Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th September 2012, 12:48   #21
hogweed
I really should get out more.......

Vauxhall Insignia CDTi; MG TF 135

Sadly I’m not a diesel expert – if this were a petrol engine, I’d say put the car in the garage, lock the door, and get a bicycle… however I can share my own experiences.

When I bought this car, it was clear that it was running very “flat” – I desperately wanted to get rid of the car I was driving, and the guy really wanted one of them, so we did a swap on terms which were advantageous to me…

Anyway, first thing I did was come on here, and got told that the MAF was likely faulty. You CAN buy just the Bosch sensor, and dig the faulty one out and replace it – so I did that. Much cheaper.

Just one thing to say – the performance was revolutionised. Not much wonder you're getting such unheard-of mpg; the ECU’s limp-home mode probably turns the turbo off.
hogweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 20:28   #22
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

hogweed ( quote)

Not much wonder you're getting such unheard-of mpg; the ECU’s limp-home mode probably turns the turbo off.

And at the same time engages the pedals and chain drive.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:19   #23
binraider
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Default Running without MAF

I have been running my cdt (210k miles) for 6 months with the MAF disconnected. The original Bosch one must have been shot, because once i disconnected it the whole car suddenly awoke from slumber.

I dont drive the car that much as i have moved into the center of town, and work from home, but when i go to London every few weeks i make a note of the mpg and it is definitely similar to what it was before - 50 mpg. Mind you i drive like an old man.

I got the MOT done last week and it passed the emissions test without any problem.

I intend to get a synergy/Piersburg once i have done the clutch, but i am not particularly in a hurry.
binraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:30   #24
Singvogel
Gets stuck in

75 CDT, 1966 2000TC P6, TD4-M47

Quote:
Originally Posted by binraider View Post
I have been running my cdt (210k miles) for 6 months with the MAF disconnected. The original Bosch one must have been shot, because once i disconnected it the whole car suddenly awoke from slumber.

I dont drive the car that much as i have moved into the center of town, and work from home, but when i go to London every few weeks i make a note of the mpg and it is definitely similar to what it was before - 50 mpg. Mind you i drive like an old man.

I got the MOT done last week and it passed the emissions test without any problem.

I intend to get a synergy/Piersburg once i have done the clutch, but i am not particularly in a hurry.
50mpg is a remarkable achievement - well done.

If you fir a Synergy2a and a Pierburg you will probably get a bit less - but the car will be more lively and responsive.

Incidentally your car didn't pass an emissions test - because it didn't get one. It had a smoke test. There is no requirement for an emissions test on a diesel and no equipment at an MOT test centre designed to do such a test on a diesel anyway.

Signvogel.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:41   #25
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

There seem to be a few posts on this thread that have gone missing between the 20th September and 3rd October.

Anyone know why?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:44   #26
Wayned
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
There seem to be a few posts on this thread that have gone missing between the 20th September and 3rd October.
Mike
Yep forum crash, they lost a week: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=125230
Wayned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:48   #27
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Cheers Wayned. Don't usually visit the general forum.

Mike
Old 4th October 2012, 18:21   #28
vetrox
Regular poster

Not yet :(

I know I'm a bit late on this post but wanted to put my input as I have had a car die due to failed maf. (however this is a petrol car we're talking)

Maf is a vital part of the combustion cycle which tells the computer how much air is coming into the engine, the computer can then decide how much fuel is needed. Without the maf your car will revert to a "default"setting for the Air fuel mix. Some cars are quite happy with this but other cars (toyota celica for example) dont.

The long term damage will be from poor fuel mixture. If its too rich then you are generally safer (can still have problems from too rich mixture) but running a lean mixture (not enough fuel) will cause det/ping which if left unchecked will damage your pistons or cylinders or maybe something else in that area.

However diesels are a strange mystery to me and due to the lower temperatures and their natural lean-ness means you may well be ok and the extra fuel a diesel with no maf pumps in may well cause a performance gain!

Something like this

Oiled air filters have been known to cause maf sensors to fail.

Its normally best to have a working maf...its there for a reason :P most cars will run like a bag of **** without a maf. I have never known a car to run fine without one.

Some cars even have a MAF and a MAP sensor... could this possibly be the case with the diesel?

Theres plenty of info on the google about it.
vetrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 20:06   #29
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Don't worry you can't damage a diesel engine by running it lean. The MAF isn't used in the same way as it is in a petrol engine, where the ECU needs to calculate the air/fuel ratio.

The CDT doesn't throttle incoming air so it always draws in a full charge. The fuel is injected and uses as much oxygen as it needs to combust. At idle, when little fuel is being injected, the air/fuel ratio can be on the wrong side of 100 to 1 and there is plenty of excess air.

So the MAF is used for smoke limitation, good power and economy with the ECU using the signal to calculate the available air for combustion to determine the maximum amount of fuel that can be injected. Anything less and the air/fuel ratio becomes pretty meaningless with a diesel engine.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 4th October 2012 at 20:20..
Old 4th October 2012, 23:06   #30
Wayned
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Well the MAF has to be fitted for a reason, I would not be happy running mine with it disconnected.
Wayned is offline   Reply With Quote