Notices

Old 27th July 2019, 15:24   #147711
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Okay Richard, I won’t delay you from your tasks. Take care.
That wasn’t meant to insinuate you are hassling me Phil, sincere apologies if it came across that way I know you mean well, and this stomach thing ,as I said isn’t a bother, it has occurred twice within a period of 2 months. I collected the script today and will start it tomorrow, as atm I am dosed up on the likes of sinutab and paracetamol. Feel like ( rhymes with hit) but I am the only one who can see to my mum, so will shortly be heading up to make her tea.
So much for my birthday tomorrow, will likely spend most of it in bed.
Old 27th July 2019, 18:09   #147712
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Evening all. I’ve just about recovered from Thursday, if you recall, going down to Peterborough for a funeral. What a day that turned into.

Up at half three in the morning, bus into Edinburgh for the 5:48 train to Peterborough. One of our neighbours has a key, we’d arranged for her to let the girls out a couple of times and feed them. Got down there just before ten, jeez it was hot even then. Funeral, reception after it then to Ging’s friends place for a wee while before heading back to the station. This is where it all started going Pete Tong! No doubt you saw in the news about the rail disruption, Peterborough was the epicentre! The extreme temperatures meant the tension in the overhead power lines went causing them to sag and end up wrapped around the pantograph on a 225 set just north of Peterborough. We were at the station for the 16:18 to Edinburgh, absolutely everything was stopped. The heat was unbearable, mid/high 30s, the air con in the ticket hall/waiting area couldn’t cope and going outside made no difference, there was a breeze but it was so hot it was like standing in front of a fan oven with the door open! Staff were handing out bottles of water but it was so warm you could have made an acceptable cup of tea with it. Ambulance staff kept appearing because someone collapsed, St John’s Ambulance staff wandering around as well. There was even a Police van arrived carrying a trolley of bottled water!

We finally got on a service going as far as Newcastle but the air con wasn’t working on the coach we were in. LNER staff advised they couldn’t get it working, there would be another train heading north “soon” if anyone wanted to wait . . . . sodthat! I knew that because it was an "old" HST set once it got on the move the open windows in the doors would create a thru draft and cool things down. I think we finally left Peterborough about 19:30, only good thing was the buffet (drinks, snacks etc) was free. It was by no means a high speed run, I presume there were speed restrictions all over the place due to rail temperature. They announced passengers for Edinburgh should get off at York and get on the train following us, which we did. Again it was a HST and we were sitting right next to the guard’s compartment and I could overhear what was being said. The master plan was that the train would go to Darlington where the driver would changeover with a train coming south. The flaw in that plan was that the driver on our train had already exceeded his driving hours! The guard announced there was another train coming in heading north if anyone wanted to get on it but it was already full and standing, we decided to stay where we were. We had to wait for the driver from the north who was going to take over at Darlington. Ging phoned our neighbour; she checked on the girls and let them out again.

I have no idea when we left York but we arrived into Edinburgh around 2am. By the time we actually got home it was 3am, nigh on 12 hours after we set off home and 24 hours since we got up! The girls were absolutely hysterical when we came in, we'd been away for about 22 hours.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 18:41   #147713
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Evening all. I’ve just about recovered from Thursday, if you recall, going down to Peterborough for a funeral. What a day that turned into.

Up at half three in the morning, bus into Edinburgh for the 5:48 train to Peterborough. One of our neighbours has a key, we’d arranged for her to let the girls out a couple of times and feed them. Got down there just before ten, jeez it was hot even then. Funeral, reception after it then to Ging’s friends place for a wee while before heading back to the station. This is where it all started going Pete Tong! No doubt you saw in the news about the rail disruption, Peterborough was the epicentre! The extreme temperatures meant the tension in the overhead power lines went causing them to sag and end up wrapped around the pantograph on a 225 set just north of Peterborough. We were at the station for the 16:18 to Edinburgh, absolutely everything was stopped. The heat was unbearable, mid/high 30s, the air con in the ticket hall/waiting area couldn’t cope and going outside made no difference, there was a breeze but it was so hot it was like standing in front of a fan oven with the door open! Staff were handing out bottles of water but it was so warm you could have made an acceptable cup of tea with it. Ambulance staff kept appearing because someone collapsed, St John’s Ambulance staff wandering around as well. There was even a Police van arrived carrying a trolley of bottled water!

We finally got on a service going as far as Newcastle but the air con wasn’t working on the coach we were in. LNER staff advised they couldn’t get it working, there would be another train heading north “soon” if anyone wanted to wait . . . . sodthat! I knew that because it was an "old" HST set once it got on the move the open windows in the doors would create a thru draft and cool things down. I think we finally left Peterborough about 19:30, only good thing was the buffet (drinks, snacks etc) was free. It was by no means a high speed run, I presume there were speed restrictions all over the place due to rail temperature. They announced passengers for Edinburgh should get off at York and get on the train following us, which we did. Again it was a HST and we were sitting right next to the guard’s compartment and I could overhear what was being said. The master plan was that the train would go to Darlington where the driver would changeover with a train coming south. The flaw in that plan was that the driver on our train had already exceeded his driving hours! The guard announced there was another train coming in heading north if anyone wanted to get on it but it was already full and standing, we decided to stay where we were. We had to wait for the driver from the north who was going to take over at Darlington. Ging phoned our neighbour; she checked on the girls and let them out again.

I have no idea when we left York but we arrived into Edinburgh around 2am. By the time we actually got home it was 3am, nigh on 12 hours after we set off home and 24 hours since we got up! The girls were absolutely hysterical when we came in, we'd been away for about 22 hours.
Wow! What a day. At least you made it home, eventually.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 20:08   #147714
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
That wasn’t meant to insinuate you are hassling me Phil, sincere apologies if it came across that way I know you mean well, and this stomach thing ,as I said isn’t a bother, it has occurred twice within a period of 2 months. I collected the script today and will start it tomorrow, as atm I am dosed up on the likes of sinutab and paracetamol. Feel like ( rhymes with hit) but I am the only one who can see to my mum, so will shortly be heading up to make her tea.
So much for my birthday tomorrow, will likely spend most of it in bed.
There is no need to apologise about anything Richard. My comment was brief as I am having a bad day with the shingles and the neuropathic pain in the eye+ head. The main thing is looking after yourself and your mum. Ta Ta for now
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 20:16   #147715
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post

I don’t understand why the railway tracks in the UK suffer so badly with the heat? Are they made from inferior materials? In comparison to Kenya where the temperatures can reach 45C out in the bush, the railway tracks survive and the trains run on time to the very minute, but they were built by the Chinese

You had a long day Steve, what a nightmare it was and what a wonderful welcome you had from the girls when you got home.
Old 27th July 2019, 21:08   #147716
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
I don’t understand why the railway tracks in the UK suffer so badly with the heat? Are they made from inferior materials?
If these sort of 30+ temperatures were the norm the tracks would be laid to those specifications Phil. The UK uses continuous welded rail on mainlines, that's why you no longer get the clickety clack you used to get with the old 60' lengths! The rails are laid at a temperature mid range between the normal extremes in that area, pre stressed and welded together, makes for a smoother ride and less wear on trains and track but there's the possibility of the rails buckling in extreme heat outwith the specifications the rail was laid to. If "critical rail temperature" is reached speed restrictions are imposed, there's no way of knowing the rails have buckled other than visually.

Its a similar problem with the overhead lines, there are weights built in every so far to compensate for expansion but 35+ temperatures are outwith the normal specifications.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 27th July 2019 at 21:10..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2019, 21:54   #147717
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
There is no need to apologise about anything Richard. My comment was brief as I am having a bad day with the shingles and the neuropathic pain in the eye+ head. The main thing is looking after yourself and your mum. Ta Ta for now
You take care too Phil, hope the pain subsides
Old 28th July 2019, 07:07   #147718
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Good morning all and welcome to the day What is everyone up to? Yesterday I was stressed out organising an appointment with a vascular surgeon in Bristol and organising a vascular scan for monitoring the bypass and the aneurysms.

This involves speaking with the health insurance company to ask them to authorise payments and speaking to the surgeon to get him to agree to see me. His secretary said he was in the theatres all day and she would not be able to speak to him until tomorrow. I got the go ahead from the insurance company, such a relief as sometimes they say no.

Then I had to do some DIY to reinforce the new bed and put up some blinds, whilst having to contend with the headaches and eye pain. There is always something to do
Old 28th July 2019, 07:19   #147719
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Good morning all and welcome to the day What is everyone up to? Yesterday I was stressed out organising an appointment with a vascular surgeon in Bristol and organising a vascular scan for monitoring the bypass and the aneurysms.

This involves speaking with the health insurance company to ask them to authorise payments and speaking to the surgeon to get him to agree to see me. His secretary said he was in the theatres all day and she would not be able to speak to him until tomorrow. I got the go ahead from the insurance company, such a relief as sometimes they say no.

Then I had to do some DIY to reinforce the new bed and put up some blinds, whilst having to contend with the headaches and eye pain. There is always something to do
Morning Phil,

Don't think we will be sun bathing today

Got a washing machine, oven and fridge freezer to remove today.
They were going to be left but the purchasers have decided they don't want them.
The washing machine Ern (Ros's Brother) is going to have. The fridge freezer Ros and I will have here as it is newer than hers. The oven will be going to the tip as it is gas.

Then I'll slap some paint on the walls behind where they were parked.

You take it steady yourself Phil. I'm not even going to ask what the bed reinforcment is needed for
Old 28th July 2019, 07:30   #147720
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning all from sunny Saltash.

Off to the deepest part of Cornwall today with the MGOC. Taking Banana as the MG club are the stars of the show.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote