Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th July 2019, 09:21   #1
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Default advice please - injector stuck in head- what to do next

After looking at my car for an issue, I carried out an injector leak back test, and found injector 3 out of spec, so easy job whip injector out and fit a spare.

Not so easy, the injector is stuck solid, I suspect the copper washer had leaked and filled the space around the injector up with crud

So, I have tried warming the engine up, soaking in penetrating oil, carb cleaner, heat, etc all to no avail - the top of the injector is turning in the body.

So I now have the rocker cover off as it was damaged trying to get the injector out, bit the injector is still stuck in there - not broken off yet....
I have run a small drill down the side of the injector body, to bypass the o-ring in the head (let the oil get down to the right place), soaked overnight, and still no joy.

So, I am now wondering where to go next. I have a spare engine, so parts are not a problem, bit wondering how much more I can do to this injector before it breaks off, and is it worth carrying on, poor do I swap the head, or even the whole engine - just wondering which is easiest (and cheapest) - head gasket looks to be £50, and suspect I will need injector seats recutting, or swap engine and change slave cylinder. (Clutch is only 12 months old, so will be fine)

Thoughts please

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 10:22   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Pop mickeyboy a message mate he may be able to provide some guidance on how to get it out. Don't think any injector has beat him yet
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 13:13   #3
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the reply Rick.
Got a result in the end, found another thread where Mike Noc had a similar problem, and made a slide hammer attachment, which he let me borrow.
Tip for those with a fuel burning heater, after a night soaking the injectors, you can still get the engine warmer to help extraction by running the heater not sure if that helped - they didn't budge first time I tried, but with the slide hammer and a warm engine, problem solved.

I need to make a slide hammer for my use - the eBay Bosch injector puller only serve to tire my arm- wrong direction, and too light.
Regards
Chris

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:41   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Chris I am removing an injector tomorrow hopefully it will come out with my pry bar, and I do not have to use the slide hammer did one at the local nano meet last weekend popped out nicely.

Photo's taken for me by Rob (trebor)

Manifold & injector connections removed

Fuel rail / injector connections undone and removed.

Undo the little 8mm nut holding the injector into the head, retrieve with a magnet so not to drop it in the engine bay.

Using a metal bar to pry off save damaging the cam cover pry up slowly.

Injector should come out easy if engine is nice and hot, but not always and you have to resort to using a slide hammer

Replace with another injector.

Always use a new copper washer on the end of the injector, insert into engine making sure it is fully seated down even if you have to tap or push it home, them fit 8mm nuts and tighten them down.

Re-fit the connectors and manifold start the car and all should be ok, but as Chris points out it does not always go to plan, then you have to think out side the box

Slide hammer

What an injector looks like taken apart.

There are some very small parts and if any are lost game over.

Cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 15:19   #5
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Pop mickeyboy a message mate he may be able to provide some guidance on how to get it out. Don't think any injector has beat him yet
Yeah you’re right rick,I’ve never had one beat me yet, that kid that Artic has looks very similar to mine perhaps just a different brand,really good bit of kit mine has never let me down.
Glad to hear Chris managed to get his injector out otherwise I would’ve loaned him my kit
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 18:30   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Thanks for the reply Rick.
Got a result in the end, found another thread where Mike Noc had a similar problem, and made a slide hammer attachment, which he let me borrow.

I need to make a slide hammer for my use - the eBay Bosch injector puller only serve to tire my arm- wrong direction, and too light.
Regards
Chris
Glad you are sorted Chris - great when a GhettoTech tool does the job.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 20:35   #7
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Artic
Do you have a link for that kit/model number so I can search? Looks good - perhaps not in the same league as mike's, but probably good enough for most jobs.

Off road for a few days though, as injector seat looks erroded, and as a seat cutter can be had cheap enough I have decided to wait a few days and do the job properly.
On the bright side, this means I have time to change the exhaust as found a hole in the back box, above the tail pipes, and having a cat back stainless system spare it seems silly to try and patch, given it is right on the joint, and will be thin everywhere around the hope.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 27th July 2019, 23:11   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb750chris View Post
Hi Artic
Do you have a link for that kit/model number so I can search? Looks good - perhaps not in the same league as mike's, but probably good enough for most jobs.

Off road for a few days though, as injector seat looks erroded, and as a seat cutter can be had cheap enough I have decided to wait a few days and do the job properly.
On the bright side, this means I have time to change the exhaust as found a hole in the back box, above the tail pipes, and having a cat back stainless system spare it seems silly to try and patch, given it is right on the joint, and will be thin everywhere around the hope.

Hi Chris
Here you go worth the price I think

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14PC-Dies...221a1aa6b3d8c9

ad altiora tendo.

Old 2nd August 2019, 19:46   #9
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Back on the road now.
If anyone local needs to borrow a seat cutter, or slide hammer let me know.
Chris

Last edited by cb750chris; 7th August 2019 at 11:25..
Old 2nd August 2019, 22:57   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Well my slide hammer will be coming out of its slumber tomorrow, after an unsuccessful attempt to remove an injector earlier this evening, engine was really nice and hot, but the pry bar would not budge, we even tried the trick of unplugging the cam sensor and cranking the car a few times hoping it would pop up NO.

We did a leak back test first it only took 38 seconds to fill the bottle the other three never even reached the bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11540.jpg (122.1 KB, 39 views)

ad altiora tendo.