Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2007, 06:08   #11
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

On the coupe,

You had to enter the manual immobiliser disable code at the drivers doorlock. Otherwise the two systems would conflict.

If you ever removed the battery or operated the door lock with the key afterwards, you had to re-perform the ritual.

No idea how to do it with the 75 though.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 09:56   #12
Rhencullen
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 + Honda VFR 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
But has anybody tried it ?
My nephew had one on his "chavved up" Citroen Saxo VTR...... he seemed to think it was the dogs danglies when he walked up to it ( latest squeeze by his side ) and started the car as they approached

Quote:
Originally Posted by efreeti
Presumably they are quite dodgy on manuals if they have been left in gear. Is that what makes them illegal?
However my sister asked him to take her down to the pub one day ( which was far too much trouble for him ), so in a bit of a mood he stomped off to the car and pressed the button...........

As he had just got back in from his mates' house, the engine was still warm and it started really easily.......... still in gear as he had left it

We still chortle at the memory of him chasing the car - down the drive, over the flower beds, across the lawn - before stopping when it crashed into the conservatory wall

His flared arches and front spoiler didn't look so good after that

But When You Get There, It Still Needs Cutting Just The Same.......

Cheers
Martin
Rhencullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 10:37   #13
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

Tee-hee.

They do sound pretty dangerous for a manual unless some sort of fail safe is fitted. The only obvious way though would be something like the reverse light switch in the gearbox itself which detected when the car was in nuetral but would be a very complicated thing to retro fit. Maybe the ECU already picks up that information anyway and could somehow be adapted to talk to the ignition system. Again sounds complicated!

I have only driven a couple of automatics but don't you have to have it in Park before the engine will start anyway?

I vaguely remember somebody reporting a problem with the factory fitted push start buttons on some of the French automatics. Something in the engine was setting on fire and the only way to stop it was to stall the engine as the button could not turn it off, unfortunatley the automatics are pretty hard to stall so just ended up setting on fire!
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 10:51   #14
Raistlin
Banned

In a manual car, the process of locking the car with the remote, arms the remote start.

If you either unlock the door manually or unlock it using the remote, the remote start is inhibited.

So, you cannot start the car with it in gear.

There is, however, a very simple way round that
Old 1st November 2007, 16:56   #15
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

I have the Clifford remote start fitted to a 2lt auto, and it works fine ask David3807 and MikeHurley, whilst we were and EMS mini meet last week I was showing off how the car could be started and warmed up in the winter and cooled in the hot sumer (HaHa).

The unit can be fitted to a manual, I think the installer said you have to put a micro switch on the linkage so it would only operate when the car was in neutral, and you had to press the remote fob buttons in a curtain way when your switched off the engine from the ignition.

I gather it was a pain for the installer as the OEM alarm had to be disabled and the ignition had to have a module fitted from the chip from the spare key
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 19:22   #16
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fry View Post
I have the Clifford remote start fitted to a 2lt auto, and it works fine ask David3807 and MikeHurley, whilst we were and EMS mini meet last week I was showing off how the car could be started and warmed up in the winter and cooled in the hot sumer (HaHa).

The unit can be fitted to a manual, I think the installer said you have to put a micro switch on the linkage so it would only operate when the car was in neutral, and you had to press the remote fob buttons in a curtain way when your switched off the engine from the ignition.

I gather it was a pain for the installer as the OEM alarm had to be disabled and the ignition had to have a module fitted from the chip from the spare key
on my clifford you had to put the car in neutral, double press the brake and then two buttons together on the fob. you could then either leave engine running, take key out and lock the car, or shut the car down from the fob, lock doors and then come back to it later on and use the remote to start.

I'm sure you could also set it to start the car when the battery was running low.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 20:23   #17
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fry View Post

Certainly was impressive - also liked the idea of all window close on locking by remote and the pager function.
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 20:25   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Any advice of costs?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 20:29   #19
Raistlin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by empsburna View Post
on my clifford you had to put the car in neutral, double press the brake and then two buttons together on the fob. you could then either leave engine running, take key out and lock the car, or shut the car down from the fob, lock doors and then come back to it later on and use the remote to start.

I'm sure you could also set it to start the car when the battery was running low.
That's exactly as mine was

You only had to earth one wire though, and you could make it work in "auto" mode which, while very dangerous, was infinitely more user friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Any advice of costs?
My Clifford Concept 600, with every conceivable extra, including fitment of a remote opening solenoid in the boot-lid, cost me £1200 including fitting about 5 years ago.

Last edited by Raistlin; 1st November 2007 at 20:31..
Old 1st November 2007, 21:05   #20
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
My Clifford Concept 600, with every conceivable extra, including fitment of a remote opening solenoid in the boot-lid, cost me £1200 including fitting about 5 years ago.
yikes. good job it was already on my old coop. had sexy window roll up too!
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote