Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st June 2020, 07:22   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Spider Bite

I'm not too bothered by spiders, I am aware that there is very little chance of anything venomous doing any damage here in England. I knew that I had company in the lounge and had seen the bigger hairy ruddy coloured beastie lurking behind one of the curtains the other day. It does trouble me when I get a face full of web so this morning thought that "she" had to go. My method is to wrap a piece of loo roll round it as I catch, though this one was worth taking a picture of, so I had a jar ready for the transfer. In an awkward position up in the cornice area, I set up my climbing chair onto the arm of the sofa.

Got into position, wrapped the tissue round it and applied light pressure to then receive more than a light bite (I suspect) in my finger, and shocked I dropped the beast and since then have had a strong tingling in my finger. Oh shock horror. Half an hour and still have the sensation of pin NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- (oh, that word used in this context is not rude) irritation and so far, nothing more. I will be searching more for the spider later, but this time with the vacuum cleaner, it's days are numbered.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 08:02   #2
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I'm not too bothered by spiders, I am aware that there is very little chance of anything venomous doing any damage here in England. I knew that I had company in the lounge and had seen the bigger hairy ruddy coloured beastie lurking behind one of the curtains the other day. It does trouble me when I get a face full of web so this morning thought that "she" had to go. My method is to wrap a piece of loo roll round it as I catch, though this one was worth taking a picture of, so I had a jar ready for the transfer. In an awkward position up in the cornice area, I set up my climbing chair onto the arm of the sofa.

Got into position, wrapped the tissue round it and applied light pressure to then receive more than a light bite (I suspect) in my finger, and shocked I dropped the beast and since then have had a strong tingling in my finger. Oh shock horror. Half an hour and still have the sensation of pin NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- (oh, that word used in this context is not rude) irritation and so far, nothing more. I will be searching more for the spider later, but this time with the vacuum cleaner, it's days are numbered.
Should have used a wet dish cloth.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 08:18   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:

Good morning Fred, bad luck with the spider bite. Are you allergic to bee stings?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 08:37   #4
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

My method is to trap the little beggars in a large Coca-Cola glass, then slide a piece of card over the mouth of the glass, then eject the critters into the garden...where they should be. I don't kill them.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 08:37   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

Vacuum cleaner every time. No mess, no fuss. Even good for flies if you put a funnel on the end of the pipe. ( The suction holds it in place. ) Much better than breathing in any of that flyspray stuff. I bet that kills off some of your own molecules when you breath it in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bitten by a spider. Yikes..jpg (34.7 KB, 9 views)
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 09:34   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Phil, no, I am not allergic to stings.

I've just washed the car and luckily, the sensations have subsided and there is now no reddening, so I am happy that it will not react.

I do realize that spiders are territorial, so when I do launch them outside, they always land more than forty feet from my home.

This beastie is a reddy brown colour and I suspect, only about a one and a half inch span, not enormous.

I really don't have a problem with spiders, and my daughter noticed a change in expression when I was on the Whatsapp with her the other evening. She is terrified of them, so I did not say what it was, but it was bigger than this mornings, and I did manage to get that one quickly with the card and jar manoeuvre. I don't like to damage them, they don't know what we are, and they were here before we were.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 11:21   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

No pesky sprays, no vacuum cleaners, do it right, do it once!

Just dont do what THIS guy did though.

------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg we-had-to-burn-the-house-down_o_2196465.jpg (57.2 KB, 89 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 12:12   #8
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I was bitten by a false widow whilst sat on my garden seat. Felt a slight NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- and thought nothing of ot. A few hours later I was feeling ill, shivering and body aches and my hand had swollen up and was very painful.

I'm not allergic to bites etc. usually but that one! A search on the web (no pun intended) found a number of stories and warnings and horrific pictures of false widow bites. Be careful.

This filters a bit strong isn't it? I never knew the description of the sensation of an injection was a naughty word.

Last edited by RobSun; 1st June 2020 at 12:14..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 14:34   #9
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
My method is to trap the little beggars in a large Coca-Cola glass, then slide a piece of card over the mouth of the glass, then eject the critters into the garden...where they should be. I don't kill them.
Which is the way any reasonably sane person would do it!
Old 1st June 2020, 14:39   #10
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Make sure it wasn't a false widow, these have made their way into England. There is a least one case of someone loosing his foot. Have a look at an image and make sure it was of another type.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote