Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th June 2019, 13:19   #1
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Default TV Licence

Just heard some of us pensioners will be paying the full Licence fee as of next year, something else to feed the thieving bar stewards for NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- programmes and repeats.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 14:11   #2
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

There is going to be some dating sites.
"75 yr old man,looking for companion, must have GSOH and pension credits."
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 15:00   #3
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

So where is the option to not have BBC progs? The money goes to the heavily biased and partisan company that fewer and fewer people watch.

It is no more than a hypothecated general tax which is subverted to an unelected state office over which the electorate have no control. It's Fascist I tell you, Facist!
Old 10th June 2019, 15:11   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

Just heard some of us pensioners will be paying the full Licence fee as of next year, something else to feed the thieving bar stewards for NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- programmes and repeats.

Rev
My heart bleeds for the V6 driving hard-up pensioner who needs a free TV licence.
where to live.

Let's pay our way old chaps.

Correction/addition - the original posting should have read....

My heart bleeds for the two car owning,V6 driving, hard-up pensioner who feels that he deserves a free TV licence.

There are large numbers of young people in the UK having to worry about how to feed themselves and where to live.

Last edited by MSS; 11th June 2019 at 07:56..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 17:04   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Agree we should all pay our way. But the BBC has a choice - due to it having little choice overall as technology will, I am sure, overtakes the need for a TV Licence when some clever device allows us to access what we want to watch in a way that makes monitoring impossible.

The choice is pay per view or go commercial. A licence fee is archaic tho’ I fully appreciate just what an excellent service the BBC gives. But in all seriousness - why should I fund the BBC via a tax, when I find myself rarely watching what they broadcast? (Killing Eve - being an obvious and tremendous exception.)

I have long felt the BBC is biased and yet I am forced to fund an organisation whose News output has left me regularly gobsmacked.

I would personally prefer pay per view. That has worked well - and allows choice by the individual.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 17:46   #6
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Hi Clive, its was nice chatting with you at the weekend and meeting your lovely wife, its always nice to catch up with folk and put the world to rights from time to time.

I was only talking to my father yesterday about the TV licence fee, and we looked back to when Gordon Brown introduced the free licence for the over 75's back in the late 90's. Then along came the blue's and wanted to phase it out, seems that is what has happened, forcing the BBC to take responsibility for taking up the cost.

Obviously there are some pensioners who are very well off and can afford the charge, but many will struggle which will leave them on poverty.

The BBC say they cant afford to fund the free licence...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 17:51   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Wonder what will go next, bus passes or prescriptions?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 18:00   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Hi Clive, its was nice chatting with you at the weekend and meeting your lovely wife, its always nice to catch up with folk and put the world to rights from time to time.

I was only talking to my father yesterday about the TV licence fee, and we looked back to when Gordon Brown introduced the free licence for the over 75's back in the late 90's. Then along came the blue's and wanted to phase it out, seems that is what has happened, forcing the BBC to take responsibility for taking up the cost.

Obviously there are some pensioners who are very well off and can afford the charge, but many will struggle which will leave them on poverty.

The BBC say they cant afford to fund the free licence...
Yes it was great to get together again - good to talk to you whilst you are now pain free!

Hope what you got today fit well and are everything you want!

And yes - some will struggle to pay and that to me is wrong. You would think that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could afford to allow our very oldest to enjoy free TV - after all at that age, getting out and about becomes increasingly difficult - so the TV becomes a lifeline.

I do believe that the Licence is untenable long term

So why not make Freeview totally free for our elderly?

Failing that - I for one would be happy to use some of the money we currently donate regularly to go to a fund to pay for a licence for someone in need.

But it’s wrong
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 18:35   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes it was great to get together again - good to talk to you whilst you are now pain free!

Hope what you got today fit well and are everything you want!

And yes - some will struggle to pay and that to me is wrong. You would think that as the 5th largest economy in the world we could afford to allow our very oldest to enjoy free TV - after all at that age, getting out and about becomes increasingly difficult - so the TV becomes a lifeline.

I do believe that the Licence is untenable long term

So why not make Freeview totally free for our elderly?

Failing that - I for one would be happy to use some of the money we currently donate regularly to go to a fund to pay for a licence for someone in need.

But it’s wrong
Its about time they scrap the tv licence for all, its an outdated biased system that needs to be changed. I believe the licence fee can no longer be justified in this modern age of multichannel advertising that we have today.

As for the pearly whites Clive, its going to take some getting used to a new appliance again, certainly makes me look a lot younger though.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 19:27   #10
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
My heart bleeds for the V6 driving hard-up pensioner who needs a free TV licence.
where to live.

Who would this hard up V6 driving pensioner be,

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote