Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd December 2014, 21:45   #11
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Concorde flew over our house every Grand National day when I was growing up. Dad would have us out at 9:45 to watch it go across. The sound was like nothing else I've heard since and that includes military jets.
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:52   #12
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Concord was killed off way to early, lot of years left in it. Had it been built by Beoing would have been a different ball game. Never flown in one but did go round the one at the Scottish Museum Of Flight at East Fortune.
Been on that one myself Steve, very tiny tube isn't it?
That model flight really is impressive, looks like the real thing, gorgeous
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:48   #13
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I used to work at Bournemouth Airport and when they extended the runway and Concord used to come in and out.

The aircraft had a massive following as the roads, around the airport, would be chock a block when the aircraft was scheduled to come in.
The public loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Concord was killed off way to early, lot of years left in it. Had it been built by Beoing would have been a different ball game. Never flown in one but did go round the one at the Scottish Museum Of Flight at East Fortune.
Sadly, the yanks always hated this aircraft. Passenger supersonic transport?.............They were beaten to it.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 07:57   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Pretty sure in the last few years BA were losing money on the Concorde.
They were losing money on Concorde in the early days, later in life it was making money. Most flights were booked by PA's and a survey was carried out by passengers of what they thought the cost was. Having no idea it was thought to be more so the price was put up accordingly no reason why it can't still fly other than the French refusing its air worthiness certificate, even after all it's modifications

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:09   #15
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I lived in Stoke Gifford when Concorde took its actual final flight, not the one on the telly. It was flown into Filton airport for decommissioning, the final descent was over my house. I remember being outside on a nearby hill with literally hundreds of other people, many who had designed and built them. A lot of crying men there that day.

The plane is now a museum piece in Bristol, not before the engines and air intakes were removed, as believe it or not, they are still held as a national secret under the government secrets act. Obviously even today it is a very clever bit of kit.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:53   #16
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post

The plane is now a museum piece in Bristol, not before the engines and air intakes were removed, as believe it or not, they are still held as a national secret under the government secrets act. Obviously even today it is a very clever bit of kit.
I read somewhere a few years ago that apparently at the time NASA thought it was easier to put a man on the moon than to design, develop and get Concorde to work. Not sure how true it was though

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:24   #17
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
They were losing money on Concorde in the early days, later in life it was making money. Most flights were booked by PA's and a survey was carried out by passengers of what they thought the cost was. Having no idea it was thought to be more so the price was put up accordingly no reason why it can't still fly other than the French refusing its air worthiness certificate, even after all it's modifications
Well no-one willknow about how much money it was loosing or making apart from the money men.

They had to once airbus removed support for it.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:47   #18
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I never flew in it, but I have wandered round the one on display at Brooklands near Weybridge. They also have the Concorde flight deck simulator there and the scale model of the plane that greeted travellers arriving at Heathrow on the approach roundabout.

Well worth a visit if your darn' sarf'

http://www.brooklandsconcorde.co.uk
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 09:51   #19
ukmastiff
Gets stuck in

2003 ZT-T CDTI '+' a ZT

I was going round the M25 I believe in an MG Metro turbo when it flew over. Even subsonic it bricked the life out of me.

The closest I've been sadly is a walk on at Duxford.

Absolutely wondreful piece of our heritage ( yes and France's I know)
Old 23rd December 2014, 11:47   #20
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I used to work at Bournemouth Airport and when they extended the runway and Concord used to come in and out.

The aircraft had a massive following as the roads, around the airport, would be chock a block when the aircraft was scheduled to come in.
The public loved it!

Sadly, the yanks always hated this aircraft. Passenger supersonic transport?.............They were beaten to it.
The Americans spent more on their 2747 SST getting it in to Mock-Up stage than the British side of the testing and build cost for all of the BA Concorde fleet.
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote