Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th December 2017, 09:15   #171
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Believe every word ... at your peril.

Also, put lots of sawdust in your gearbox to make it run more smoothly and silently.

Yep, and banana skins in the diff..

I'm an oil change fanatic, that's why I was shocked when the OH's Honda failed it's MOT on emissions, according to the tester it just needed an oil change to pass.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 13:30   #172
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

This reminds me of a story from a friend of mine who used to be a BT engineer.

Every morning before you took your van out you had to fill in a very long checklist of items, eg radiator fluid level, brake fluid level, washer fluid level, tyre pressures, bulbs etc.....

But in truth "nobody ever bothered"

He got about 3 miles down the road and steam was pouring from under the bonnet and the temperature gauge needle was on MAX !

Looking under the bonnet he soon spotted that the radiator had GONE .... yes GONE .... it had been stolen whilst parked up in the depot overnight.

It took a lot of explaining and wriggling to get out of the fact that he had signed off all the checks as being completed .... even the "radiator" water level ...
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 14:42   #173
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
This reminds me of a story from a friend of mine who used to be a BT engineer.

Every morning before you took your van out you had to fill in a very long checklist of items, eg radiator fluid level, brake fluid level, washer fluid level, tyre pressures, bulbs etc.....

But in truth "nobody ever bothered"

He got about 3 miles down the road and steam was pouring from under the bonnet and the temperature gauge needle was on MAX !

Looking under the bonnet he soon spotted that the radiator had GONE .... yes GONE .... it had been stolen whilst parked up in the depot overnight.

It took a lot of explaining and wriggling to get out of the fact that he had signed off all the checks as being completed .... even the "radiator" water level ...
Sounds about right Lol, why do you think so many engineers drove marinas as personal cars in the 70s and 80s Lol

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 08:07   #174
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Never heard of the suck through system then John? In the early days of petrol turbocharging you either blew pressurised air from the turbo through the carburettor, picking up fuel on the way, or, you sucked through a carb - usually an SU. The fuel would then travel through the turbo into the inlet manifold. Also, interestingly, if you think about it, closing the throttle meant vacuum being applied across the compressor end of the turbo. So they were fitted with carbon type seals, to prevent sucking the lubricating oil into the airstream. The problem with these seals were that they increased drag, thereby introducing turbo lag.
Later, efi'd engines don't subject turbos to this vacuum, hence the carbon seals have gone, in its place is something akin to a piston ring - simple, and no drag..

Saw this early system for a supercharger yesterday.

Beautiful car, but I wouldn't like to take it through any standing water!

PS photo of the complete car is here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=277588

Last edited by Mike Noc; 2nd January 2018 at 11:01..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 12:10   #175
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
.... As a start the Rover 75 at over ten years old cannot cope well with rain water (when wet or when frozen). These cars after 10 years old will start to leak around the bulkhead, sunroof, boot and locks. .....
Which part of the bulkhead leaks?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 14:49   #176
Olde faithful
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER

Quote:
Looking at all the various posts and my recent purchase of an 06 Rover 75 CDTi, it seems to me that the Rover 75 at over 10 years old has become a very different car.

The seller of my car was genuine but he did not know the problems he was passing on.

As a start the Rover 75 at over ten years old cannot cope well with rain water (when wet or when frozen). These cars after 10 years old will start to leak around the bulkhead, sunroof, boot and locks. That not only turns the cabin of the car into a paddling pool but plays havoc with the electrics and locking.

We have one of the most sound engine and gearboxes on the Rover 75 but the problems that are now emerging are more awkward to fix than a worn out engine or gearbox (where most back street garages can throw in a s/h unit to an average older car quite cheaply)

I have an enormous job to not only strip out the drenched main carpet in winter, but also be accurate and certain about both the present leaks (there are at least six leaks) and other weak points for potential future rain water leaks before I put the carpets back in.

But from postings on forums there are very many potential rain water leaks (and in addition freezing rain issues) on a Rover 75 that require a proactive approach.

If we look at the postings on forums it is obvious that unless we get a better understanding and be clearer about what is happening to the decade plus old Rover 75 it will no longer be viable for most people.

Happy Christmas
I can honestly say my 17 year Rover 75 tourer does not let in any water, it does not matter if its a monsoon....zero wet carpets, i always check them, i have had R75S which do but this particular zero, bone dry. Thats why i kept it, from brand new , it was a little unique to say the least, it still costs money elsewhere, like today had to have a new maff sensor, but then i cant remember the last time it had a new one , on checking my service records it was seven years ago, so its done well.

I must agree out of all the Rover cars on the road the rover 75 is still the ones you see out and about, i saw 5 this morning all mark ones though from 2004 to 2000 age groups, and i saw a Rover 100 convertible in red and 1995 N reg R8 in a very STRANGE colour which i was NOT familiar with.

The Rover 75 is a big luxury car and i love mine, and they will be like the P5 or Jag MK2 well desirable in years to come that i am in no doubt about.

If you want a problem free car its a new one im afraid, however just because ours cost several hundred to repair does not mean they are costly and A new one will set you back £16000 or more and worth two pence at year 4. so spread that monies out over 48 months, its more costly and depreciation kills you. The Rover 75 heading for depreciation free in the next two years. LOVELY!

Last edited by Olde faithful; 30th July 2019 at 15:02..
Olde faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2019, 15:04   #177
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Which part of the bulkhead leaks?
Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 30th July 2019, 15:35   #178
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
These cars after 10 years old will start to leak around the bulkhead, sunroof, boot and locks.
"Will" is not the correct choice of word. Ed3 should have said: "may". So Blink, you can sleep at night again.

Simon
Old 30th July 2019, 16:12   #179
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
"Will" is not the correct choice of word. Ed3 should have said: "may". So Blink, you can sleep at night again.

Simon
The reason I asked is that I'm wondering if a faulty seal somewhere on the bulkhead might be the source of my heavy condensation problems. It's so heavy I've had water running out of the front interior lamp cluster and dripping onto the gear lever area. In cold weather, condensation forms on the metal roof (the underside of it) and drips onto the headlining. It then runs forward on top of the headlining until it reaches the lamp cluster, where it escapes downwards.
Old 30th July 2019, 16:18   #180
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well Ed3 hasn't posted for over 18 months, so either he has sorted everything and his car has behaved impeccably since then, or he has moved on.

I suspect the latter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote