Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2021, 18:17   #21
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
from that I am reading that red five has standard brakes (non 190). When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed through and changed? If it was in your ownership, did you notice much of an improvement with a fluid change?

I changed to 190 for two reasons. A serious reduction in feel when braking hard even though they still braked as well as before. After doing it, I flushed and replaced the fluid in my mother's clio, after which the difference was as marked as the standard to 190 set up.

Second reason was, more surface area means better braking benefit, which is always a good thing.

I justified it though because of that loss of feel, but I think that would have improved immensely with a fluid change. The 190 set up though will be better at braking, how much better I really do not know, and I think most who have done it, will have done it with a full fluid change too. So that benefit will be exaggerated and make the standard setup appear inadequate by an 'unfair' comparison.

It is more of a curiosity rather than disagreeing that a 190 set up is better (if I had realised this thought and had time to, before changing them, I would have experimented with it).
I don't know when the brake fluid was last changed (if ever) but had the discs and pads changed all round a few months ago and it brakes very well.

When I had the brakes changed up to 190 set up on my ZT I think the brake fluid may have been changed at the same time (phil t4 done it years ago and had to change the copper brake pipes to the front brakes at the same time).

On the ZT-T I replaced the discs and pads but not the brake fluid and that braked just like my ZT.

Just from my experience, I've driven 3 or 4 with the 190 set up and 6 or 7 with the standard set up and under normal braking conditions I found it pretty obvious that the 190 brakes had better braking than the standard set up.

The standard set up is perfectly adequate, but after having the extra safe feeling of the better braking with the 190 set up I much prefer it. I would have done it on redfive but had a few repairs that wanted doing in one go and at the same time the driver's front caliper decided it wanted to start sticking. So ended up just replacing the discs and pads all round for now. Also I wasn't sure if the Dare wheels would clear the bigger 190 brakes and didn't have time to check. Maybe next year once I've got good use out of the current brakes.

Also cosmetically the fronts look nicer filling out the 18 inch wheels better, especially with drilled and grooved/dimpled discs which is what I fitted on both my 190 set ups.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 18:22   #22
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

The reason for bigger disc is to disperse heat. Heat causes fade.

Bigger brakes don't make you stop quicker, you can only go as far as locking the wheel. But in a comparison on a track day for example the larger discs won't fade as much. They will stand harsher braking for longer.

As it's been said, you cannot really make a direct comparison when you are servicing the brake system at the same time as fitting bigger disc's.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 18:31   #23
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

What is the tyre width on a 190?

As soon as you start putting more rubber onto the road you will need bigger brakes to be able to lock the wheel. They go hand in hand.

Looking back at these posts, in order to fit the 190 set up, you need bigger wheels yes? The bigger wheels are probably also wider. So if I fitted the full set up on my 75, brakes, wheels, tyres it would be better at stopping. But that's because you have changed many things as well as just the brakes.

BORN
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 8th February 2021 at 18:37..
Old 8th February 2021, 18:42   #24
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post

As soon as you start putting more rubber onto the road you will need bigger brakes to be able to lock the wheel. They go hand in hand.
tyre with the same on all ours and others I've driven as they've always been ZT's.

My ZT typhoon 225/45/18's before and after the 190 brake upgrade.
redfive same size.
my dad's 75 - same size as has 11's fitted.
my 190 again same size had multispokes fitted
my old 75 had 17 inch wheels but still 225's.

Others I'd driven from memory all had the same tyre size as they were all ZT's with 18 inch wheels.

Put my old 190 and my typhoon next to redfive and my dad's 75 and brake as harshy as possible without locking the wheels/kicking in the ABS and my the 190 and typhoon would stop first every time.

Quote:
Bigger brakes don't make you stop quicker
I don't agree with that at all. Bigger brakes slow the car down quicker under normal braking conditions. Otherwise why bother fitting bigger brakes at all to any car?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2021, 20:18   #25
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/the-...ou%20can%20use.

BORN
Old 8th February 2021, 22:02   #26
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
The reason for bigger disc is to disperse heat. Heat causes fade.

Bigger brakes don't make you stop quicker, you can only go as far as locking the wheel. But in a comparison on a track day for example the larger discs won't fade as much. They will stand harsher braking for longer.

As it's been said, you cannot really make a direct comparison when you are servicing the brake system at the same time as fitting bigger disc's.
A bigger area, without other changes will improve braking ability. Being able to brake hard, just to that point prior to the brakes locking up is where the brakes will improve. The bigger area provides more stopping force.

Quote:

Looking back at these posts, in order to fit the 190 set up, you need bigger wheels yes? The bigger wheels are probably also wider. So if I fitted the full set up on my 75, brakes, wheels, tyres it would be better at stopping. But that's because you have changed many things as well as just the brakes.
My wheels and tyres remained unchanged at the time I changed mine. Larger surface patch on the road will obviously help matters too.

Quote:
That site relates if you are experiencing brake fade. I wasnt. My brakes performed as they should have, the braking force was still there, it was the 'feel' that disappeared. To me that was a fluid issue (possibly a pad issue, but I dont think it). I do reckon if I needed to brake for further, fade could have become an issue (I never would purposely put myself in the position).

After my 190 set up, there is more feel - this I attribute to the fluid change, and this is my curiosity, how much of the compliments of a 190 set up can be attributed to a full fluid change (should be every 2 years, but I reckon mine had been at least 4 years gone).

After the 190 set up, there is more 'bite', I can brake much later (being stupid) - which is what I attribute to the larger surface area. This will also give more effective braking for the same effort in an emergency situation. Larger surface area (approx. 13-14% - based upon overall area), with the same mass, it stands to reason, that they will generate 13-14% more braking force for the same effort.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote