Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st June 2013, 22:24   #521
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer View Post
Steve, Many thanks. It arrived in the post today, it was sunny, (an unusual break in the perma-winter) so I fitted it. Your replacement is an immaculate job and I am very grateful to you for your efforts. I went with your instructions but deleted the "cut the carpet under the centre console" bit. I took a about 2 1/2 hours to do it but I spent the best part of 20 minutes playing with the rear ashtray before yanking it out. I also spent a lot of time looking at the carpet before applying lots of ignorance and brute force. My simple list is as follows
1) Move both front seats to lowest and forward and remove 1 screw from each side of centre console.
(spot on )

2) Remove handbrake gaiter and using extra-deep 13mm socket undo the nut on the threaded end of the handbrake cable until it is nearly, but not quite off the thread. Lower the handbrake to the "off" position.
(Excellent plan is starting to work)

3) Remove rear ashtray (brute force)
( Should just pull down from top first easy)

4) Remove 2 bolts and 1 torx screw that are exposed on removal of ashtray.
(just remove the two 10mm bolts only)

5) Jack up centre console each side with couple of bits of 2 x 1, 2" side up.
( i just prop up one side the passenger side )

6) Slide treadplate covers off each side of the door aperture. They are common, so LHS goes forward to release and RHS goes rearward to release. Remove the black plastic plug from each side that secure the carpet to the sill. (two flat screwdrivers, 1 under each side.
(spot on again but i use a interior tool)

7) Lift up each side of the rear cushion and move the carpet forward of the cushion.
(again right just reach under and carpet will release from the square lug)

8) Roll the carpet forward. This is not easy task. I found sitting in the centre of the rear seat and leavering enough of a gap so I could get one foot under each side and then pushing forward, eventually did the job.
(I always work from the rear passenger foor well lift carpet and punch it back in the corner next to the tunnel this will expose the torx in the drivers side rear foot well lean over and remove )

9) Undo the 3 torx screws retaining the compensator cover. (there is not much clearance under the carpet for the 2 side ones, so I used a torx bit in a 1/4 ratchet drive.
( As above small ratchet two side ones frst then top one again always working from the passngers rear foot well)

10) Take out little black clip. Swap the compensator.
Reverse the above.
( Yes remove black clip keeping it safe for re-fitting most inportant)

I was totally unable to re-secure the treadplate cover on the LHS. The BC post trim prevents you pushing the cover down far enough to engage on the clips.
(I always do away with the old carpet kicker clips and add new ones much easier)

Again another 10 minutes was wasted in futile straining. I had a couple of spare clips so went with destroying the clips I felt so proud to see unbroken after removing the cover and inserted two new ones into the cover and then pushed the assembly into place.

The handbrake is now great. 1 notch very little happens, 2 notch brakes, 3 notchs very good. I need to strain to get it onto either the 4th or 5th notch. A far cry from the 12 notches to get anything happening it was before.

Once again Steve Many thanks. Exchange item going in the 1st class post for return on Monday. Tony
Tony thank you and for the little write up every little helps cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:27   #522
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

I'm still waiting the arrival of my 'new' compensator, usually a week from U.K. to Portugal.
The car has been 'prepped' ready, using ALL of the photo-guides and instructions, not the easiest job I've ever done, I found the repositioning of the rear carpet more than a chore, it just wouldn't roll and it took me about 45 minutes to get to the forward torque bolts. The stretch on the compensator was about 13mm., so the 'mod' was necessary. I will return the faulty compensator as soon as the new one is fitted, hopefully - within the next few days.
Old 2nd June 2013, 10:43   #523
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Searcher View Post
I'm still waiting the arrival of my 'new' compensator, usually a week from U.K. to Portugal.
The car has been 'prepped' ready, using ALL of the photo-guides and instructions, not the easiest job I've ever done, I found the repositioning of the rear carpet more than a chore, it just wouldn't roll and it took me about 45 minutes to get to the forward torque bolts. The stretch on the compensator was about 13mm., so the 'mod' was necessary. I will return the faulty compensator as soon as the new one is fitted, hopefully - within the next few days.
Hi time, I think that is the point I was trying to make about a couple of the jobs. I spent a long time on the carpet as well. Ignorance and brute force were the elements of my final solution. My wife wondered quite what I was doing sat in the middle of the back of the car, legs spread well apart and straining. On invite, she politely declined requests to come and join in the fun !
Old 2nd June 2013, 11:27   #524
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Hi Martin.
yes posted out to you on the 28th so should not be long now the most important part is to peel the carpet side that run along the sill up to and past the seat belt anchor if you can the as stated punch the corner in on the tunnel side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer View Post
Hi time, I think that is the point I was trying to make about a couple of the jobs. I spent a long time on the carpet as well. Ignorance and brute force were the elements of my final solution. My wife wondered quite what I was doing sat in the middle of the back of the car, legs spread well apart and straining. On invite, she politely declined requests to come and join in the fun !

Hi Tony.
At least it gave you a little work out i must one of the days do a little video of how to fit it as i think youtube allow 15 minute video now dont they Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 2nd June 2013, 12:08   #525
Time Searcher
Loves to post

My excuse for taking so long on the carpet re-position is as follows - less than a sylph like 74 year old, I'm afraid... no longer as spry as I once was, or perhaps thought I was
Cheers, Martin
Old 9th June 2013, 11:52   #526
Time Searcher
Loves to post

Sorry that I've not sent the 'old' compensator yet, BUT due to the vagaries of the Portuguese Postal Service (we have had two postal strikes this month about Proposed Privatisation) no mail has arrived this week, , hopefully tomorrow, the 10th June, I will be able to complete the job!!!

Quote:

Last edited by Time Searcher; 9th June 2013 at 13:55.. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th June 2013, 20:07   #527
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Sorry that I've not sent the 'old' compensator yet, BUT due to the vagaries of the Portuguese Postal Service (we have had two postal strikes this month about Proposed Privatisation) no mail has arrived this week, , hopefully tomorrow, the 10th June, I will be able to complete the job!!!
Hi Martin
as stated above sent out on the 28th by Airmail time 11.08 am sessions ID is 2-903519 so hopefully as you say you should receive it tomorrow we can but only wait and see cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 11th June 2013, 17:49   #528
Pompey_ant
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

You have PM!
Old 11th June 2013, 21:23   #529
TokenYank

Rover 75 saloon

Since I've had my 75, I've noticed that the handbrake needs to be on the very last click before the handbrake kicks in, and then the wheels are pretty much locked, however it takes a second or two from the time you lift the handbrake, to the time the brakes lock on.... I haven't tried adjusting the handbrake, but I'm pretty sure this mod needs to be done, even if it's just for my own piece of mind...

but is the delay on the brakes being applied a normal symptom of this fault?

and are these modified compensators still available?

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:30   #530
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokenYank View Post
Since I've had my 75, I've noticed that the handbrake needs to be on the very last click before the handbrake kicks in, and then the wheels are pretty much locked, however it takes a second or two from the time you lift the handbrake, to the time the brakes lock on.... I haven't tried adjusting the handbrake, but I'm pretty sure this mod needs to be done, even if it's just for my own piece of mind...

but is the delay on the brakes being applied a normal symptom of this fault?

and are these modified compensators still available?

Cheers.
Hi Chris
The answers to your questions are both a yes you need to send me a PM and i can forward the details to you cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Closed Thread