Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd May 2024, 16:47   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Rover 200 coupe gear selection issue.

I took my 218 coupe off Sorn yesterday from where it has stood in the garage since last November.It's been started periodically during that time but not moved.Got a problem with it that I have never had before despite it standing for extended periods on many occasions.
I cannot select any gear whilst the engine is running but there is no problem without engine running.The clutch depresses and returns normally.

When I parked it up in November the clutch worked normally and there was no issues either selecting gears or with take up.Can anyone advise me what has happened please and how to rectify it? Hopefully without taking anything to pieces ☹️

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2024, 17:12   #2
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Is it grinding gears when you go to select any of them?
Try putting it in first and starting the engine with the clutch depressed,if it's trying to drive the clutch plate maybe stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel,but do make sure you are ready to turn it off if it lurches
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2024, 17:25   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Is it grinding gears when you go to select any of them?
Try putting it in first and starting the engine with the clutch depressed,if it's trying to drive the clutch plate maybe stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel,but do make sure you are ready to turn it off if it lurches
The only gear I can move the stick towards is reverse and it starts to grind badly.I did try and start in reverse with the clutch depresses but it lurched backwards.Unfortunately I can't try this in a forward gear as it's still in the garage with hardly any room in front.

Old 2nd May 2024, 17:28   #4
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

Unfortunately sounds like a gearbox out job,the clutch has got stuck or the drive plate could have collapsed
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2024, 17:32   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Unfortunately sounds like a gearbox out job,the clutch has got stuck or the drive plate could have collapsed
Damn - the moral is move it don't just start it

Old 2nd May 2024, 17:36   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

sworks (Mark) suggested idling it with the clutch pedal depressed hoping the heat transfer would free things up. I tried this for 50 minutes without any joy,maybe give it another go tomorrow for longer.

Old 2nd May 2024, 17:48   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Seized clutch plate - had this a few times when buying cars to banger race back in the day. Drag it out of the garage, put it in first gear and with the clutch pedal fully depressed give it the beans down the road, and if that doesn't free it off same again with the handbrake on.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2024, 18:01   #8
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Seized clutch plate - had this a few times when buying cars to banger race back in the day. Drag it out of the garage, put it in first gear and with the clutch pedal fully depressed give it the beans down the road, and if that doesn't free it off same again with the handbrake on.
Thanks Mike,hope the brakes work,not been driven for 6 months

Old 3rd May 2024, 20:07   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Good news,I've just been into the garage and tried it again and all gears now go into position very easily with the engine running.Ive only reversed it out of the garage and back in again so far but it was fine apart from some brake squeel,so looks like they will need a little freeing off as well.Be a good excuse for a blast into the Peak District over the weekend

I haven't done anything apart from leaving it 24 hours so I'm thinking Mark's suggestion in post #6 probably helped and just needed a little time to work.Thanks Mark

It's been a bit of a harsh lesson but I will make sure in future that it is not only started regularly but also moved when on Sorn.Thanks to those who offered advice,much appreciated.

Old 6th May 2024, 14:07   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Glad your back on the road, good luck with the MOT

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote