Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2021, 13:25   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Doing the same job but on my daughter's ZS180, both front brakes binding and it's the pistons at fault. Usually I manage to remove the pistons with compressed air (good 12 bar compressor) but these won't budge. Had to tap them out using a cold chisel - one out, one to go. Tea break at the moment. Cleaning with Autosol chrome polish and a rotary cotton pad.
Brakes International are very good, and rather than eBay I'd use their own website. Takes too long to order from UK nowadays so I'm cleaning and hoping for the best.

Regards
thanks. went to their web site but it is cheaper via ebay so have ordered a kit from their ebay listings

nacafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2021, 18:26   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
thanks. went to their web site but it is cheaper via ebay so have ordered a kit from their ebay listings

nacafee2
better late than never, and just in case you didnt find it (I gave you a bum steer on how to find it)

the video I referred to HERE - Also THIS video shows a guy fitting a repair kit which may show you what you are doing too (the dust boot is different on this one compared to the front. The front dust boot more or less just clips on by comparison! - interestingly, these are the same as our rears) .

They are slightly different, but the principles are the same.

I have only rebuilt the 190 set up, buying a set and doing them off the car. But the seals are similar there too.

Make sure the area that the seals mount are clean and smooth. Aside from it sealing properly, it will mean they fit easier. It will go together easier than you would imagine too.

One thing to keep an eye on is the piston seal. There is a very slight ridge that maintains the seal around the piston, whilst allowing it to retract relatively easily. I imagine this could be easy to get the wrong way around if working on it on the car.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 20th April 2021 at 18:38..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 07:38   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I have had pistons out of motorbike calipers ..... and lived to tell the tale

Thanks for the heads up about the ridge.
Going to buy a spark plug wire brush to clean up where the dust cover fits. I may have to go to the lock up to get a G clamp for putting the piston back in, I doubt I will get in in by hand. Will also try to find my hose clamps. Bleed nipple should come undone as I bled the brakes and changed the brake fluid during lock down last year

macafee2
Old 21st April 2021, 07:51   #14
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have had pistons out of motorbike calipers ..... and lived to tell the tale

Thanks for the heads up about the ridge.
Going to buy a spark plug wire brush to clean up where the dust cover fits. I may have to go to the lock up to get a G clamp for putting the piston back in, I doubt I will get in in by hand. Will also try to find my hose clamps. Bleed nipple should come undone as I bled the brakes and changed the brake fluid during lock down last year

macafee2
As I wrote, after polishing the piston and cleaning the seal/dust cover grooves, I was easily able to push the piston back in just using an old brake pad - without any fluid there's not much resistance. Biggest problem was fitting the dust cover, but eventually fitted the dust cover to the removed piston first, then gradually with the piston at an angle pressed the dust cover into its groove, using a thin feeler gauge to get the last bit tucked in. (nb: not 75 but ZS180). Got the other side to do today and have soaked the brake nipple in preparation.

Good luck

Will check for a lip on the main seal as I didn't notice any yesterday, useful tip.
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 13:01   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

repair kit arrived less than 24 hours after being ordered.

I have checked the seal for a lip and there is not one so no risk of putting it in upside down / back to front

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 21st April 2021 at 13:04..
Old 24th July 2021, 15:38   #16
GutsyDogWagon

So I've been having a right nightmare with the caliper rebuild. I'm finding it really difficult to get the dust cover to seat correctly. I've started at the hardest bit of the caliper and worked a screwdriver around but it just keeps popping off as you go around wherever your screwdriver isnt. Any advice guys? I've managed to pierce 2 covers now so I'm calling it quits for the weekend until I can get some more.
Old 24th July 2021, 16:49   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyDogWagon View Post
So I've been having a right nightmare with the caliper rebuild. I'm finding it really difficult to get the dust cover to seat correctly. I've started at the hardest bit of the caliper and worked a screwdriver around but it just keeps popping off as you go around wherever your screwdriver isnt. Any advice guys? I've managed to pierce 2 covers now so I'm calling it quits for the weekend until I can get some more.
use the old dust cover. For the life of me I could not get the new one on, I even got on to the retialer who sent me a new replacement but I fitted one from a spare caliper.

macafee2
Old 24th July 2021, 17:20   #18
GutsyDogWagon

Not an option for me I'm afraid macafee, the old one perished into chunks as I was taking it off. At least it's not just me then I thought I was doing something really wrong.