Notices

Old 21st February 2021, 23:22   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
I beg to differ that it is discrimination, but will not be definitive until someone takes a company to court over it.

Almost all say a mask must be worn UNLESS exempt. Trouble is there is no available proof of exempt so security on the door has to make a decision.

If person says they're exempt and you believe they're fibbing, refuse entry and risk person kicking off shouting your discriminatory and some sort of "ist" / complaining to management and all the grief that entails (social media etc and bad publicity.

Or, as most do

Take their word and safe option and just let them in.
But what are they discriminating against? Any large store now has it written in full view as you enter, ie their terms of service, to which you can accept or refuse. To me, a visor is just as effective as a mask of unknown quality anyway - my own masks incidentally, have a built in basic filter, but I still regard it as a fashion item.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 23:54   #12
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The problem is that I am not exempt and would not on any account say I was. I would also refuse to 'prove' anything to anybody other than police. I'd rather not get into anything and would just walk away.

I was more concerned about getting on a queue of around 50/60 people who, presumably, were queueing for the sanitising station. I would never go near it unless they could guarantee that every item of their stock and fittings had also been sanitised after every customer. Along with the money in the tills. I would be more likely to be infected with anything whilst in such a queue! This comes from my early occupation where public health qualifications were necessary.

The innocence and ignorance of the general public at large is alarming. The truth is I don't believe a single word of any of it so treat all of them with contempt I'm afraid.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:16   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
You don't have to discuss your medical business with the door idiot. You say, 'I am exempt', and that is it. Take their picture and ask for their name. You can complain to HQ and explain that you might take them to court for discrimination. Totally appreciate that such a move takes balls.

Alternatively: The only thing these places care about is their bottom line. So shop elsewhere.
but anyone can do that, those that just don't want to wear a mask can do it. How do you feel about that?

It is a very difficult situation and I think we need to be more tolerant when asked to wear a mask, no matter how silly or frustrating it may seem.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:34   #14
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
The security chap then went on to explain that the visors have been proven that they do not stop the spread of the virus. I wasn’t going to ask him to show me proof of this. So I donned my mask, and the security chap said it would be best that took my visor back to the car to stop any temptation to wear it. So off to the car I went and put the visor in the boot. Then back into the shop with my mask on and past the security chap who never gave me a second glance.

Inside the store I noticed that some of the staff had visors on plus masks. There was a couple of people with no masks or visors on, I presume they had proof of medical exemption to be able to wander round.
Neither the disposable mask (which the majority of people wear) or the visor will totally stop virus transmission. Both devices are used to stop droplets being transmitted (sneezes, coughing and even breathing vapour).

Sounds like this security guard has been briefed inappropriately or just cannot comprehend the nuances. My local Tesco also has staff wearing either item in store.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:48   #15
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

There was talk of making everybody wear the disposable medical grade masks up here. That would be a problem for me, I "lost" the top of my left ear in an accident early last year and can't wear an over the ear mask, there's no rigidity in the ear to hold the mask in place, it just slips off. I use washable cloth masks my wife's friend made which I adapted with one piece of elastic around the neck and another over the top of my head.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:59   #16
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

I have bought a couple of "better quality" reusable filtered masks and find them much better in use ie more comfortable and less steam up of my glasses. As far as sanitiser etc is concerned I use a rucksack for shopping and in one side pocket I have a small bottle of sanitiser and in the other side I have a small bottle of disinfecting spray that I use on trolley or basket handles..Simples
Stay safe all
Cheers Ian
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:27   #17
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
There was talk of making everybody wear the disposable medical grade masks up here. That would be a problem for me, I "lost" the top of my left ear in an accident early last year and can't wear an over the ear mask, there's no rigidity in the ear to hold the mask in place, it just slips off. I use washable cloth masks my wife's friend made which I adapted with one piece of elastic around the neck and another over the top of my head.
By coincidence the chap who called to service our boiler recently had the same missing ear (dog attack) issue Steve and being a plumber he has to change masks at every call he overcame the problem by simply slipping a section of plastic straw over a paper clip making a small hook on each end then using it to connect the ear loops behind his head. Clever idea I thought
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:02   #18
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Bob, sorry to hear about your recent problems when shopping at Tesco's.

I'd say it was a touch of the overzealous security guard either not knowing or misunderstanding Tesco company policy with regard to face coverings, a chat with the duty manager might well have resolved the matter.

My good lady Jean, who is employed by Tesco, can say that it's correct that you require a face covering when entering their premises, however this includes all types of coverings such as surgical face masks, fabric face masks, scarves pulled up over the face and nose, plus face visors etc.

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:04   #19
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

On our local GP site their is definite proof that shields. are NOT suitable, nor are the filter type masks.
Anyone who requests to enter without a proper mask is in my opinion looking for an excuse not to comply. I have seen a medical video explaining the use of masks, and the myths about wearing them causing problems It was proven in the video that wearing 4 - yes FOUR - masks dis not impair breathing. I can agree that some people feel uncomfortable with them, but this is a thing you can get used to if you really try.
I know this will ruffle a few, but having been involved in this issue I won't change my mind or argue more about it.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:36   #20
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

my local tescos said 1 person only. so all we did was she got out the car walked in and then I just parked up got out walked into the store then met back up with my good lady. whist I was walking in there was two women that walked from different end of the car park and said ohh hi I haven't seen you in ages to each other. so they walked to the doors talking the guy on the door told them only one person is allowed in and there were there for 5 minutes telling him they were friend and didn't live with each other evening begging him to let them in. This must give the little Hitler on the door so much feeling of power.