Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th April 2016, 12:56   #181
splingebucket

MG

Default Compensator bracket

Thank you Steve

A great improvement over the standard. Also, an excellent exchange service.
Old 28th April 2016, 13:13   #182
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Yes, have to agree.
I bought mine a couple of years ago and only fitted this week What a difference and quite a simple job, although I was cursing that rear carpet when trying to get at the side torx screws on the inspection cover
Great service from Arctic

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
Old 30th April 2016, 16:41   #183
Ulster75

Rover 75 Tourer

Fitting mine at present, eight hours into the job - everything is bodged by previous owners. I'm having to undo so much before I ever get to the compensator. Also tore one of my door trims taking the seats out so am miffed at that too.

UPDATE: after five hours with bleeding hands, torn trims, solidly rusted bolts and more blue air than normal in my garage I found out that the compensator CANNOT be changed from inside the car, but has to be done from underneath. Seats, centre console, and both entire rear brake assemblies came off before I found this out.

Last edited by Ulster75; 30th April 2016 at 20:26..
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:11   #184
Hootbleet
Avid contributor

2004 75 Saloon Connoisseur SE CDTi

Thanks Steve for supplying these. Compensator fitted and handbrake now working as it should. Great work and a great "How To" to follow made the job quite straight forward. Have to say though getting the carpet out of the way to access the torx screws was the most difficult part. I know the how to says to punch the carpet, but I took great satisfaction in hoofing it with my size 9's
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:21   #185
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster75 View Post
Fitting mine at present, eight hours into the job - everything is bodged by previous owners. I'm having to undo so much before I ever get to the compensator. Also tore one of my door trims taking the seats out so am miffed at that too.

UPDATE: after five hours with bleeding hands, torn trims, solidly rusted bolts and more blue air than normal in my garage I found out that the compensator CANNOT be changed from inside the car, but has to be done from underneath. Seats, centre console, and both entire rear brake assemblies came off before I found this out.
Did mine in about an hour and a half using Arctics brilliant 'how to'. Not sure what problems you've encountered but, I definetly did mine from inside the car
Have you seen this? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=152526

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:44   #186
Gareth.Richards
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Did mine in about an hour and a half using Arctics brilliant 'how to'. Not sure what problems you've encountered but, I definetly did mine from inside the car
Have you seen this? http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=152526
Did mine from the inside as well! As per Artics how to!

Gareth
Old 2nd May 2016, 20:02   #187
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster75 View Post

it is situated inside the car, unless it has been modified with a different cable

Attached Images
File Type: jpg handbrake compensated.jpg (129.9 KB, 153 views)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 11th May 2016, 19:52   #188
pippin
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon cdt 2002

Hi I have just this last half hour been reading a old post on the 75zt community site a bout a alternative and yours looks like one they were discussing arctic was one of the 2 main contributers to the post they are out of a bmw mini , take a look its in the 75 and ZT Technical help for all derivatives page 2 at the bottom titled = Hand Brake Compensator a possible alternative? hope this is of some help to you
Old 19th May 2016, 18:10   #189
AustinMaxi
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Many thanks to Arctic for supplying the modified handbrake compensator. Thanks also to 2Diesels who fitted it for me at his workshop.

Handbrake now works as it should.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:24   #190
Paul, of Peterborough

ZT-T CDTi135+

Good Afternoon!

I too have had recent success with this fine service still available from the esteemed Arctic; thanks again Steve. From experience, I feel the difficulties encountered will depend upon the extent of the job to done, in terms of the past sins of previous owners when stretching your existing compensator; for me, it was the necessary sacrifice of the nyloc nut on the handbrake lever end of the front cable, which had been tightened to the point of stripping it's thread. Having thoroughly explored the possibilities of tackling the job from beneath the car, Arctic's how to is pretty much how you'll end up tackling the job. Only tips I might suggest would be questioning the necessity of lifting the rear seat, which can be tricky to re-engage, and for the torx screws fixing the cover, use a ratchet and hex adaptor, with torx bit fitted - much easier to squeeze in with minimal carpet calamity. If you're still undecided then be brave - the results are highly recommended!

On another matter, I'm slightly concerned that Mininuts could be my erstwhile "brother with a different mother"..! Your beautiful ZT-T appears to be my own car except for the rather special registration, and I also have a great fondness for the smallest Rover; mine a '91 Cooper carburettor mainstream; most excellent taste sir!

Have a great weekend chaps,
Paul.
Closed Thread