Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2015, 10:55   #11
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
It appeared in the census form, which I no longer have access to.
I believe that my suspicion of a mis-transcription is the Source of the 'de' in the name...
In the Census returns for 1871; 1881 & 1891 your Henry Rhodes FARRAR appears with his parents and siblings WITH the Surname of 'FARRAR', however in the column following the Head of Household's names complete, the Surnames are written with the Enumerator's convention of using the abbreviation of the word 'ditto' as 'do' which is often incorrectly taken as 'de' where the letter 'o' misread.
Please bear in mind that the transcription of some of these Census Forms was initially undertaken by persons who had no real working knowledge of the English language and handwriting style. Regretfully, this has meant that both minor and major errors have been taken as 'gospel', and perpetuated - much to the chagrin of serious Genealogical Researchers. Luckily we are aware and perform our 'on-line searches' using 'wild-cards' when we suspect that there might be a problem.
I hope that this might go some way to answering your initial question.
Should you wish to see the Original Census returns, I am happy to forward them to you as *.jpegs...
Kind Regards,
Martin Jackson [The Time Searcher]
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:32   #12
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I've now progressed my fathers side back to 1800, but I was stumped on my mothers side, until now.

I've just managed my first step back in time on my mothers side - My maternal grandfather was called Henry Rhodes le Farrar.

Is that two Christian names - Henry Rhodes, or is the surname Rhodes/ Farrar please?
Abraham Farrar married Sarah Ann Rhodes in Leeds 1862 one of there children was Henry Rhodes Farrar
Hope this helps Harry.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:32   #13
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Searcher View Post
I believe that my suspicion of a mis-transcription is the Source of the 'de' in the name...
In the Census returns for 1871; 1881 & 1891 your Henry Rhodes FARRAR appears with his parents and siblings WITH the Surname of 'FARRAR', however in the column following the Head of Household's names complete, the Surnames are written with the Enumerator's convention of using the abbreviation of the word 'ditto' as 'do' which is often incorrectly taken as 'de' where the letter 'o' misread.
Please bear in mind that the transcription of some of these Census Forms was initially undertaken by persons who had no real working knowledge of the English language and handwriting style. Regretfully, this has meant that both minor and major errors have been taken as 'gospel', and perpetuated - much to the chagrin of serious Genealogical Researchers. Luckily we are aware and perform our 'on-line searches' using 'wild-cards' when we suspect that there might be a problem.
I hope that this might go some way to answering your initial question.
Should you wish to see the Original Census returns, I am happy to forward them to you as *.jpegs...
Kind Regards,

Hence my use of the abbreviation (rather than 'De' or 'Do') of D'arcy in post #3, as written in my wife's father's documents. Although I believe the abbreviation signifies 'of', 'from' or 'through'.
Old 16th March 2015, 13:00   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
In tracing my family tree I was intrigued by the use of the mothers maiden name as child's middle name. Maybe this is the case with yours.
Henry Rhodes le Farrar's mother's maiden name was after all Rhodes. My mothers maiden name and her brothers were just Farrar without the Rhodes le, so it looks like it was used as a Christian name, for that one generation.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 15:39   #15
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Harry, have you read post 12.?
Old 16th March 2015, 17:47   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy View Post
Harry, have you read post 12.?
Yes and no

I typed up the reply and left it sat there for far too long without pressing Send.

Post 12 was entirely correct, it just that I'm getting rather too wrapped up in this geneolgy - sorry

Just to make up for my error....

I have someone helping me, he is so obsessed with doing the research, he does it for other people.

The latest thing he has dug up is a mention of one of my ancestors who was involved in a murder, as described in a newspaper.

The article is a rather lengthy pdf and I would not know how to post it here, but it was facinating reading. He (21) sat next to his girlfriend enjoying a few beers call it a party if you like for the locals in a house. She a servant employed by a local married farmer, who was rather obsessed with her.

Farmer very jealous, pulls out a knife and stabs her. She yells 'I'm dead, I'm dead!' and later does actually die of her injury.

Farmer arrested, taken to court - my predecessor and several others give evidence, including the deceased. I eventually deduced that the deceased female had actually made a written statement to the police and it was that which was read out in court.

Farmer sentenced to death, later reprieved to be replaced with 'transportation for years' (it didn't say how many years). The farmer then reappears as an old man living in a workhouse, in the paper again for having himself been murdered, by one of the the people operating the workhouse.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 16th March 2015, 18:58   #17
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Just to add to the confusion my paternal surname is barry (barrie.berry) sounds irish but i think it also has french history.While in america i was asked why have got a christian name as a surname.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 19:20   #18
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

It doe's kinda take over if your not careful, I have just placed a bid on a postcard that was sent to my great aunt 110 yrs ago.
Old 16th March 2015, 19:56   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Searcher View Post
In what context did this information (le Farrar) get published?
Can you provide the document Source?
I suspect that as it seems to have only appeared once, then a mis-transcription has occurred somewhere...
I've found it now, it was in the marriage record from when Henry Rhodes le Farrar married Frances Sunderland

Old 17th March 2015, 09:23   #20
Time Searcher
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 120 MkII XPwr Grey Commission # 31647

In my attempt to help out here, I have had a good look at the image of the Marriage in the Parish Register... If you magnify this image, then you can see that the 'le' is actually made up from the down-stroke of the 'y' in the Forename on the top line and a big flourish to the initial 'F' of the Surname on the line below... This flourish is repeated in other entries made by this Curate, in various styles.
Henry signs his name as Henry Rhodes Farrar only.

I will soon be sending you the promised Census images, with the exception of the 1901, which has so far eluded me in my searches...
1871; 1881; 1891 and 1911, these are the ones where your Henry appears...
Regards,
Time Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote