Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2018, 14:28   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default can clutch wear so as to empty master

can the clutch on a diesel wear to such an extent the master cylinder empties of fluid??

I'm assuming my slave has had it, as it wont go into gear with engine running and bit point is near the floor. However ,I have been reading a few things on here about the clutch wearing.

I was looking for a How To Bleed the clutch so clean fluid is in the system when I change the slave

lets go to the garage and try to find the bleed nipple

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 18:17   #2
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

first no

second bleed nipple top of box between air box and battery box , 8 mm and 13 mm spanners required

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 18:46   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

It's the other way round Ian - as the clutch plate wears the fingers on the diaphragm push the slave cylinder further back, which will raise the fluid level in the master cylinder.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 20:13   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy willi View Post
first no

second bleed nipple top of box between air box and battery box , 8 mm and 13 mm spanners required

andy
thanks found it. cant say filling the master is going to be easy. I will probably remove the drivers seat to give me more room.
Saw a post that made a good point, bleed clutch system before fitting a new slave so only new clean fluid is in system

macafee2
Old 22nd April 2018, 21:01   #5
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I would get a Gunson Eezibleed kit, which makes the job so much easier.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...bleed&_sacat=0

Worth every penny!

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 22:37   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Ian. No need to remove the seat. Undo the two plastic screw type screws that hold the cover below the steering wheel to the top part of the facia.Undo the nacelle round the steering column and remove top part. You can now see the master cylinder quite easy. I have a little yogurt pot that I fill with brake fluid and you can easily fill the master pot up.
Old 23rd April 2018, 06:50   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Ian. No need to remove the seat. Undo the two plastic screw type screws that hold the cover below the steering wheel to the top part of the facia.Undo the nacelle round the steering column and remove top part. You can now see the master cylinder quite easy. I have a little yogurt pot that I fill with brake fluid and you can easily fill the master pot up.
I don't like working in cramped spaces, I'll give it a go as you say without removing the seat but I've already loosened the torx bolts holding the seat, so removing is no problem. Even with the seat removed and trim removed it is cramped under the dash. I'm of a mind to get a spare cap for the reservoir and attach a tube to it with a funnel on the end. I can fill it from a better more comfortable area.

I have an eazebleed I'll check if this will fit

macafee2
Old 23rd April 2018, 09:26   #8
drunken_prozac

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I don't like working in cramped spaces, I'll give it a go as you say without removing the seat but I've already loosened the torx bolts holding the seat, so removing is no problem. Even with the seat removed and trim removed it is cramped under the dash. I'm of a mind to get a spare cap for the reservoir and attach a tube to it with a funnel on the end. I can fill it from a better more comfortable area.

I have an eazebleed I'll check if this will fit

macafee2
I recently bought an ezibleed kit and worked fine, the first time I've bled anything on my own and was a doddle.

It is cramped but when my previous clutch was messing around I bought a mini oil can with a rubber piped nozzle from the cheap shop and left this filled with dot4, just in case

If you biting point is near the floor then the fluid is going somewhere, I've had many clutch issues over the year and more recently, the past few weeks. If the slave is leaking you will possibly see oil coming out the bottom of the bell housing. My leak was actaully on the pressure coupler where my local garage had broken the oring. This can just about be felt with a bendy arm for leaks, the coupler is between the battery tray and the engine, the bleed nipple is visible with the air intake removed.

Still haven't worked out how to post images but here is a photo of my coupler, hope you can kind of work out where it is...
https://imgur.com/C4c645r

Last edited by drunken_prozac; 23rd April 2018 at 09:31..
drunken_prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 11:12   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

A large syringe from the chemist and some tube on the end is good for filling or emptying the MC.