Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th September 2012, 22:40   #11
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I don't believe 60MPG with MAF disconnected for one minute!
It will be overfueling at certain rev/engine loads and underfueling at other loads.

MAF's are not there for fun.

We get 47.5 MPG pretty regular from our ZT 131. (good Bosch)
As an experiment with no MAF it dropped to 30 ish with irregular mapping.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 22:47   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2000cc View Post
I would love a definitive answer to this, does anyone know for a fact that unplugging the maf causes damage?
I don't know the definitive answer, but if there was any chance of engine damage in the event of MAF failure the safe option would be to shut the engine down.

As the designers added a back up map if the MAF fails then I'd take it as read that the engine can run quite safely in this mode.

Also there is no danger of a diesel engine being damaged by running too lean so the MAF is there more for smoke limitation and of course economy.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 19th September 2012 at 22:52..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 23:07   #13
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I did post up some findings about running with the maf disconnected a while ago, the damage will only be to your wallet, as the back up settings are too rich, performance will also be affected.

The maf is there to give the right fuel air mix, without it connected or replaced with a maf more suited to another vehicle you cannot expect it to give the same as a in spec original Bosch maf.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 23:48   #14
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I don't believe 60MPG with MAF disconnected for one minute!
It will be overfueling at certain rev/engine loads and underfueling at other loads.

MAF's are not there for fun.

We get 47.5 MPG pretty regular from our ZT 131. (good Bosch)
As an experiment with no MAF it dropped to 30 ish with irregular mapping.
56.7 or .9 brim to brim from home to Manchester airport and back last week (dash said 60, which is why i refilled to check) thanks in no small part to the 50mph limit on the M62

If it was overfuelling to the extent you've seen surely it would be smoking even slightly ? Absolutely no smoke from mine that i can see, not even any deposits on the bumper.

I'll be buying a replacement as soon as funds allow, it's been low on my priorities list, but now the other jobs are done, it's next.
When I do, I'll check the mpg, I do the airport run regularly.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 07:09   #15
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclefista View Post
56.7 or .9 brim to brim from home to Manchester airport and back last week (dash said 60, which is why i refilled to check) thanks in no small part to the 50mph limit on the M62

If it was overfuelling to the extent you've seen surely it would be smoking even slightly ? Absolutely no smoke from mine that i can see, not even any deposits on the bumper.
I think it makes sense if you drive with an extremely light right foot then you can get good mpg even with the MAF disconnected.

The diesels always draw a full charge of air into the cylinders, there is no throttling, so there is plenty of air available for combustion as long as you keep the fuel injected to a minimum.

Agree if you drive normally then at times you will be overfuelling the engine with the MAF disconnected, but drive very lightly and won't there always be plenty of excess air, no smoke and good mpg?

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 20th September 2012 at 08:20..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 09:41   #16
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2000cc View Post
I would love a definitive answer to this, does anyone know for a fact that unplugging the maf causes damage?
In my post I was thinking more about damage to the wallet rather than the engine.

I am astounded at the reported mpg figures without a MAF.

I too would like to know what permanent damage to the engine (if any) could be caused.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 09:54   #17
paddyflan
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi

Default Maf Compenastor

Apologies if I seem to be hijacking this thread but thought my question fitted the subject.

I have fitted a MAF compensator (£40 ebay) rather than replacing my not so efficient Bosch MAF . Now getting 55-57 mpg (as indicated on the instrument cluster) on a long journey with greatly improved lower down torque. Is it ok to run with that fitted without having any detrimental effect to the engine. Also do I need to disconnect this prior to an MOT?

Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singvogel View Post
Pinebob is right.

Your car is now performing on the default settings, which give better results than the clapped out MAF that you had connected.

With a new MAF it should be even better.

Unplugging the MAF to see if it runs better with it disconnected is a standard test for an 'out of spec' MAF.

It sounds like you have never experienced an 'in-spec' MAF.

Not a good idea to run too long without a MAF - it could cause serious damage to your wallet!

Singvogel.
paddyflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 10:22   #18
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyflan View Post
Apologies if I seem to be hijacking this thread but thought my question fitted the subject.

I have fitted a MAF compensator (£40 ebay) rather than replacing my not so efficient Bosch MAF . Now getting 55-57 mpg (as indicated on the instrument cluster) on a long journey with greatly improved lower down torque. Is it ok to run with that fitted without having any detrimental effect to the engine. Also do I need to disconnect this prior to an MOT?

Paddy
Hi Paddy,

Should be no problem - all of us who are running the Synergy kits have compensators - either for the original Bosch or the Pierburg MAF, which only works with a compensator.

You certainly don't need to disconnect it for an MOT - it probably helps to reduce the smoke - which is the only emissions test a diesel has.

Singvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 10:54   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

After reading all the above posts it would seem that the MAF is a refinement to an already efficient engine which can run quite happily without it.

A slight but useful addition to economy.

A bit like the double fuel injection cycle which also helps towards better economy by optimising fuel burn.

I join the others in thinking that no harm will come to the engine, just damage to your wallet.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 11:10   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofs View Post
With the MAF disconnected the perfomance is same if not better and the fuel mpg is looking the best it has been,
NO WARNING LIGHT SHOWS OR CAN BE DISPLAYED ( there is not any engine warning light that I can see only airbag, ABS etc ),
Best mod by far i have done since owning the car from new,
I wish I had done it years ago I would be pounds in pocket on fuel saving etc,
I strongly recommend this for any one with the same car as me,

Top of the range Rover75 CDTI 131BHP 11/2003 Tourer Auto Conn SE,

Cheers.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying about your car but using the seat of your pants as a method of assessing its performance is not really too scientific.

From various reports it seems that MAF's slowly loose their performance and thus make it difficult to assess, over a period of time, if they are working or not.

You say the fuel mpg is the best it's ever been but you might have had something else affecting performance other than the MAF.

What would help would be the full tank to full tank check to give you a really accurate number of M's per G.

Last edited by COLVERT; 20th September 2012 at 14:53..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote