Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th May 2019, 12:21   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Still only £30 VED

I've just taxed the Dacia again for another year, still only £30 for 12 months.

Compare that to the MG ZT and the TF which costs a whopping £341.25 each by DD.

Each year I question why do I still own these expensive old bangers, the Dacia uses the roads everyday, where the MG's only once in awhile.

Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 12:28   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Still think it’s much fairer to put all the tax on fuel and abolish the road tax.

That way those who use the roads most pay most !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 12:52   #3
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Still think it’s much fairer to put all the tax on fuel and abolish the road tax.

Yep! But that is the thing about Common Sense - when you are talking about our political law makers - it really is not that common.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 12:57   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Without getting into a political row it’s high time we, the motorist had a fairer system of tax.

BTW I’ve just spotted a large pink animal fly past my house
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 13:05   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

I agree with you, however it is not about the roads. There is no road tax and hasn't been for nearly 100 years (if I recall correctly) . It is now geared towards air quality though. But what is done with the revenue to improve the air quality is anyone's guess, unless it is used to prop up the NHS for respiratory diseases etc.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 13:24   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

you could sorn the MG if it is likely to stand for a month.

My wife has a Focus, cheap to run, mod cons but I like my CDT and I realise how much it would cost me to get a car only a couple of years old and how long I could tax and fuel my cdt for.
It's not about money, its about enjoyment and I enjoy driving my CDT, sandstone and walnut not black or grey inside.

You know you like your MG ZT

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 13:50   #7
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

My little Honda costs me £10 a year only. Suits me now for the daily 30 mile round trip. I can pay it in 10 installments of 83 pence or something but decided to pay it all in one go. The 75 was of course a nice drive but I don't miss the repair bills or the road tax to be honest
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 15:30   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:

I agree Steve, its about time VED should be incorporated into the cost of fuel. I myself would obviously save a small fortune each year. My ZT done less than 2,000 miles last year, the TF will be no different, but its such a lot of money to pay on VED for some small enjoyment once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I agree with you, however it is not about the roads. There is no road tax and hasn't been for nearly 100 years (if I recall correctly) . It is now geared towards air quality though. But what is done with the revenue to improve the air quality is anyone's guess, unless it is used to prop up the NHS for respiratory diseases etc.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
I agree Alan, its safe to say my heavy old polluting ZT190 would still be paying its share for polluting the air, as I would still need to fill up its thirsty old rusty fuel tank more often than most road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
you could sorn the MG if it is likely to stand for a month.

My wife has a Focus, cheap to run, mod cons but I like my CDT and I realise how much it would cost me to get a car only a couple of years old and how long I could tax and fuel my cdt for.
It's not about money, its about enjoyment and I enjoy driving my CDT, sandstone and walnut not black or grey inside.

You know you like your MG ZT

macafee2
I agree Ian, its not about the money really, more so the enjoyment. What would I do if I didn't have these old bangers to keep alive? Its an enjoyable hobby and a stressful one at times, as we all know.

I've never smoked and no longer drink, don't even eat chocolate any more lol you could say that I have no vices what so ever now, except the cars. I don't think I could put one of them on sorn, which one would it be? its just nice to be able to jump in either one at a moments notice and go for a spin.

I suppose if I look at the expensive £682.50 cost of VED for the two MG's for the year, and I compare this to being a smoker, smoking twenty a day at £10 a pack. I would be spending in the region of £3,640 each year, and that's not even including the cost of buying booze on a weekly basis.

Wow! I feel better now, the two MG's can stay, I may even have to buy another one.

Last edited by Dallas; 28th May 2019 at 22:49..
Old 28th May 2019, 15:32   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

My '56 plate 190 was £555 VED at the start of this month. But, on the plus side, it's worth more than I paid for it over two years ago as best I can tell. Plus my insurance is well under £200.

How much does your Darcia depreciate each year?
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2019, 20:56   #10
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
My '56 plate 190 was £555 VED at the start of this month. But, on the plus side, it's worth more than I paid for it over two years ago as best I can tell. Plus my insurance is well under £200.

How much does your Darcia depreciate each year?
Blooming heck! Stan £555.

I got a great deal on the Dacia, it actually turned out to be the third one we had in just under one month. We had a few problems with the first two regarding faults, so we had to settle for a non brand new one as it had some miles on the clock already.

The reason being was, it was the only petrol Laureate model in the UK at the time, all the others were either diesel or the lower spec version, so we snapped it up quickly. I don't think I would lose too much money if I were to sell it tomorrow, these pre 2017 registered petrol Stepway Laureate models with the Stop/Start and the LG Media Nav are still holding their price in the second-hand used car market (March 2017 and onwards now costs £145 for 12 months VED).

We have saved roughly £600 on VED these past few years when compared to our old 2.3i Ford Galaxy as the daily driver, plus if I take into account the fuel saving running the Dacia when compared against the Ford Galaxy, this easily amounts to £2,000.

These figures amount to roughly a £,3000 saving, this would mean I haven't lost any money really. Also not having to pay for any MOT work or breakdowns over these past few years has been another saving, as I'm sure the old 2003 Ford Galaxy would have needed a few things done by now, so that's another few hundred quid saved.

Last edited by Dallas; 28th May 2019 at 22:30..