Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2021, 17:11   #1
Gazza91

MGZT-T+

Default 2003 MG ZTT 190 2.5 V6 Tourer - Check Engine Message Light

Hi
My car has not been run for some months. I have bought a new battery and the car started first time. After a while the Check Engine message came up, the MOT has run out so I can’t take the car for a drive to see if the message clears.Is there something I can check to clear the message, l’m aware now that this message is a MOT failure. Or is there any recommendations for a mechanic in the South East London area,I live near to Crystal Palace

Many thanks
Gary 😊
Gazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 17:27   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

First step is to put a diagnostic code reader on the car to see why the light has triggered and a code reader can also be used to clear the light - and then take it from there. Do you have a code reader ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 17:49   #3
Gazza91

MGZT-T+

Hi
Unfortunately I don’t have a code reader
Old 28th March 2021, 19:41   #4
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Make sure when you changed the battery, you didn't disturb any connectors - there is one (of a couple in that area) on the top of the throttle housing (if memory serves) that if disconnected will throw an engine warning light.

Sorry if it's a bit vague, been a long time since I had my 190 but I had a very similar experience, sorted the loose connection and engine light went out.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 22:18   #5
Gazza91

MGZT-T+

Thanks for the information, I’ll try it in the morning 😊
Old 29th March 2021, 07:52   #6
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

As Yorkshire says you really need to read the codes to pinpoint the area to look at, otherwise you are just guessing.

Simple generic code readers are quite cheap and will allow you to read most engine codes, extinguish the light and one or two other things which can be handy when understood, such as freeze frame and live data.

The sequence when using is to read and note down all codes shown then erase the light, run the car again and see if it comes on, if so read and note the codes again.

You do it this way because the first read could be misleading due to testing by disconnecting components previously and introducing a fault, the second reading will be the correct fault code/codes in most cases.

Many readers will give you the code and a description, say P0101 MAF, if no description then simply Google it.

A word of caution in interpreting codes, the code does not, in many cases, necessarily point to a component being faulty, but some can be taken as read, it is pointing to the fact that the ECU is seeing values outside the expected parameters for whatever reason, so messages such as implausible, values too high/low and so on, can be caused by something as simple as a poor connection, this is where live data can be handy.

Don't forget that other components can trigger a code, such as a lambda sensor showing up as faulty due to such as an air leak into the exhaust upstream of the sensor, a favourite on rear sensors, so sometimes a bit of detective work is also needed.

You may also see current codes, those that triggered the light and pending codes, pending codes are where the ECU sees a quick transient signal, such as a slightly poor connection on a terminal when the car hits a deep pothole, that is out of spec, it remembers these for a certain amount of time, usually x number of engine starts and if it doesn't re-occur forgets them, handy to keep a note of though for future reference if it is a developing problem.

When you said " so I can’t take the car for a drive to see if the message clears.", sadly in most cases this won't happen and if it did you would have no idea what the code was should it occur again.

Live data is a view of data you can watch when the engine is running, temp, fuel trim, and so on.

Freeze frame, if the reader has the function, is a snapshot of the engine condition (sensor info) that caused the light to come on and should be read in conjunction with the code at the same time, it can be overwritten or lost if the battery is disconnected and be unreadable by a simple home code reader.
Old 29th March 2021, 19:47   #7
Gazza91

MGZT-T+

Thanks for the information,I’ll check eBay for a code reader 😊
Old 31st March 2021, 19:38   #8
Gazza91

MGZT-T+

Hi
I’ve borrowed a code reader and a code P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected. I have recently changed the front 3 spark plugs and I think the coil pack for number 3 cylinder. I will attempt the back 3 soon. I cleared the code and will be getting the MOT tomorrow. Hopefully all will be ok
Thanks again for your help

Gary
Old 31st March 2021, 19:56   #9
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza91 View Post
Hi
I’ve borrowed a code reader and a code P0303 cylinder 3 misfire detected. I have recently changed the front 3 spark plugs and I think the coil pack for number 3 cylinder. I will attempt the back 3 soon. I cleared the code and will be getting the MOT tomorrow. Hopefully all will be ok
Thanks again for your help

Gary
Coil 3 might not be where you think it should be. Rover's sequence is rather unusual to say the least. The coil nearest the front end is no.3, no.1 in the middle and 5 at the end.
And get yourself what is much more than a code reader, the free programme Toaf, use the search menu above, to find out more.

Regards & good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote