Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th February 2017, 13:55   #1
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

Default Front springs; Tourer owners.

Hello all,

Having read the previous and historical threads in regards to front springs, I imagined my Tourer would be fine in regards to this issue as it's not generally thought to affect these models. However, getting in my car today to go on a short journey, there was a 'bang', and I wondered what was up. It transpired that the nearside spring had snapped....triggered only by me sitting in the car, prior to even starting the engine or touching the steering wheel.

My car has only 50K on the clock and is generally a lovely car. Clearly it's worth renewing front springs on both saloons and Tourers as soon as is practical..... I don't even want to consider what could have happened if I had been out on the road...!

Have any other Tourer owners had broken springs?

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 14:04   #2
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikejaytee View Post
Hello all,

Having read the previous and historical threads in regards to front springs, I imagined my Tourer would be fine in regards to this issue as it's not generally thought to affect these models. However, getting in my car today to go on a short journey, there was a 'bang', and I wondered what was up. It transpired that the nearside spring had snapped....triggered only by me sitting in the car, prior to even starting the engine or touching the steering wheel.

My car has only 50K on the clock and is generally a lovely car. Clearly it's worth renewing front springs on both saloons and Tourers as soon as is practical..... I don't even want to consider what could have happened if I had been out on the road...!

I started a thread on this pet hate of mine just recently, if you read it through you will get all the info you require. Mine went the same, at the time I threw my toys out of the pram and stupidly got rid of a fantastic car. There was initially a call back by Rover due to this fault, but when they went bust it was never implemented. In my initial post, just a few months ago I posted a copy of the recall on the post and thread,,,, should help you a lot. To be honest every time I get in my latest acquisitions a 2003 Tourer I wait for the bang!!!
Have a look under Caskin,I think we ended up with about 15 pages!
When repaired make certain you get protectors fitted it "Should" save your tyre!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 14:13   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Having read the previous and historical threads in regards to front springs, I imagined my Tourer would be fine in regards to this issue as it's not generally thought to affect these models.
The MGR recall over a supplier of poor grade springs was a separate issue to spring breakage in general. Springs fracture all the time on all makes of cars. You were simply unlucky.

Quote:
It transpired that the nearside spring had snapped....triggered only by me sitting in the car, prior to even starting the engine or touching the steering wheel.
The vast majority of fractures reported on the 75//ZT forums reflect this mode. Cold weather and a small flexure in the spring - either just getting in or just taking up the drive.

Quote:
Clearly it's worth renewing front springs on both saloons and Tourers as soon as is practical.
The best advice is to fit the recommended tyre protectors. If a spring does then go, you'll have a better than even chance of saving the tyre. There's no way of preventing fractured springs other than not using the car in the winter months. Statistically you'll avoid the cold and corrosion that causes it.

Quote:
I'd suggest it's evenly spread these days.

More on this: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=259690

and: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=256975

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 15:30   #4
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

My nearside spring broke so i changed it then i moved the car a couple of yards to turn it so i could change the other side as a precaution and the offside broke .

Davy
Old 15th February 2017, 16:56   #5
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

Thanks to all for responses. I will be re-reading the previous thread/s in regards to this issue...

Before I order new springs, is it possible to get uprated/heavy duty items, and who is likely to stock the tyre protectors...?

Thanks again....

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 18:03   #6
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Mike,
My front offside (ZT-T) snapped a couple of weeks back just as I was driving off a car park on a cold day.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 18:13   #7
CLINTE
Loves to post

Rover & MG less

Quote:
Thanks to all for responses. I will be re-reading the previous thread/s in regards to this issue...

Before I order new springs, is it possible to get uprated/heavy duty items, and who is likely to stock the tyre protectors...?

Thanks again....

To answer your question about tyre protector stockists:-

1. Rimmer Bros
2. Allcarpartsfast by Endon Services
3. Ebay ?

I bought mine from Allcarpartsfast by Endon Services . Budget about £15 - £ 20 for a pair

Clinte
CLINTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 19:29   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

This will be worth reading: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3maguj...structions.pdf

Tyre Protectors Part Number: RSC000131
Google this part number for full info/suppliers/prices/etc.

TC

EDIT: I doubt there is such a thing as 'heavy duty' springs. They're all standard springs, rated for different models.

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th February 2017 at 19:32..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 01:37   #9
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Going back to the OP, My tourer has had two new n/s springs. In only 50k miles of driving. As my car is currently off the road, awaiting some work, I am borrowing another 75 tourer. 3-4 weeks ago at about 2am, from my bed, I heard a loud bang... Yup.. the n/s spring on that car broke, and it had been parked up for 7 hours......

Guess the n/s wheel suffers more abuse from recessed drain grates etc which gives it more punishment than the o/s....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 16th February 2017 at 01:39.. Reason: Typo ;-)
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:11   #10
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTE View Post
To answer your question about tyre protector stockists:-

1. Rimmer Bros
2. Allcarpartsfast by Endon Services
3. Ebay ?

I bought mine from Allcarpartsfast by Endon Services . Budget about £15 - £ 20 for a pair

Clinte
I have just found these for my P5 springs but they will match an existing pattern coil spring.
http://www.jones-springs.co.uk/shop/...ge-car-springs
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote