Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th September 2015, 17:36   #1
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Unhappy Vibrations coming up Steering Column on CDTi

Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

So am stumped and a few hundred quid the worse off.......Arghhhhhh.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 17:40   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED
I just fitted a new crank pulley to mine and I notice a greater vibration in the engine, I think it may not be perfectly centred...
I will try redoing it this weekend, but it could be somewhere else to look if your pulley is starting to go...
Old 10th September 2015, 17:41   #3
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Part no. 6 is the steering damper http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002018
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 19:49   #4
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post

Certainly, on my car at least, it is not the steering column end bearing that has play, but the bush half way down the column.
I have the same vibration and will be replacing the complete column some time in the near future. If it works, it works. If not, not a lot wasted after Rich found an excellent source of new columns and produced an excellent how-to. My column has vibrated since car nearly new at around 6000 miles but just at the time Rover and their warranty went belly-up.
I think you were advised that the new rack might be a waste of money, unfortunately.

Last edited by tourer; 10th September 2015 at 19:52..
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 05:52   #5
Edward Huggins
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Part no. 6 is the steering damper http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002018
Many thanks for this and the link. It looks as if Rimmer Bros may soon have stock. I am assuming that whilst MGRover stopped fitting this in 2002, it will still fit the revised steering wheel on a "Facelifted" model. Thanks again for your help. ED
Edward Huggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 06:24   #6
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

The vibration on your column would theoretically be worse if it is fully extended towards the driver. It's possible that you could manage with it pushed further in and/or in a slightly different position up/down. When we tested steering wheel vibration we always extended the column out and down to test for the worst case (especially in Drive / reverse on autos when stationary). If you need it where it is it is still worth trying to see if it has any effect.

Steve.

Spyhole, Thermostat, IMG (x2), Front ARB Drop links (x3 pairs), Rear Damper, Coils/HT Leads, Heater Matrix, Unions, 13x tyres, Gearbox Oil, Full Service (x3), Water pump & belts, LH/RH lower arm & bushes, Front/Rear pads/Discs, Fr door finishers, Track Rods, Jule's intake tube, Clutch, Slave, DMF (ouch), 1 1/2 exhausts, front springs/top mounts, Jule's Fan upgrade/condenser, reverse gear switch, OSR upper arm, spring, and sill welding. 78,000miles (175,600m total).
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 08:14   #7
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default steering damper

As I already posted, fitting the steering damper on my CDT auto made no difference at all but if you do try then you should find that the holes are already drilled and threaded for it(they were on mine)
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2015, 08:22   #8
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

I had a similar vibration issue but it was a simple solution. A lead weight had fallen off the wheel, so the balance was out. A fiver at my local tyre center and the vibration had gone. It was amazing how much vibrations there were due to a poorly balanced wheel.
Old 11th September 2015, 10:15   #9
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
I had a similar vibration issue but it was a simple solution. A lead weight had fallen off the wheel, so the balance was out. A fiver at my local tyre center and the vibration had gone. It was amazing how much vibrations there were due to a poorly balanced wheel.
A lead weight will have no effect on a vibration up the column at idle.
Old 11th September 2015, 10:16   #10
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1966 View Post
The vibration on your column would theoretically be worse if it is fully extended towards the driver. It's possible that you could manage with it pushed further in and/or in a slightly different position up/down. When we tested steering wheel vibration we always extended the column out and down to test for the worst case (especially in Drive / reverse on autos when stationary). If you need it where it is it is still worth trying to see if it has any effect.

Steve.
Up/down and in/out had no effect on mine.