Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2021, 17:55   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Nice day so worked on a little project....

Another little mod done on Redfive today. Something I'd been meaning to get round to doing for a while.

As I have a subwoofer in the boot I can't access the spare wheel without having to remove everything from the boot including the subwoofer. Not something I'd want to be doing when stuck on the side of the road with puncture if it were to happen. So rebuilt the boot false floor today with a design similar to the tourers and made the opening shorter so I can access the spare wheel without having to take the sub out. Also fitted a much nicer handle to the floor from a Mercedes. Fresh carpet too. Will paint the underside of the wood floor jet black when I get a chance which will look tidier.

How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 18:39   #2
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Rick

Will you please stop it

Everytime you post something I think ,that's cool , I will have to do that as well now.
I'm glad I live a fair distance from you or I would have some explaining to do to the boss .

One day I will pay you a visit for some bits
Keep up the good work

Stan
Old 28th February 2021, 18:54   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Another little mod done on Redfive today. Something I'd been meaning to get round to doing for a while.

As I have a subwoofer in the boot I can't access the spare wheel without having to remove everything from the boot including the subwoofer. Not something I'd want to be doing when stuck on the side of the road with puncture if it were to happen. So rebuilt the boot false floor today with a design similar to the tourers and made the opening shorter so I can access the spare wheel without having to take the sub out. Also fitted a much nicer handle to the floor from a Mercedes. Fresh carpet too. Will paint the underside of the wood floor jet black when I get a chance which will look tidier.
That looks really well, and a helluva a lot tidier than my own, something I have been wanting to tidy up' for a few years now, perhaps doing a full sub mould into the side, and struts on the hatch (21mm marine ply is not light! lol). I never considered using another marque's handle, makes it so much nicer, I had hoped to use the original handle, but made do with the original carpet, as the acoustic cloth matched it too. Mine has a a cut out in the right hand corner to lift for spare wheel access.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 19:03   #4
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

That's a neat idea - looks tidy too

I'd like to do something like that but don't think I have quite enough room to get a usable hinged floor in..

How do you keep your sub from sliding around? I've used velcro tape which seems to work ok.

Cheers,
Karl.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My boot.pdf (380.8 KB, 20 views)
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 19:47   #5
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

That looks a lot neater than the original arrangement, the boot floor is such a fiddle to lift up particularly with the flaps at the side if you've got stuff in the boot. Not to mention the hardboard type material is prone to warping.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 19:50   #6
AndrewJames
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Looks pretty clever. I'd like to do this myself just for the occasional check of the spare wheel well to see all is dry down there. I usually have a boot full of stuff so lifting the board up is a pain in the rear!
AndrewJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2021, 20:29   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Rick

Will you please stop it

Everytime you post something I think ,that's cool , I will have to do that as well now.
I'm glad I live a fair distance from you or I would have some explaining to do to the boss .

One day I will pay you a visit for some bits
Keep up the good work

Stan
Haha my apologies I do get told every time I do a mod I end up costing someone money spending on mods

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That looks really well, and a helluva a lot tidier than my own, something I have been wanting to tidy up' for a few years now, perhaps doing a full sub mould into the side, and struts on the hatch (21mm marine ply is not light! lol). I never considered using another marque's handle, makes it so much nicer, I had hoped to use the original handle, but made do with the original carpet, as the acoustic cloth matched it too. Mine has a a cut out in the right hand corner to lift for spare wheel access.

Cheers I've just used a piano hinge on mine and the board is pretty light so easy to lift. I've seen one done before using the floor and strut from a tourer which worked well. I wanted a nicer looking handle and the one on my original floor was broken anyway and found that nice chrome one on ebay

I have a custom sub enclosure in my typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Quinn View Post
That's a neat idea - looks tidy too

I'd like to do something like that but don't think I have quite enough room to get a usable hinged floor in..

How do you keep your sub from sliding around? I've used velcro tape which seems to work ok.

Cheers,
Karl.
Thanks The sub is just the right size that it wedges in place between the boot floor and the metal part at the top so doesn't move about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
That looks a lot neater than the original arrangement, the boot floor is such a fiddle to lift up particularly with the flaps at the side if you've got stuff in the boot. Not to mention the hardboard type material is prone to warping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
Looks pretty clever. I'd like to do this myself just for the occasional check of the spare wheel well to see all is dry down there. I usually have a boot full of stuff so lifting the board up is a pain in the rear!
Yes I hate having to completely empty the boot to get to the spare wheel well. I store quite a bit in there such as a bottle of water, some tools etc so handy now I can get to them much more easily. Yes that's true, another reason why I wanted to do this as the original boot floor was warped.
Old 28th February 2021, 22:23   #8
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

That looks to be a massive improvement over the original "OEM" boot floor. Very well one

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2021, 10:59   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post

Just seen the photo you posted. Strangely I can't see the photo when using my PC but shows up when I use my phone. Looks good I couldn't give up that much boot space aha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
That looks to be a massive improvement over the original "OEM" boot floor. Very well one

Cliff
cheers Cliff
Old 1st March 2021, 11:32   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Just seen the photo you posted. Strangely I can't see the photo when using my PC but shows up when I use my phone. Looks good I couldn't give up that much boot space aha.
Dont know why it wont show on the PC, the image is linked to a previously uploaded image I had.

The box slides back a little more, about 2 inches, so that the spare wheel lid lifts clear of the grille. The box was the smallest I felt I could get away with for the sub - if I recall it is about 10-15% smaller than the figures suggested on the specs.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote