Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th July 2016, 14:20   #11
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
I love Honda's, my last Accord I scrapped, broke my heart to do that but she had been sat sorned for over a year and needed quite a bit doing to it. In hindsight I should have put her back on the road but then I wouldn't have bought a 1.8T and found this Forum.

Looking at the cars you own I'm surprised you are bothered about LPG being fitted......

Power and economy is a tough thing to achieve.
Honda Fwiend!!!

I love my ATR, best car i've ever had... had her 7yrs and she's had two shells and about 5 engines.
One was going to be a turbo but i gave up.

The only reason i want to stick with the LPG is i work away in Barrow in furness.
The B5 diesel is in use by the missus as shes having to sell her Mazda 6 MPS due to her job moving her 40 miles away, so she needs something economical for work and i needed something economical to come over here with, but i was a bit bored of the diesel noise, it just isnt for me as good as they are im a petrolhead through and through, so the 190 on LPG came up i couldnt get down to buy it quick enough!!

I was orginally coming over in the RS6 but after a while i really got sick of putting miles on and doing 15mpg average.
Plus its no fun, you dont get to enjoy the car at all because the road is utter rubbish.
Its how my MG love started actually, bought a K1.8 ZT for £400 as it was just round the corner from our house and i thought ideal runabout never ever looked at MG's or Rovers till that day, it was a mk2 in amazing condition and only 64k on the clock.
Drove great, but it was HORRENDOUSLY slow that was to come over to and from here to save cash.
but because you were flat out all the time it was bad on fuel, i fixed a few issues on it, and decided they were really easy and quite enjoyable to work on.

So found a diesel this required much TLC and then came all the upgrades 190 brakes, mk2 seats, braided lines, egr blank etc etc, then liked them so much i kinda went a bit mad, had 5 and 2 breakers at one point.
a Solar red 190 Mk1
Anthracite 190 Mk1
XPG 190 Mk2
Trophy Blue CDTi Mk1
Trophy blue Tourer CDTi Mk1
Starlight Silver Tourer CDTi Mk1
Trophy blue 190 Mk1

And now this mk2 190 SE on LPG.

This ones a keeper though as it truly has got everything.

Probably end up with a few more over the years as I really want to try a 1.8t before I throw the towel in, but I wont ever be parting with this mk2.

Few pics of them dotted around here.

Last edited by TomRS; 27th July 2016 at 14:29..
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 15:11   #12
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

You have all those Tom?
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 15:16   #13
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeTee View Post
You have all those Tom?
Did have mate, sold on and gone now... got the Silver ZT-T and the XPG ZT-T, will be down to one once the CDTi is gone.
Old 27th July 2016, 15:24   #14
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

As the ZT-T is a big old heavy car, with a relatively low displacement engine, if 0-60 in 8.2 seconds and a top speed of 137 mph aren't enough for you, can I suggest that you've bought the wrong car?
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 15:39   #15
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
As the ZT-T is a big old heavy car, with a relatively low displacement engine, if 0-60 in 8.2 seconds and a top speed of 137 mph aren't enough for you, can I suggest that you've bought the wrong car?
Most certainly not, as above i have owned 7 of these and can honestly say i really like MG's as a whole, and the forum folk are wonderful people!

I have silly cars if i want to go fast, my RS6 will do 0-60 is just under 3 seconds and a top speed of 220mph.
You dont buy these cars for all in all power, the reason im asking for upgrades is the mid range on the 190 is diabolical.
Ok i love giving the V6 a blip into 3rd and some revs but sometimes you just want to accellarate gently but at a reasonable pace, something both my 2.5 tdi A4 which only has 150hp
And my Accord (even track spec cams) can do no problem
Speaking of displacement, my Accord is a 2.2 4Cyl pushing 280bhp so i wouldnt say it was particularly that small for a v6, the old FTO managed 200bhp out of a 2.0 V6

I reckon a nice 220-240bhp would just give it that little bit more get up and go that it needs.
if i wanted mental power i'd build it and whack a giant turbo on there like the old 2.8 V6 turbo saab's.
But i dont its a economical car that i have a great love for.

As you currently dont own one then can i say go drive one in 190 form and drive a diesel.. you'll see what i mean about midrane.
A 160 mapped CDTi can even keel a 190.

I was looking at going 200+ on my CDTi but as this Mk2 came up i've obviously scrapped that idea.

Last edited by TomRS; 27th July 2016 at 15:43..
Old 27th July 2016, 19:24   #16
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Lot of people forget that the kv6 from 2002 onwards has issues with the piper cams more than 270 degrees, and bear in mind the 190 cam is about 265 degrees it's not worth the hassle unless your going for the 285 cams.

The 285 will grind and deposit swarf and metal into the engine and if your lucky not destroy itself. Lobs strike around outside cylinder. I've warned 3 people now who didn't listen and have all had destroyed v6s.

A 270 cam, remap, all the gubbins will likely see you knocking on 202 to 205bhp and a empty bank balance. If you have change outta £1500 your doing well.

Be as well doing a 190, keep it healthy, exhaust system, intake air system and a remap. Anymore on a kv6 is a total waste.

Anyone says more is lying or has been lied to on the rolling road, especially if it's an oem zt manifold over the zs Janspeed one.

You just won't see power increases worth spending on a 190 02 onwards engine.

Oh and if you want the 285 cam your gonna need to change from hydrolic lifters to solids.

More money.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 21:54   #17
Mgt16
Trader

Mg zt-t

To my mind the kv6's main issue seems to be getting air in and out. From a power point of view I recon you need to junk the inlet and exhaust manifolds and fit an aftermarket engine management system maybe some head work as well should see good gains for a nasp trouble is nothing is off the shelf and good gains for a nasp ain't great for the money or 20-30bhp at best.
The only slightly viable way forward is to get forged internals and a supercharger I recon done properly you could get it over 300 Bhopal but again you're probably looking at best part of 10k.
The 3rd option and imo the best for£ vs bop is to add nos could easily see 250bhp for not a lot of money
Mgt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 22:10   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgt16 View Post
To my mind the kv6's main issue seems to be getting air in and out. From a power point of view I recon you need to junk the inlet and exhaust manifolds and fit an aftermarket engine management system maybe some head work as well should see good gains for a nasp trouble is nothing is off the shelf and good gains for a nasp ain't great for the money or 20-30bhp at best.
The only slightly viable way forward is to get forged internals and a supercharger I recon done properly you could get it over 300 Bhopal but again you're probably looking at best part of 10k.
The 3rd option and imo the best for£ vs bop is to add nos could easily see 250bhp for not a lot of money
300 Bhopal?? you don't work for Union Carbide by any chance?

Seriously though, the 190 KV6 is a fragile engine not particularly suited to huge amounts of tuning, and TBH you are always going to be disappointed after the torque delivery of the diesel.

If you want all out mid range grunt in a petrol ZT, you'd be better off, and I hesitate to say this, buying a 260

Why not save the money spent on a fruitless V6 engine build and just get a V8

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 07:13   #19
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
300 Bhopal?? you don't work for Union Carbide by any chance?

Seriously though, the 190 KV6 is a fragile engine not particularly suited to huge amounts of tuning, and TBH you are always going to be disappointed after the torque delivery of the diesel.

If you want all out mid range grunt in a petrol ZT, you'd be better off, and I hesitate to say this, buying a 260

Why not save the money spent on a fruitless V6 engine build and just get a V8

Brian
Brian,

Bhopal.. made me chuckle, as i mentioned above i know these engines are weak, i was just curious would could be done really, clearly from the responses its not worth doing anything.
I'll probably get some nice manifolds made and finish off the exhaust system then just leave her be.

I'd love a V8 but i paid 1/4 for this 190 then what the cheapest v8 is..... plus 260bhp for a v8 is a disgrace.
I know they mod well and easily break 350bhp but out of the box 260 is just a seriously poor effort and if i had 7-8k free i'd be looking at something else rather than another MG.

Anyway thanks for the responses and i'll just leave her be unless i can find a sprintex supercharger!
Old 28th July 2016, 07:46   #20
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

So the remaps mentioned,do they actually work? I saw one firm saying the remap would take it to 220BHP? That being the same as the Sprintex Supercharger?
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote