Notices

Old 11th July 2019, 18:31   #11
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I met up with some old work colleagues for lunch a few months back in an area I was unfamiliar with. Parked the car (wifes Hyundai) and right away noticed the signs stating "pay by phone" only. Grrrr

It' quicker ans simpler says the sign, so I decide to give it a go.

1st thing, I have to download their stupid app. Phone didn't have a great signal, so I'm waving my 'phone around like a loon until the app is finally loaded.

Phew, now I can pay for my parking. NOPE! Next I have to register. Starting to get irritated now. More 'phone waving and some typing, followed by correcting the typos, then finally all done. At last!! Now to pay for the parking.

NOPE! Have to log a credit card first (really should have seen that coming).

Standing in the car park juggling wallet whilst waving 'phone to get a signal and simultaneously swearing like a trooper (getting REALLY annoyed by this time) I finally get the card logged. Now, can I PLEASE pay for my parking?

Yes! Success, and so much easier than putting a pound coin in the machine (NOT).

I know one of my old colleagues hates this kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to see what he has to say about it. When I broach the subject with him, he cheerily tells me it was no problem as ".. you don't have to pay until 16:00 hrs"!! That pleased me no end, I can tell you .

Really don't like these systems.

Cliff
Cliff, I like you also tried the pay by phone option, but this was a phone call and I gave up once I had to enter my card details... I've not tried the app yet.

I have found myself refusing to use these new card machines, I have also got back in my car and gone to look for somewhere else to park. Thankfully I do have some secret locations where its still free to park, this is normally a side-road, you're just faced with walking a further distance to the shops. lol

I fear I will soon have to admit defeat I guess, but there is something that doesn't seem quite right when stood in an open car park getting your card out and punching in payment details. My mind tells me I'm not in a shop environment, I haven't even reached the shops yet.

Its safe to say there are many people who still don't use a smartphone, and many don't even have a data package to use. My mother and father are not techie at all, and they are finding some things somewhat difficult in today's techie world we live in. They prefer to pay for everything using real money, they refuse to have a visa card/CC, this has left them in some very awkward situations.

My father is fuming with this latest change, not being able to park his car and pop-in a pound coin as the payment. They both have ill health and cant walk very far, so this is now a big problem not being able to park in town.

They received a parking fine just a few weeks ago, I had to pay it for them online as there was no other way for them to pay it, they don't even have a chequebook. My father even went down to the fine office to pay in person, but you can only pay the fine by card using the computerised machine in the office.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 18:44   #12
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

How do your parents get money from the bank without a card?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 18:58   #13
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
How do your parents get money from the bank without a card?
They still use a building society account with a savings book, they go in each week and take out money over the counter using a passbook. They refuse to have a bank account, you would be surprised to learn that there are many people that still use this method.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:12   #14
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
They still use a building society account with a savings book, they go in each week and take out money over the counter using a passbook. They refuse to have a bank account, you would be surprised to learn that there are many people that still use this method.
You're right I probably would be surprised !

Old 11th July 2019, 19:25   #15
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
You're right I probably would be surprised !
My parents don't even own a TV, this is life for many of the older generation.

Its funny how the millennials cant comprehend life without techie stuff.
Old 11th July 2019, 19:40   #16
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
My parents don't even own a TV, this is life for many of the older generation.

Its funny how the millennials cant comprehend life without techie stuff.
I read that over 75s were the biggest users of the TV. But I take your point, there are probably more people than we think that are not interested in any technology at all.

I used to work with someone in their 30s who didn't trust banks so didn't use direct debit for any bill. Went to the post office every Saturday morning to pay his bills. This was only about 5 years ago.

Old 11th July 2019, 20:10   #17
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Don't have a smartphone, nor a credit card! Went to Shrewsbury last Tuesday and did not understand how to use the car parking machine, thankfully a nice young lady showed me how to. It still accepted real money. Thursday went to Aberystwyth for the day, kept away from car parks!
Last year went to Telford shopping centre complicated parking system that I did not know how to use ended up by a barrier loads of cars building up behind me, no where to pay, someone came up to the barrier and talked into a speaker explaining the problem that I had and the barrier went up and let us out. I will not be going there again!
Now I just look for a side street to park in, keeping away from complicated car parks from now on. Why can't they just have a parking attendant that you pay?
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 20:56   #18
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
I've seen them in Bolton town centre but they still have the option of coins, the ones in the hospital car parks are still coinage and payment by phone but are out of action regular & as you said you see many older people who don't have mobile phones and are scared of getting a parking ticket and don't know what to do.

I have a mobile phone.....somewhere! I don't have a data package for it or even know how that sort of payment malarkey works!

If I'm going anywhere near the town centres these days I use the bus.

And they wonder why town centres are dying a slow death.

There are a lot of things changing & going online only, whereas before you could ring the council office to speak to someone, you now have to make an online account with them and use email .
Agree about why the town centres are dying.

And the stupid thing is that by making the car park payment machines “high tech” payment only - the planners select for those that are more likely to do their shopping online rather than those who prefer to drive into a town centre and walk about
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 21:18   #19
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
I suppose if one had time and inclination you could park,ignore the machine and leave a note on your windscreen to the effect the intructions wernt in your native language say Basque?? Be ok for our various Celtic citizens as well, I will let you know if I get any result, play the pensioner card as well,my wife has a walking stick and I wear glasses. Chris.S.
Do you think i would get away with it if i pleaded in court.
"Ddim yn deall y cyfarwiddiadau."
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2019, 21:40   #20
Dallas
This is my second home

Look at the amount of money that's been wasted, the old coin machines had to be converted to accept the new £1 coin only two years ago, now they are becoming obsolete in many towns and cities.

I can imagine these new parking machines will breed more card fraud, I bet its open season for the criminal gangs out there, new ways to break card security is going to be easy pickings.

Watch this space...