Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 12:55   #1
GRANDAD LES
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER CONTEMP

Smile Rover 75 (05) tourer - drivers peddless

It is becoming more of a problem to me, that while I am breaking my right foot is still connected to the throttle peddle, is there a known mod to cure this, maybe by splaying the peddles apart slightly? This is caused by my arthritus - carn't be on my own!!!!
GRANDAD LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 13:40   #2
Kev75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hello Les
Have tried left foot braking? Years ago I had a Volvo Auto that had a manual choke always a bit stubborn when very cold to keep it going so I started to use my left foot for braking when it was cold felt a bit strange at first but I got used to it, I gradually started using my left foot all the time for braking. Might be worth a try.

Kev
Kev75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 16:24   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I'm going to be unpopular by voicing this, but then again..... Les if you are finding it difficult to operate the pedals of your car, then perhaps it is time to reevaluate your ability to drive safely.

I don't mean this in any other way that you should be considering the safety of both yourself, your family, and other road users, and having difficulty in operating the basic controls of your car could well end in tragedy.

In terms of the pedal position, little can be done to reposition them in relation to one another, but as a thought a brake pedal from a manual car could be fitted, meaning there is less chance of catching your right foot.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 21:11   #4
GRANDAD LES
Loves to post

ROVER 75 TOURER CONTEMP

Angry

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2755368]I'm going to be unpopular by voicing this, but then again..... Les if you are finding it difficult to operate the pedals of your car, then perhaps it is time to reevaluate your ability to drive safely.

I don't mean this in any other way that you should be considering the safety of both yourself, your family, and other road users, and having difficulty in operating the basic controls of your car could well end in tragedy.

In terms of the pedal position, little can be done to reposition them in relation to one another, but as a thought a brake pedal from a manual car could be fitted, meaning there is less chance of catching your right foot.

Brian [/QUOTE

Brian, I was depresed before, but now horrified! I thought there is more than me with this problem! Should all take your advise/suggestion there will not be enough members left to keep the club going!

regards Leslie.
GRANDAD LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 21:14   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I'm sure a pedal could be modified to move it further to the left should you need to, i'd be happy to have a go if I could get hold of a pedal box.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:14   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I'm sure a pedal could be modified to move it further to the left should you need to, i'd be happy to have a go if I could get hold of a pedal box.
A manual brake pedal would fit an automatic pedal box, and the smaller area of the pedal will mean it is more difficult to press both brake and accelerator together.

It's not an ideal situation for Les to be in, but if the car can be modified to make it safe to drive, then it should be done.

Brian
Old 17th August 2019, 08:21   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRANDAD LES View Post

Brian, I was depresed before, but now horrified! I thought there is more than me with this problem! Should all take your advise/suggestion there will not be enough members left to keep the club going!

regards Leslie.

I wasn't trying to be deliberately hurtful Les, but rather pragmatic.

It doesn't bear thinking about the possible consequences when driving a high torque diesel automatic car, where the engine power is more than capable of overcoming braking effort where pedals are pressed simultaneously.

Brian