Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th April 2021, 18:55   #1
danbax
Avid contributor

rover 75

Talking Bmw 318i e90 head gasket replacement

Had this done by a garage paid 360 plus vat. They diagnosed head gasket failure was the problem with leaking oil.
The job they done never fixed the problem if anything appeared to be worse i think they threaded the bolts on the oil filter housing gasket.
The day i got the car back 2 miles later the onscreen diagnostic showed zero oil and to add 1ltr they looked at the car again jetwashed the engine probably tightended a few bolts in hoping to fix the problem
This onscreen display message continued every 600 miles or so to add 1ltr until i fixed the solenoid seals & oil filter housing gasket leaks i repaired these later, oil consumption went down 8/900 miles per ltr of oil which seem to be leaking again.... when doing the seals on the oil filter housing gasket the 3 fixings that held it to thw block wouldnt torque ul to specs. I drilled them and studded through one side which seemed to fix the leak from there.
Oil consumption seemed to be going in a downward trend 400 mile ltr
10k miles later and after covid i went back again asked the garage ad to why my car was leaking again after theyre fix??
The mechanic states it needs the same job done again and an additional oil return pipe at the back of the block needs replaced as its probably blocked? Common issue apparently. Another 600 pounds please he states lol
I get the car back after them having it for a day and now miraculously ive just done 2200 miles per ltr of oil (common consumption for this engine apparently).
But its still leaking as every so often when the engines warming up or a little harsh braking or cornering oil is dripping onto exhaust.
Anyone wanna know the garage its on Great lime road Newcastle accross from the chippy.

I probably had consumer rights in regards to this.....
Anyway im thinking of just doing the head myself anyone had experience of these?

Shame i just wamt rid of it now sick of it....
Old 20th April 2021, 07:10   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A friend of my wife had one of these with the same problem a couple of years ago. From what her husband was telling me if the non genuine kit from BMW is not used it rarely fixes it. Apparently the kit from BMW includes stuff that is not in the non genuine kit.

He was also telling me some cars had a recall for this problem on some years.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 11:24   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Must confess makes me grateful for the two 75 diesels that I've owned.

Never had to once top up so much as a teaspoonful of oil in over 6 and a half years and 150,000 miles other than full service oil changes.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 09:09   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep mine is the same - now on 412k miles and still no need to top up with oil between 15k services.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 22:04   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Same as mine. No oil needed between 10,000 mile oil changes in 13 years. Also not a single drop of coolant in the radiator either.

I checked the oil and water today for the first time in six months or more.---Nothing needed.------Fantastic engine.---Those engineers really new what they were doing.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote