Notices

Old 19th March 2021, 19:22   #31
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerthan23 View Post
Hi, sorry to here about your troubles, Martin at caprigear will sort you out with parts you need(google) or I'm sure his number/contacts is on Capri forums, the joys of owning any car, iron out the niggles and enjoy
Cheers mate, I've used Martin a few times now, but sadly he has no 8" rear drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Sounds like your servo is ok Wes, are you leaking vaccum from the rubber hose or fitting?
I've changed the hose Andy and still have the issue, but may well be the non return valve fitting, its a black one and I thought they were meant to be white. Its an old Girling servo, same as on my laser, but the valve is white and at a different position.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 19:28   #32
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Another one here Wes..
https://barumenginesltd.com/services/
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 19:35   #33
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Cheers Ian, I will give them a call.
Old 19th March 2021, 20:06   #34
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Sometimes when the flexy hoses at the wheels age they swell up on the INSIDE. Pedal pressure pushes the fluid past the block but it doesn't return on its own. So the brake shoes can touch and bind in the drums.

As for the hiss. Check its location with a piece rubber flexible hose. Don't put the listening end of the hose too close to your ear just in case it tries to remove your brain.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 20:13   #35
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A hissing brake servo is usually a leaking rear seal. With no servo assistance and a return spring trying to do its thing it will be applying the brakes.

If you remove the vacuum pipe it should allow the car to move.

I use Classiccar Automotive to remanufacture brake parts, great service and the parts come back looking like new.

A hissing servo is an MOT faliure.
If you investigate I think that with a servo not working it won't apply the brakes by itself.--In fact you will find the brake pedal to be quite inefficient and the car much harder to stop.
Old 19th March 2021, 20:35   #36
Kerthan23
Avid contributor

Rover 75 connie diesel, 1982 xr3 & 1974 gt Capri

Default Capri brakes

Did you feel brake judder at all? They are very prone for brake shoe levers seizing, had the same myself on every Capri I've owned, you need to pin point where hissing is coming from as there should be 2 rubber hoses, 1 from servo to pipe that goes around bulkhead then from that pipe to manifold, also rubber gromit on servo where white or black plastic fitting is
Old 19th March 2021, 21:26   #37
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Sometimes when the flexy hoses at the wheels age they swell up on the INSIDE. Pedal pressure pushes the fluid past the block but it doesn't return on its own. So the brake shoes can touch and bind in the drums.

As for the hiss. Check its location with a piece rubber flexible hose. Don't put the listening end of the hose too close to your ear just in case it tries to remove your brain.--
Thanks Jon, I will do that very carefully as I don't want anything else sucking something it shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerthan23 View Post
Did you feel brake judder at all? They are very prone for brake shoe levers seizing, had the same myself on every Capri I've owned, you need to pin point where hissing is coming from as there should be 2 rubber hoses, 1 from servo to pipe that goes around bulkhead then from that pipe to manifold, also rubber gromit on servo where white or black plastic fitting is
No brake judder Alan, but the more braking I do while driving the worst the rear wheels lock, it feels like the brakes are not releasing.
Old 21st March 2021, 16:04   #38
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Don't put the listening end of the hose too close to your ear just in case it tries to remove your brain.--
That must be where I went wrong when balancing the carbs on my CB750!!!
Old 21st March 2021, 19:04   #39
Dallas
This is my second home

Update on this. Something was telling me the problem cannot be just the rear brakes, as the rear wheels do move freely, O/S a bit stiff but it wouldn't be stopping the car from driving freely, but the burning smell obviously says the shoes are binding.

Light bulb moment why don't I check the front brakes I say to myself... and guest what! The blooming front brakes are seized solid, can't turn the wheels freely at all, N/S only just moves.

The poor girl has been neglected, but now she is in good hands and will get the love she needs. Not until I can free off 1x wheel bolt that is also seized solid, what the f is holding it on, not even my wheel nut remover will remove it.
Old 21st March 2021, 22:43   #40
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Update on this. Something was telling me the problem cannot be just the rear brakes, as the rear wheels do move freely, O/S a bit stiff but it wouldn't be stopping the car from driving freely, but the burning smell obviously says the shoes are binding.

Light bulb moment why don't I check the front brakes I say to myself... and guest what! The blooming front brakes are seized solid, can't turn the wheels freely at all, N/S only just moves.

The poor girl has been neglected, but now she is in good hands and will get the love she needs. Not until I can free off 1x wheel bolt that is also seized solid, what the f is holding it on, not even my wheel nut remover will remove it.
Wes. You have my total sympathy now that you've found you have an additional nut problem.

However this time it will be safe to use a blow torch to remove it.---