Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 17:01   #11
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Yup cheers 5W30 Dexos2 now used.

Rather surprising that a vauxhall dealership originally contacted by the garage is still insisting that 0W 20 is the correct oil even though the stuff they were supplying with the filter said only Acea C5 and in the handbook it specifically says use of oil that only specifies Acea C1 or Acea C5 must not be used as it could damage the engine.

My garage only queried which was the correct oil because of the 5W20 stamped on the oil filler cap and the 5W 30 entered for previous services by EH only to be told 0W20 by the Vauxhall dealer that normally supplies their vauxhall parts.

Puts you off buying vauxhall to be honest after the disaster that was Evans Halshaws vauxhall franchise plus this duff advice thankfully overridden by myself after searching around the net, info in the handbook and advice on here.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 17:01   #12
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Oil Smoking & MOT's

After advice regarding oil, MOT says that any visible smoke and tester can refuse it.

Copperleaf gives a large puff of oily smoke on start up from cold, suspect valve stem oil seals but when head gasket was done last year they noted wear on one bore, mechanic said could be a bit of bottom end wear causing it. No smoke after going down steep hill and flooring it, no smoke on hard acceleration but does use oil as mainly short trips.

Has anyone tried No Smoke Oil as advertised in this months Classic Car Weekly paper? Does it work?

Not going to spend a fortune on a rebuilt engine just want to make sure it gets through next MOT without smoking.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2021, 19:59   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

QuoteBRUNTY.mechanic said could be a bit of bottom end wear causing it.

Bottom end wear won't make it smoke.----Shoot your mechanic.--:--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 10:09   #14
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunty View Post
Has anyone tried No Smoke Oil as advertised in this months Classic Car Weekly paper? Does it work?

Their website is lacking on technical detail, it seems a pretty basic range.

Just make sure your engine is up to temp before you take it for MOT.

Cheers,

Guy
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2021, 16:56   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

OILMAN.

Guy you must hold the record for---------------TWO posts in thirteen years.---------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 13:17   #16
oilman

Rover 75 Saloon

Haha thank you!
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 20:20   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Yup cheers 5W30 Dexos2 now used.

Rather surprising that a vauxhall dealership originally contacted by the garage is still insisting that 0W 20 is the correct oil even though the stuff they were supplying with the filter said only Acea C5 and in the handbook it specifically says use of oil that only specifies Acea C1 or Acea C5 must not be used as it could damage the engine.

My garage only queried which was the correct oil because of the 5W20 stamped on the oil filler cap and the 5W 30 entered for previous services by EH only to be told 0W20 by the Vauxhall dealer that normally supplies their vauxhall parts.

Puts you off buying vauxhall to be honest after the disaster that was Evans Halshaws vauxhall franchise plus this duff advice thankfully overridden by myself after searching around the net, info in the handbook and advice on here.
You have to remember that the information printed in the handbook is probably correct when printed. Oil formulations change and and thus a recommendation may change. My 260 is slated by MGR to be 5w30 but (later) advice from Ford (for that particular Mustang unit) states 5w20.

As previous postings state, you will not go far wrong with either grade depending on mileage. I would, personally, not go down the 0w20 route as I think that is too thin and may not adhere to surfaces for long. People forget that you need that oil film present when the vehicle/engine is not in use.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote