Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th July 2019, 08:56   #21
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

You can't really compare the manufacturers figures when the car is not 100% standard.

Mine has a 160 remap, runs on fully synthetic oil and always has millers additive in the fuel tank.

I have only even checked it's mileage once. A long 370 mile, all motorway drive in absolutely perfect conditions.
No wind, dry, not too warm, mostly flat, newly waxed car (Yes it does make a difference), 90% of the time on cruise control. And it totally blitzed the manufacturers figure.

Around town I have no I have no idea.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2019, 15:48   #22
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I have only even checked it's mileage once. A long 370 mile, all motorway drive in absolutely perfect conditions.
No wind, dry, not too warm, mostly flat, newly waxed car (Yes it does make a difference), 90% of the time on cruise control. And it totally blitzed the manufacturers figure.

Good work - one thing I've noticed is that using cruise control seems to increase consumption so one assumption is that the system is applying the brakes to slow the car down at times to keep the speed steady.

Anyone know if that's the case?

Incidentally I've just been to St. Ives and back (a 50 mile journey), along the 40 mph roadworks. I reset the trip computer before I left and the MPG crept up to an indicated 72.4 at its best, but trafic conditions meant that it was back down to 68.9 by the time I got home. Clearly it's not actually achieving those figures, but it's definitely well over 60 and that appears to be to goal that everyone's trying to get to, so the old Rover's doing alright!
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2019, 16:00   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
... using cruise control seems to increase consumption so one assumption is that the system is applying the brakes to slow the car down at times to keep the speed steady.
No, that's not the case Simon.
Smooth and gentle acceleration and deceleration is the way to minimise fuel consumption and in my experience that isn't a description that can be applied to our cruise control!

Simon
Old 7th July 2019, 16:11   #24
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
No, that's not the case Simon....

Cheers - good to have that confirmed!

And yes, you're right smooth and gentle with the accelerator and never use the brakes if you can help it!!
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2019, 17:32   #25
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

If you manage to maintain a constant speed by reading the road well ahead the cruise is smooth. However if you have to loose 10 / 20 mph then let the cruise take you back up to speed, it fair accelerates lol.

However, something I read a while ago claimed that to get the best MPG smooth acceleration is not the way to go. It said that the best MPG is obtained at cruising speed because this is on very light throttle. So the more time it is cruising the better. It stated accelerate briskly to cruise speed (whatever that will be) and get the car into light throttle cruise mode quickly.

I have actually tried it , it totally goes against the grain, but the trip computer in the Suzuki did indeed show an improvement over the gentle (take ages to get to cruise speed) acceleration. Maybe because around town, most of the time you will never reach the sweet spot before slowing down again.

Try it! I was shocked.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 11:47   #26
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Good work - one thing I've noticed is that using cruise control seems to increase consumption so one assumption is that the system is applying the brakes to slow the car down at times to keep the speed steady.

Incidentally I've just been to St. Ives and back (a 50 mile journey), along the 40 mph roadworks. I reset the trip computer before I left and the MPG crept up to an indicated 72.4 at its best, but trafic conditions meant that it was back down to 68.9 by the time I got home. Clearly it's not actually achieving those figures, but it's definitely well over 60 and that appears to be to goal that everyone's trying to get to, so the old Rover's doing alright!
The R75 cruise system does NOT apply the brakes.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 12:57   #27
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Im going Devon next month. Its 4 and bit hrs drive mainly motorway and duel carriage way... Any one who can guess my round trip fuel consumption wins a free look at a raining in boot...
Old 26th July 2019, 09:53   #28
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Ok, iv been Devon and very nice it was. 456 miles of motorway there and back. Going I was in quite a few traffic jams. Mainly Birmingham, Bristol and Taunton area. Coming back was free flowing apart from 50 mph road works. We did 253 miles down there. A lot of undulating back lines and very rarely in 5th gear on a auto box. (Mine changes up around 47 mph) Also air con on for 90% of th hole trips.

Total 709 miles at 50.17 mpg brim to brim. Im happy with that. It always seams to run better after a good trip too. It only does 4500 miles a year and never gets up to temp in th winter months on its normal duties = short trips to work and back (7 miles total, average 24 mph). That sort of work and back driving gives me 36 mpg.