Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2006, 09:33   #21
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB View Post
Sounds great Keith, I look forward to hearing the results. Any idea of time-scale / cost?
No prices at the moment, still at the advanced drawing board stage.

Then parts need to be sourced and bought plus initially a customised PCB designed and fabricated and then the time it takes to assemble and test ascertained, later it needs to be documented and the marketing costed, then there is a need to add enough on top to make it worth bothering with in the first place finally there is the P&P!

Obviously like any bespoke item if more than one at a time can be made e.g. say in batches of ten then production costs are reduced but if they are only ordered in ones and twos then they naturally will cost more to produce

When the time comes to offer them for sale Ebay will probably be used and after a season that should give a good idea of the demand

It would be nice to have it prototyped and tested by the end of January but that is outside of my control.

One thing that will need to be made clear when selling this and that is the box won't magically fix a FBH that has died through lack of use.

What I mean by that is I am still regularly coming across people that have not even realised they have a FBH under the bonnet and as a result they really have no idea if the thing works or not.

What it will do is give people a way to test the FBH regularly throughout the year, so if a fault develops they can get it fixed before the FBH is needed in anger. I run my FBH via my Telestart at least twice a month during the warmer parts of the year to ensure it is working properly.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 09:43   #22
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Where members can help is in a name

Ron does well with his "Rover Ron" boxes as they are commonly referred to
the RC FBH accessory needs a simple and catchy name something like a :-

"W.A.S. 1" box - Webasto Automation System MK1 or perhaps seeing as my friend Bob will be making them a "Bob-Box" ..................... ?
Old 5th December 2006, 10:15   #23
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

the really useful bit would be the electronics enabling the delay in the ATC start up... which like DeeCees fan mod, would be beyond the capabilities of most of us who, after instruction, are humbly able to identify correct areas to attach wires to and no more! I'm too far down the road with bits purchased, though, to be interested. The fan mod, however, seems to be a must for fan motor longevity, unless you like running with no aircon!
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 10:31   #24
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Hi Jon yes we took aboard your comments about being able to delay or rather choose whether to to have the ATC panel running or not. So by putting it on a separate button that gives everyone the freedom of choice and the ability to turn the ATC only on if required, and this then enables one to ventilate the car (a bit) without opening the windows which in some circumstances may be useful if it is not safe or secure to leave the windows open for example.

Some people may prefer the simplicity of having the FBH and ATC always coming on together so depending on the sophistication of the remote/and receiver combi that might become a user selectable option but I don't know for sure.

Once the basic system is built, other features could be added or the remote design adapted to for example operate the boot release this is standard on the MK2 cars but not on the MK1 and there are definitely times when I could do with that function on my key ring!
Old 5th December 2006, 11:30   #25
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Keith

With the possibility of a boot release function as well, include me in the scheme even though I already have the Webasto setup please
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 12:17   #26
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Don't get to excited that was just off the top of my head and could just as easily be a separate product as it would suit any MK1 not just a CDT

I haven't even looked at that yet but as the key lock in the boot just operates a switch that could easily be remotely operated and common sense says the receiver for that goes in the boot if there is a power source readily available as the whole point in the design of these boxes is to make it as kiss installation.

The receiver would need to be a secure channel model though if being used for car access purposes where as the one for the FBH can be anything within reason as range is probably the most important consideration for that

So two potential "Bob Boxes"

"Bob Hot Box"
"Bob Boot Box"

Combined with a bit of input from Dee Cee (Pic Programming) and Ron and a bit more understanding of the various K bus codes. We could get really carried away and this is getting silly but what about a small credit card sized remote that allowed you to do almost anything. E.g. Turn on/off the FBH, turn on/off the lights (internal or external) open and close the windows and or sunroof, open the boot .......

A "Bob Bling Box"

It is all possible, It just needs R&D and enough of a market to make it worthwhile!
Old 5th December 2006, 18:29   #27
welly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Auto Conn. SE Saloon

Sounding good Keith, please put me down as a definate.

As for the name

Roboheat . (as in Roberts heater)
Remote-a-heat.
Warmaway.
Blip-a-heat.

with model identifiers BRH1/2/3 etc.

Please think about paying a subscription to the club.
Its only £3 afterall. Click the Paypal button at the top of the page.!!
welly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 18:35   #28
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

The remote boot opener is one of the few things I wish I still had from my Ti days Keith.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 19:22   #29
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Combined with a bit of input from Dee Cee (Pic Programming) and Ron and a bit more understanding of the various K bus codes. We could get really carried away and this is getting silly but what about a small credit card sized remote that allowed you to do almost anything. E.g. Turn on/off the FBH, turn on/off the lights (internal or external) open and close the windows and or sunroof, open the boot .......

A "Bob Bling Box"
Now, if it ever came to making one of those, I'd definately have one!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 09:54   #30
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

A remote boot opener is a very good idea. This could be implemented as a separate remote or combined with the remote controled fbh using a 3button fob.

On a general note, whatever is done, needs to be simple to install. Most owners are not very 'technically minded' .

I will be more than happy to promote the remote fbh / boot release on my website. (foc).

Ron