 switch.Took me all afternoon with bouts of lying upside down and trying to get my hands close enough to prise it out.Finally did it,my guess was right,the wires somehow had shorted near the cable connector and burned through the casing.Will try to split the casing open to see why,only thing I can think off is there seems to be an oil residue around that area so maybe overtime some of the grease applied at the pivot areas at the assembly stage had deteriorated and dripped down or possibly a previous owner had sprayed oil to overcome a squeak!Have ordered a new switch so hopefully that will be the end of that.Pleased that there seems to be no damage in any other loom/wiring paths.Glad it was dark yesterday and I noticed the brake lights flickering otherwise I would never have thought of looking behind the pedals.One other note is when I had the ignition on today to get at the torx bolts to remove the seat the brake lights were constantly on.Regards Ry....
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2018, 23:38   #7688
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Drop links done today and its nice and quiet over poor road surfaces again
Just another off the long list

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 13:25   #7689
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

repaired a key fob. Hmm, both my keys had worn out buttons so bought two repair kits of Ebay, in hindsight I think I might have been better buying some old OEM keys and making good ones out of those.

Managed to get one working, with a combination of new front and old back and after grinding down the old key blade to fit in the new plastic retainer.

The key fob didn't seem to hold the circuit board securely enough to enable the buttons to work properly.

My other fob has the buttons fallen off the pcb and I haven't a soldering iron small enough so will have to wait on that one.

Got there in the end but a lot of aggro for something supposedly so simple to swap over.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 13:37   #7690
Bogbrush82

BMW X3 2.0D

Got a new clutch fitted to Tarquin today.

Picking him up tomorrow.