Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 16:33   #61
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

I don't buy into it at all....!

So I wonder how many owners will still be driving the same hybrid or electric car around after 20yrs?...….or maybe even 10yrs?

Whereas a lot of people hold onto there cars for many years, that will disappear simply because these vehicles do not have the life expectancy.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 17:11   #62
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Loads of honda insights from 2000 knocking about, they are 19 years old.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 20:16   #63
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Loads of honda insights from 2000 knocking about, they are 19 years old.
The 10 year old rust bucket from the 60/70s has generally been surpassed. In the latter generations of motor manufacture standards have improved leading to longer lifespans (75 and ZT included). However most folks seem to get rid of their car earlier than that. Just look at your average scrapyard orphans. Usually they need some simple brake or clutch work that same as EV’s will be. I can’t vouch for Honda insights having never seen one in my neck of the woods, they wouldn’t dare venture to far from the grid. Would be interesting to see what the battery life is like in them though?
I note the insight is a Hybrid so I guess if the battery gave up the ghost the engine would still be lugging around that extra battery weight all these years making it a gas guzzler.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 21:10   #64
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I can foresee a time in the not too distant future when we drivers of petrol and diesel cars will spend as long hunting for filling stations for them as drivers of EVs spend charging them!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 19:02   #65
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I can foresee a time in the not too distant future when we drivers of petrol and diesel cars will spend as long hunting for filling stations for them as drivers of EVs spend charging them!

There are now more charging points than fuel stations in the UK https://insideevs.com/news/365439/mo...fuel-stations/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 19:29   #66
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Not really a fair comparison - should be charge points to fuel pumps, and even then you will spend far more time at a charge point than you will at a pump, so there need to be more of them for true parity.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 19:37   #67
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
A lot of the Tesla S circuit boards are made in Derby - sorry but no thank you very much will pass on one of those after knowing a bit about them. There are no charge points where my static caravan is either so no electric car works for me. I'd consider a hybrid if I could afford one.But Blue is going nowhere. ☺
I wouldn't have any car with modern Pektron electronics fitted, poor quality components abound
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 22:38   #68
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

The fact of the matter is we need warp drive technology and transporters to beam us here there and everywhere - locomotion is sooooooooooo last century
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 05:01   #69
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Usually they need some simple brake or clutch work that same as EV’s will be. I can’t vouch for Honda insights having never seen one in my neck of the woods, they wouldn’t dare venture to far from the grid. Would be interesting to see what the battery life is like in them though?
I note the insight is a Hybrid so I guess if the battery gave up the ghost the engine would still be lugging around that extra battery weight all these years making it a gas guzzler.
Their battery life is pretty good, many of the first ones were used as taxis in japan. As are nissan leafs now i believe.

Some fairly high milers here as well

https://sites.google.com/view/teslamiles

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/

Last edited by topman; 17th August 2019 at 05:06..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 05:53   #70
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I wouldn't have any car with modern Pektron electronics fitted, poor quality components abound

Brian - is this really the case with the units manufactured specifically for Tesla?

I would have thought that the model here would be like that employed by Apple - produced by the same companies as cheap electronics but to exacting Apple specification and standards.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote