Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2021, 15:27   #41
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG75 View Post
Survey completed.

Question 8, I tried to answer as "other" and stated "only original hard shoulder addresses issue of emergency vehicle access".

Couldn't find the button for "other", so had to submit less than 100 mtrs.

Any one else have this issue please?
Yes, and it nearly put me off completing the survey because I could not say what I wanted to do. The comments section never makes the stats in these surveys, so was it designed that way?
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 17:38   #42
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Totally playing Devil's advocate here.

I've been in a similar position and I'm sure there's a vast number of others who have as well.

Did you have enough distance to STOP in the distance you could see to be clear in your own lane?

But let me guess.... the lorry didn't move out when it was "safe" distance away which would have given you possibly 3 times the distance you needed (lorry weight + speed is going to need much more STOPPING distance).

And I absolutely know what it's like to break down and crawl to a refuge area. Been there, done that, got the underpants to show for it.

I keep harping on about space not speed. And, in general, we know the group of drivers that don't keep their distance - they're mentioned above.

I'd happily see a massive campaign of targeting "tailgating" lorries on the Motorway network with big incentives to change their behaviours. Perhaps the thought of being pulled off the motorway for a multi agency check of the vehicle, the load, the driver etc. etc. might be enough?

Glad that your skills kept you safe and you weren't involved in any sort of collision.

Take care out there.
all it takes is a lorry or large vehicle which blocks your view of the traffic ahead to move out of the 1st lane into the 2nd to avoid a stranded vehicle too late. Even if you're following the lorry at a safe distance with adequate braking distance between yourself and the lorry, if the lorry moves over too late by the time it's trailer is out of the way of your view you're now right up behind the stranded vehicle, the stopping distance by that point would be too short, and add on reaction time you may end up too close to even avoid the stranded vehicle by changing lanes. Can happen to anyone, no one expects to see a stranded vehicle in a live lane of a motorway when the rest of the traffic is flowing at 70mph.

Not only would such situation be life changing for the stranded vehicle if the occupants are still in it, I feel for the driver who collides into the stranded vehicle. In a split second whilst driving perfectly safely you could end up in a situation where you've seriously injured someone or even killed someone, and your own fate could be the same. And if you survive the collision, you'd most likely be faced with a conviction for dangerous driving (as there's never such thing as a accident anymore, someone always has to be convicted) and even a prison sentence if someone is killed.

You don't have to be a bad or dangerous driver for this to happen to you, wrong place wrong time or a split second looking at your mirrors or focusing on one of the other cars around you and this can happen.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 18:41   #43
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Thanks folks.

All completely sensible and valid.

It's why I headed it Totally playing Devil's advocate here.

Take care - it's scary out there .

Cheers.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 13th March 2021 at 18:48..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 20:57   #44
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts
Unhappy

It's as you say Rik.--If you are traveling at 70 mph and you glance down for 1/2 a second to check if you are speeding you will have travelled almost 100 feet in that time.---

Actually hitting a stationary vehicle at half that speed ( 35 mph. ) will often totally write off both vehicles.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 21:23   #45
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

completed the survey then tried to copy and paste the link and url to another forum and cant as the survey says you have already taken it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2021, 21:31   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Totally playing Devil's advocate here.

I've been in a similar position and I'm sure there's a vast number of others who have as well.

Did you have enough distance to STOP in the distance you could see to be clear in your own lane?

But let me guess.... the lorry didn't move out when it was "safe" distance away which would have given you possibly 3 times the distance you needed (lorry weight + speed is going to need much more STOPPING distance).

And I absolutely know what it's like to break down and crawl to a refuge area. Been there, done that, got the underpants to show for it.

I keep harping on about space not speed. And, in general, we know the group of drivers that don't keep their distance - they're mentioned above.

I'd happily see a massive campaign of targeting "tailgating" lorries on the Motorway network with big incentives to change their behaviours. Perhaps the thought of being pulled off the motorway for a multi agency check of the vehicle, the load, the driver etc. etc. might be enough?

Glad that your skills kept you safe and you weren't involved in any sort of collision.

Take care out there.
large vehicle overtakes and pulls in front but not leaving a 2 second gap or any view, they see the broken down vehicle and move to lane 2 but the following vehicle is even closer then the one in front, they may not be able to stop or swerve and through perhaps through no fault of their own pile into the stationary vehicle. I have posted before a link to a crash that I am sure has this scenario.

macafee2
Old 13th March 2021, 23:37   #47
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
completed the survey then tried to copy and paste the link and url to another forum and cant as the survey says you have already taken it

macafee2
Open it up in another browser or clear the cookies.

Thanks for wanting to share this on another forum.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 14th March 2021 at 02:13..
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2021, 07:44   #48
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Open it up in another browser or clear the cookies.

Thanks for wanting to share this on another forum.
clever so and so, used a different browser and it worked so link no on another forum

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 14th March 2021 at 07:47..
Old 14th March 2021, 07:46   #49
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Not sure if it is the M42 but a smart motorway I use is a pain in the butt.
Hard shoulder open as a lane so I use it, then it becomes the exit for the next junction so I need to change lane. After the junction I'm back to using the hard shoulder only for it to become the exit for the next junction.

Should I lane hog and stick to the proper lane 1? Worse when towing the caravan

macafee2
Old 14th March 2021, 12:26   #50
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Not sure if it is the M42 but a smart motorway I use is a pain in the butt.
Hard shoulder open as a lane so I use it, then it becomes the exit for the next junction so I need to change lane. After the junction I'm back to using the hard shoulder only for it to become the exit for the next junction.

Should I lane hog and stick to the proper lane 1? Worse when towing the caravan

macafee2
Cameras on every bridge, so I wouldn't lane hog! Yes it is the M42 - only ever used it to attend the Pride of Longbridge, and I don't like it!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote