Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd April 2021, 14:02   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Thoughts on front damper renewal

With hopefully a bit of light at the end of the lockdown tunnel my thoughts have turned to a couple of items that I might get replaced in a couple of months on my MK 1 diesel.

Apart from a couple of items that I know are faulty such as reversing sensor, windscreen wiper sensor, hydramount slowly oozing for a couple of years and the A/C which has never worked despite the original sellers assurances that it was ice cold.

I was musing about replacing the front dampers ( possibly the mounts as well) being that the car is now 18 years old and I have no idea or indication that they have ever been changed.

Heres what I know is a purely subjective and speculative question in regards to the front dampers.

The ride my car isn't terrible by any means and the shocks don't seem to bounce up and down when I press down on the wing of the car but surely after 18 years the dampers ( if original) can't be in tip top condition?

I replaced the rears about 18 months ago in a back suspension overhaul and the one rear was found to be totally shot and on the other the spindle wasted by over half its original diameter by rust.

So my question which I know is difficult to speculate on is, is it worth just changing the fronts on the premise that after 18 years they won't be anywhere near full efficiency and what are others experiences of changing from dampers that weren't necessarily gone but done out of reasonable preventative age related renewal reasons?

Did you spend a couple of £hundred and find no real difference ( other than satisfaction that they were good for another number of years in principle) or was an improved more comfortable less bumpy ride the result of such a change?

Thank you for your views on a subject that I realise is subjective and ultimately my decision.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 18:21   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

My car is 2003 with the original front dampers. It too, like yours, doesn't bounce if I push each wing up and down and the ride is just fine.

My motto is----If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.---Life's too short.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 18:53   #3
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
My car is 2003 with the original front dampers. It too, like yours, doesn't bounce if I push each wing up and down and the ride is just fine.

My motto is----If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.---Life's too short.--
Well that is my first instinct to be honest, I just wonder for example if it is generally recognised that a damper loses say 2% of its efficiency for each x amount of miles over a number of years ( I just made that figure up obviously)

I only mention it because the rear ones were in such poor condition when taken out when the rear suspension arms were changed.

I'll be concentrating on the reversing sensor, hydramount and air con first before worrying too much about front dampers.

Last edited by bendrick; 2nd April 2021 at 18:57..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 22:03   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Damper wear is usually associated with the type of roads you normally drive on.

Smooth, no wear. Some middle or far east countries and maybe a year out of your dampers.---then no dampers at all.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 17:19   #5
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Been having these thoughts to along with "should i spend any more money on this particular vehicle,"

Lincs roads at present are liken to those pot holed nightmare tracks that shake suspension components of the grand tour lads rides.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2021, 18:29   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
With hopefully a bit of light at the end of the lockdown tunnel my thoughts have turned to a couple of items that I might get replaced in a couple of months on my MK 1 diesel.

Apart from a couple of items that I know are faulty such as reversing sensor, windscreen wiper sensor, hydramount slowly oozing for a couple of years and the A/C which has never worked despite the original sellers assurances that it was ice cold.

I was musing about replacing the front dampers ( possibly the mounts as well) being that the car is now 18 years old and I have no idea or indication that they have ever been changed.

Heres what I know is a purely subjective and speculative question in regards to the front dampers.

The ride my car isn't terrible by any means and the shocks don't seem to bounce up and down when I press down on the wing of the car but surely after 18 years the dampers ( if original) can't be in tip top condition?

I replaced the rears about 18 months ago in a back suspension overhaul and the one rear was found to be totally shot and on the other the spindle wasted by over half its original diameter by rust.

So my question which I know is difficult to speculate on is, is it worth just changing the fronts on the premise that after 18 years they won't be anywhere near full efficiency and what are others experiences of changing from dampers that weren't necessarily gone but done out of reasonable preventative age related renewal reasons?

Did you spend a couple of £hundred and find no real difference ( other than satisfaction that they were good for another number of years in principle) or was an improved more comfortable less bumpy ride the result of such a change?

Thank you for your views on a subject that I realise is subjective and ultimately my decision.
Only replaced my original Delphi's when it failed the MOT due to reported 'leaking' (not checked but at about 135K).
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote