Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st October 2007, 14:33   #1
swompster

ZT-T

Default Headlight washers

Hi all
Do you have to hold the windscreen washers on for a length of time before the headlight washers kick in as i have had the lights on and tried the windscreen washers but the headlight washers didn`t do anything

Thanks
swompster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 14:37   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Headlight washers activate once every 5 cycles of the windscreen wash, assuming the lights are on
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 20:14   #3
Simon
Banned

-

If still no joy after a few attempts then the washers and/or pipe work could be blocked. A green sludge builds up over time in the washer bottle and this can break apart and block the pipe work.

First course of action would be to poke the washer nozzles with a fine toothpick or similar to try and unblock them. If this doesn't to the trick then allow the water bottle to run almost empty and then add very hot water into the bottle and run the washer jets using this very hot water to try and clear the pipes. If this fails to solve the problem then you will have to remove the front bumper to gain access to the washer tank so you can remove it to clean it out properly.

Whilst the front bumper is off you should check the pipes are secured properly to the bottle and check the pumps (be listening to them) are working correctly.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 20:36   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi Swompster,

As Raistlin says minimum dipped headlights and every fifth use of the wash wipe activates the headlight washer pump for two one second blasts. Power to pump is constant and the circuit is made by way of connecting the negative every fifth action.
When I got my 75 they did not work and it turned out to be the washer pump. On your washer bottle you will have two pumps, the larger and higher up the bottle is the headlight washer pump. After I replaced my pump a second problem was indeed blocked jets at the headlights. It is possible to remove and clean these by just taking the chrome grill and horns off for the main beam jets. Beware, you can actually push back on the jets and then pull them forward to release them from the connecting pipe but when you want to push them back on to the hose you need to support the hose with your hands, hence removal of grill and horns ( and double jointed fingers) dipped beam jet pipes can be reached from wheel arch inspection covers if I remember correctly.

Hope that helps

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 1st November 2007 at 07:07..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 09:00   #5
swompster

ZT-T

Default Thanks

Thanks Guys i`ll give it try over the weekend

Cheers
swompster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 09:23   #6
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

What I've found with mine is; when I start the car, turn the lights on and pull the wash lever to clean the windscreen, the headlight washers also operate, then they go into the 5th activation cycle.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 16:51   #7
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

I have not read the whole post so if its been mentioned im sorry,

But The two pumps are at different levels on the tank,

So if you got a full washer bottle both will work fine,

but if you run down to low the past the position of the pump for light washers, it wont work, but there is still enough for a few squirts for the windscreen washer.

:lol:
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote