Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th August 2019, 22:20   #1
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Default Reluctant sales

I see a lot of cars fall in the category of "reluctant sale" these days. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

It's just that when I am reluctant to do something, it doesn't happen.

I would say that if you are selling your car, do it willingly and with visibly unbounded enthusiasm!

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 06:06   #2
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Well my Contemporary was a reluctant sale - cracking car, but I had to let it go to be able to take on my brother's ZT. I knew I wanted to spend serious money on that and couldn't look after both that way on my wages. Money or lack of is probably most cases. Or ill health?

Last edited by Dawn; 15th August 2019 at 06:07.. Reason: Typo
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 06:26   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I see a lot of cars fall in the category of "reluctant sale" these days. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

It's just that when I am reluctant to do something, it doesn't happen.

I would say that if you are selling your car, do it willingly and with visibly unbounded enthusiasm!

unemployment, space, financial constraints, moving house all reasons why a sale could be reluctant. They don't want to sell but have/need to.

I'm not convinced that not doing something is reluctant. Perhaps I'll get corrected but I think you still do something even though you are reluctant to do it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 07:25   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Reluctant is too milder word for how I felt when selling my Range Rover and then a decade later my Discovery. Both V8’s on LPG - awesome vehicles I did not want to sell but circumstances dictated that there really was little option.

Both were practical beasts that towed our twin axle caravan and horse box (not at the same time.....) with consummate ease.

The burble from the engines was a classic sound and I remember distinctly how both new owners enjoyed a slightly heavy right foot as they drove away. Lovely sound - and as I heard it for the last time - it left very mixed emotions.

The worst “Reluctant sale” tho’ was my GT6 - about 35 years ago - had to sell because SWMBO was pregnant with our first child and she got trapped in the car with a braxton hicks contraction such that the “bump” was under the steering wheel.

Now that really was a very sad sale of a much loved car.

“Reluctant” really doesn’t come close.

Last edited by Darcydog; 15th August 2019 at 07:28..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 07:37   #5
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Reluctant is too milder word for how I felt when selling my Range Rover and then a decade later my Discovery. Both V8’s on LPG - awesome vehicles I did not want to sell but circumstances dictated that there really was little option.

Both were practical beasts that towed our twin axle caravan and horse box (not at the same time.....) with consummate ease.

The burble from the engines was a classic sound and I remember distinctly how both new owners enjoyed a slightly heavy right foot as they drove away. Lovely sound - and as I heard it for the last time - it left very mixed emotions.

The worst “Reluctant sale” tho’ was my GT6 - about 35 years ago - had to sell because SWMBO was pregnant with our first child and she got trapped in the car with a braxton hicks contraction such that the “bump” was under the steering wheel.

Now that really was a very sad sale of a much loved car.

“Reluctant” really doesn’t come close.
Oh my word, I feel your pain there.
Having to sell a GT6 must classify as something akin to torture.
One of the all time classic designs and such a beautiful car. I can wish.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 08:11   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Oh my word, I feel your pain there.
Having to sell a GT6 must classify as something akin to torture.
One of the all time classic designs and such a beautiful car. I can wish.
Thanks.....

Mk 3 - totally renovated - she was Emerald Green.........

With overdrive on 3rd and 4th.......

Twin Stromborgs as I recall.

God I loved that car........
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 08:38   #7
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I’ve reluctantly scrapped 3 cars and it hurt. That decision as to whether to spend another shed load of money or break it is a difficult one.
I’ve recently thought about selling my LPG V6 but easily talked myself out of doing it. That would be a foolish sale.
Old 15th August 2019, 10:43   #8
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

'Reluctant' for me is the position I am in right now. I love my car it's everything I want from a motor and it's my hobby. But my wife now finds getting in and out more difficult so ideally need something with higher seats.

In addition we travel to Portugal each year and at 145K on the clock it's on my mind that 'whats next to go' as home and away I have had one or two failures, crank pulley, alternator, starter... an obsolete make of car in a foreign land means parts will not likely be off the shelf. So my head says its time to move on but my heart suggests differently.

Having looked for a while I just cannot find a car that I really want, perhaps that's because I don't really want to see mine go.

So for now I am preparing my usual plethora of spares for next months cruise through Iberia with fingers crossed.

Whilst I think that the help from the Forum is excellent and wouldn't be without it I do find a negative side because you read about all the things that can and do go wrong which sows a seed in the mind that 'that could happen to me'. It's like visiting hospital you find mainly sick people. I used to drive my old 800 with similar mileage all over the place without problems or negative thoughts and I never looked at the forums!

Still I won't stop following this forum so for now the 'reluctance' continues!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 10:48   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

I've just "reluctantly" paid half the Zeds perceived value for a few parts

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 11:13   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Well my Contemporary was a reluctant sale - cracking car, but I had to let it go to be able to take on my brother's ZT. I knew I wanted to spend serious money on that and couldn't look after both that way on my wages. Money or lack of is probably most cases. Or ill health?
Dawn - yours is an exceptional case and one that everyone who knows you or of you would understand/appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
unemployment, space, financial constraints, moving house all reasons why a sale could be reluctant. They don't want to sell but have/need to.

I'm not convinced that not doing something is reluctant. Perhaps I'll get corrected but I think you still do something even though you are reluctant to do it.

macafee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
'Reluctant' for me is the position I am in right now. I love my car it's everything I want from a motor and it's my hobby. But my wife now finds getting in and out more difficult so ideally need something with higher seats.

............!
I would guess that such circumstances probably account for no more than a few percent of "reluctant" car sale offers, not the 30+ percent described as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
I've just "reluctantly" paid half the Zeds perceived value for a few parts

C
Surely, you did it willingly rather than reluctantly?

in the majority of cases the "sale offers" are probably nothing more than the result of decisions based on financial or other considerations and the "reluctance" bit is just dressing that up to make the car appear in some way more attractive. Which I don't think works and may in fact be counterproductive.

"I am offering for sale my likely money pit as I do not wish to end up in that situation and would prefer to pass the problem onto someone else" would be more accurate in some cases.

PS - I am also never convinced by "open to offers, but I don't need to sell the car so will not be giving it away". In which case, why offer it al all?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote