Closed Thread

Old 14th June 2019, 12:01   #41
greendriver
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 in Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
And anyone who starts every sentence with the word "so"
and "basically", and those who can't say anything before turning round first...
Old 14th June 2019, 12:30   #42
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

So, basically, hun, it's like .....
Old 14th June 2019, 16:45   #43
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

So, basically, hun, it's like ..... ..............whatever.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
Old 20th June 2019, 18:07   #44
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Nothing new there Ravinder- there are a couple of regimes in the last 100 years had similar values, Chris.S
Old 20th June 2019, 19:50   #45
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
5. Pensions will be means tested, start at the age of 70 and effectively reduce with time.

6. Care for the elderly will be means tested and where appropriate state provided at a basic level.

7. Provision of NHS services will be prioritised for the 10 to 50 year olds, with medical intervention for over 75's limited to managing painful conditions.

8. All citizens approaching the age of 70 will be offered the opportunity to voluntary enter into an agreement that allows a reckless lifestyle, partly funded by the state, between the ages of 70 and 77 followed by a "Logun's Run" style graceful switch-off at 77.

13. .........voting rights will be withdrawn at the age of 70.
mss, if you think any of that is 'funny', then you are a sick and twisted individual.

Your apparent disgusting regard for older folk ignores the contribution they can still make to society, their family and friends, regardless of age or ill health.

There is no point playing devil's advocate in such a way - it doesn't achieve anything and shows that you have some really dark thoughts going on inside your mind.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Old 21st June 2019, 20:54   #46
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
mss, if you think any of that is 'funny', then you are a sick and twisted individual.

Your apparent disgusting regard for older folk ignores the contribution they can still make to society, their family and friends, regardless of age or ill health.

There is no point playing devil's advocate in such a way - it doesn't achieve anything and shows that you have some really dark thoughts going on inside your mind.
Thank you for those observations Bolin.

So that you are not mistaken about facts, I am one of the "older folk". What I think we the "older folk" need to take personal views on is whether we are happy to continue consuming an incerasingly larger share of UK's wealth, which will lead to increasing debt, that will affect the lives of the younger generation in years to come. If an individual is content with with this, then fine. But I would hope that after giving it due consideration, many of us would not be content and will wish to address their consumption accordingly. Equally, some will see it as their right to keep taking what is best for themselves. That is the way of the world

If you do not like my thoughts, put you own proposals on the table for a grown-up discussion insted of attacking me. .
Old 21st June 2019, 22:10   #47
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

mss,in a more serious reply to your views, than my earlier post, i think you are in the minority of pensioners who feel the same as you. I have worked continuously from the age of 15 until i retired at 63. During the those 48 yrs every week part of my pay was taken from me as tax and NI contributions so i am now getting back some of the money i put in the pot. As for number 8 on your list,i am now in the best years of my life,and not making money for the companies that employed and made a good profit of my time.So there is no way i would want to end my life any sooner than it will be. If you feel different to this, i genuinely feel sorry for you.
As regards to the Country's debt i can assure you it is not come about because of the people who have done a lifetime of work.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.

Last edited by jackatesme; 22nd June 2019 at 09:35.. Reason: Spelling mistake.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:04   #48
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
............i think you are in the minority of pensioners who feel the same as you............
I suspect you are right, but that does not make my views or that of the broader minority any less valid.

Quote:
....... I have worked continuously from the age of 15 until i retired at 63. During the those 48 yrs every week part of my pay was taken from me as tax and NI contributions so i am now getting back some of the money i put in the pot...............

As regards to the Country's debt i can assure you it is not come about because of the people who have done a lifetime of work.
I think this is where my views differ from most other "older people". Whilst our generation have consistently worked and paid into the "system", we have also consumed at an unsustainable rate and continue to do so. As a result the legacy that we shall be passing onto the younger generation is one of a debt ridden society leading to a hard and harsh life for the majority. This in my view is worthy of some personal sole searching and where necessary corrective action.

Quote:
............. If you feel different to this, i genuinely feel sorry for you.
There is no need for anyone to feel sorry for me. Quite the opposite - most would find find it difficult to believe how content I am with my life. I feel that I am performing my obligations and duties as a citizen and a father as well as anyone could and with pride. As for death, I am a bit like the Klingons in that a good well timed death will be preferable to a bad life.

There is a tendency on this forum to demonise the young whilst upholding our generation as the guardians of high standards. This is not consistent with my general observation of the young nor the older generation.

Last edited by MSS; 27th June 2019 at 14:15..
Old 27th June 2019, 13:56   #49
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I suspect you are right, but that does not make my views or that of the broader minority any less valid.

I think this is where my views different from most other "older people". Whilst our generation have consistently worked and paid into the "system", we have also consumed at an unsustainable rate and continue to do so. As a result the legacy that we shall be passing onto the younger generation is one of a debt ridden society leading to a hard and harsh life for the majority. This in my view is worthy of some personal sole searching and where necessary corrective action.

There is no need for anyone to feel sorry for me. Quite the opposite - most would find find it difficult to believe how content I am with my life. I feel that I am performing my obligations and duties as a citizen and a father as well as anyone could and with pride. As for death, I am a bit like the Klingons in that a good well timed death will be preferable to a bad life.

There is a tendency on this forum to demonise the young whilst upholding our generation as the guardians of high standards. This is not consistent with my general observation of the young nor the older generation.
Most workers have not “consumed at an unsustainable rate” - most have contributed more than they put in.

I’m now receiving the benefits from my personal pension and savings - and only I contributed to this - no one else. Yes I did get tax relief on contributions but that was because I was not taking the income then - so not tax and nic is payable until I take the benefit.

In contrast - a civil servant pays a measly 6% but gets a fully indexed linked pension linked to salary that is paid out of today’s tax take!

So we should be careful of tarring all with the same brush.
Old 27th June 2019, 14:08   #50
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Civil servants pension contributions vary according to salary. Its not a flat 6 per cent
Closed Thread