Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2017, 22:08   #1
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Default Auto inhibertor switch ?

For the last few mornings have had trouble cranking engine on the key. Nothing not even a click,in a panic I phoned a taxi I because I couldn't be late for an appointment .
First thought was flat flat battery but all ancillaries and webasto were working.I checked the voltage on the dash 19/9. And ok 11.7 volts so scratching my head I moved to neural and tried again ,no joy,any way repeated gear selector movement a few times finally started crisply in park.(cancelled taxi )
Now the only thing I can think of is a recent handbrake compensator mod (belated thanks to Arctic) which involved the jacking up and wooden prop of the rear of the armrest cubby and central trim .
I'm wondering if the leverage at the gear lever/dash end has loosened something ? Is the inhibertor for an auto in this area ? Before I start taking apart .The funny thing is once its started Ive never had a problem stopping and restarting . I have two drives one flat for work and visitors the other where I park nose up is about 25° up.
Any suggestions appreciated.Thankyou Paul.
P.s bumped into another ZT driver today so we may have another member on the horizon.
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 22:16   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

11.7 is quite low.... 12.4 plus is better....

If it went start in park then try neutral ...
Old 9th February 2017, 23:00   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Battery below 12v is discharged ...

I've read that the Auto's only start the engine when 'P' Park is selected.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 23:16   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I've read that the Auto's only start the engine when 'P' Park is selected.
will start in Neutral also.

Could try leaning on the gear selector (forward or back) whilst in Park to see if it will start. Also slide the selector up and down from P to 2 and back again, to see if this helps. (Have not experienced this, but read on this forum) Have also read too, that the car will start in Neutral, but not in Park.

Battery does sound low, also, as mentioned, did the headlights flash as you tried to start? (they are supposed to flash when the battery is too low to start - although it didnt happen to mine when my battery drained)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 23:57   #5
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thread moved to a more appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old. This may be the better forum as threads get ‘lost’ very quickly in the General Forum.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 00:18   #6
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Thank you for this ,when I park up and turned off it is about 12.4. When running /charging it shows about 14.5 .only doing short journeys 2=3 miles and when turned off because of the cold tempretures outside my webasto which starts automatically when cold some times carries on pumping for a minute or two.especially with the diesel which we all know runs cooler than other engines.
Battery has a little inspection window green is fully charged ,I know this is only an indication.. Do you think a off car full charge and then a solar trickle charge would help ?
However I'm still puzzled that initially there is absolutely no noise no movement no dimming of interior lights and the webasto is firing up and after jiggling the gear lever including glow plugs it fires up without any labour instantly ,then I can turn off lmmediatly with no chance of a charge and it fires up instantly again with no labour .
I did try it in neutral as in my first post.
Just doesn't make sense to me how one minute it doesn't have the power to start then 30 seconds later after the webasto drawing it even more,it then after further glow plug draw fires up instantly ?
Thanks Paul .
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 06:13   #7
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Starter motor may need its solenoid contacts replacing.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 07:04   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
For the last few mornings have had trouble cranking engine on the key. Nothing not even a click,in a panic I phoned a taxi I because I couldn't be late for an appointment .
First thought was flat flat battery but all ancillaries and webasto were working.I checked the voltage on the dash 19/9. And ok 11.7 volts so scratching my head I moved to neural and tried again ,no joy,any way repeated gear selector movement a few times finally started crisply in park.(cancelled taxi )
Now the only thing I can think of is a recent handbrake compensator mod (belated thanks to Arctic) which involved the jacking up and wooden prop of the rear of the armrest cubby and central trim .
I'm wondering if the leverage at the gear lever/dash end has loosened something ? Is the inhibertor for an auto in this area ? Before I start taking apart .The funny thing is once its started Ive never had a problem stopping and restarting . I have two drives one flat for work and visitors the other where I park nose up is about 25° up.
Any suggestions appreciated.Thankyou Paul.
P.s bumped into another ZT driver today so we may have another member on the horizon.

Im quite interested in this thread for the opposite reason that my auto will start in any gear and it shouldnt. Have asked about it on here before but have no idea where to start looking.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 07:07   #9
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Im quite interested in this thread for the opposite reason that my auto will start in any gear and it shouldnt. Have asked about it on here before but have no idea where to start looking.
I have seen this before when the ecu set has been replaced with one from a manual, whip the ecu out and check the number on it, if it is NNN100692 its from a manual, if it is NNN100720 then its the correct one.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 16:34   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
I have seen this before when the ecu set has been replaced with one from a manual, whip the ecu out and check the number on it, if it is NNN100692 its from a manual, if it is NNN100720 then its the correct one.
I've seen this on more than one or two occasions also, and not just on the earlier ECM, but on NNN500340 with a manual ECM "set" fitted to an automatic

As they say, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, yes the car will start and run, but not well when the ECM not talking to the gearbox ECU

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote